Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeting about Thailand and Reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like we're reviewing PR 101 here.

The apology should absolutely be public, though it might have been nice if it started with...

I just got off the phone with Vernon Unsworth, where I appologized for my inappropriate and childish comment earlier this week.
The "post it publicly" is because, in some ways, it's also an apology to his investors and supporters. He keeps going off the rails on Twitter with totally baseless allegations ("Linetta Lopez pays her sources"). It's the same thing, and it needs to stop.

As a leader in the sustainability revolution, he shouldn't allow himself to get baited into petty squabbles on Twitter.

While it might not diminish his influence within the TMC forums, these mistakes absolutely diminish his broader influence and power. There's no excuse (and yet his apology makes excuses: he made a sexual comment first, "Nevertheless," etc.)

The apology should absolutely be public, though it might have been nice if it started with...

I just got off the phone with Vernon Unsworth, where I appologized for my inappropriate and childish comment earlier this week.
The "post it publicly" is because, in some ways, it's also an apology to his investors and supporters. He keeps going off the rails on Twitter with totally baseless allegations ("Linetta Lopez pays her sources"). It's the same thing, and it needs to stop.

As a leader in the sustainability revolution, he shouldn't allow himself to get baited into petty squabbles on Twitter.

While it might not diminish his influence within the TMC forums, these mistakes absolutely diminish his broader influence and power. There's no excuse (and yet his apology makes excuses: he made a sexual comment first, "Nevertheless," etc.)

We'll see how long it takes for Elon to start his next Twitter flamethrower fest. When's the Q2 earnings CC? :D

Yep, Elon needs to stop reacting personally to stuff. But he does need to keep his Twitter presence and his accessibility to fans, it's part of his nature and appeal, plus a huge marketing tool for his companies.

Should be this:

I just got off the phone with Vernon Unsworth, where I apologised for my inappropriate and childish comment earlier this week. In turn, Vernon apologised for his dismissal of the work done by the Space X team on request of Richard Stanton.

And BTW, he never accused Lopez of paying for dirt, he asked if it might be the case (I made the same error when it first came up)

Reactions: JRP3
Should be this:
I just got off the phone with Vernon Unsworth, where I apologised for my inappropriate and childish comment earlier this week. In turn, Vernon apologised for his dismissal of the work done by the Space X team on request of Richard Stanton.

Why? Why not take the high road? Why care?

Does anyone seriously think that Vernon's comments actually made a dent in the Tesla / SpaceX / Elon Musk brands?

Elon's brand is pristine because
  • a) he's an incredible advocate for sustainability and human progress
  • b) his SpaceX company literally lands rockets right-side up
  • c) his Tesla company has cars that are high-tech and fun to drive
Vernon is a nobody. He's not a public figure. He'll never be on TV again. He'll never be interviewed again. His comment was meaningless and didn't need to be refuted.

Why would you want to try to make this equivalent?

Instead, why not just say "Look, I ****ed up. No excuse. Period. Done."

Does anyone seriously think that Vernon's comments actually made a dent in the Tesla / SpaceX / Elon Musk brands?

Vernon is a nobody. He's not a public figure. He'll never be on TV again. He'll never be interviewed again. His comment was meaningless and didn't need to be refuted.

Well I do take your point and it's actually the way I behave when I'm a dick, I apologise unreservedly, regardless of any harm done to me. Usually that prompts an apology from the other party anyway.

Anyway, what's with all this praise of Musk, I thought you were a bear? :)

Reactions: phil0909
He keeps going off the rails on Twitter with totally baseless allegations ("Linetta Lopez pays her sources"). It's the same thing, and it needs to stop.

Newsflash for you: no matter how many times you repeat a lie, it does not become true!
Fact: Elon said that M.Tripp stated on record that he was paid by Linette Lopez, and he asked her whether it was true.
Fiction: Elon baselessly accused Lopez of paying her sources.
Fact: it was neither baseless, nor an accusation.

Fact: Elon said that M.Tripp stated on record that he was paid by Linette Lopez, and he asked her whether it was true.

Citation needed.

Elon saying it doesn't make it true. Tripp denied ever saying that. One of them is lying, and

So, where's the record? Why hasn't Elon produced hard evidence of this claim?

I think it's a complete fiction. I think Elon made up the "on record" comments.

I think it's completely baseless.

Also, how nice that Elon is retweeting his excuses...

euzHxhL.png

I won't defend Elon's comment as being at all equivalent. That said, yes, the situation at large (Vernon's comments being the straw that broke the camel's back) was damaging those brands. Every single article I saw(and most comments) on the topic was relentlessly attacking Musk for his attempt to help, almost universally taking pains to avoid any mention of the pleas for his help beforehand.

I can't even really blame the internet commenters for hating him for this. Unless you actually took the time to look into the history of his tweets, the portrayal by every media source would make you believe he just randomly decided to insert himself into the situation.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and SpiceWare

I think the media onslaught has some comparisons to what happened to Henry Ford with his “Peace Ship” endeavor in 1915.

hold on a second, this guy told the news outlet that musk can shove the sub up his a$$, musk responds by calling him a pedo, and musk's apology isn't enough?

it feels like the entire world is against musk, not just this shove the sub up the butt dude. facts are being twisted, lies told, anything that can be done to stop someone...who just wants to help.

and yet musk's apology isn't enough? do you think it insincere?

1) Musk has no reason nor excuse for going low when others do. Apart from ethical reasons he has his fiduciary duties towards the investors in the companies he represent.

2) I hope everyone can appreciate the difference between suggesting someone to engage in a voluntary sexual act with themselves and to accuse someone of a serious crime that carries a lifelong stigma with it.

3) That a lot of influential people criticize Musk is no excuse for him lose self control and accuse a single hater of a serious crime. In fact, Musk should be well aware that people may very well try to bait him on social media and thus be extra careful with this temper.

4) I am not going to speculate late on Musk's mental state including whether or not he was sincere. But his apology was conditional, i.e. "I spoke in anger, caused by you" implying that the victim is partially at fault. That is not a real apology.

5) The sincerity of Musk's apology is further tainted by the fact that Musk describes the quora.com article as "well-written", but the article argues that there is a (admittedly "very limited") justification to suspect a male visitor to the relevant part of Thailand of being a sex tourist. WTF?

Musk could have done so much better. His initial response could for example just have been: "Mini-sub is built on request by and according to specs from lead rescue diver R. Stanton. Sort yourself out with him".

This is really one point where I find no excuses for Musk's behaviour. The man has basically unlimited resources, he should be able to get some help to not embarrass himself in front of the whole world.

Hmm, must be a verbal strong family. ;-)

They should be arrested for attempting to inspire a lunatic to do the deed for them. But even without Elon Musk, Tesla would continue on its path just like Apple did. Not as inspiring maybe, but Elon was not the one designing the cars and batteries etc, and the next 10 years vision is already pretty clearly laid out.

But we may not make it to Mars without him.

Well I do take your point and it's actually the way I behave when I'm a dick, I apologise unreservedly, regardless of any harm done to me. Usually that prompts an apology from the other party anyway.

Anyway, what's with all this praise of Musk, I thought you were a bear? :)
Exactly right. We all say things we shouldn't. There's the gracious, classy way to apologize, and then there's the weasel's way to apologize.

"He started it" is the hallmark of the weasel's apology. Mr. Unsworth's words were probably unfair and certainly unkind, but they were entirely irrelevant to Mr. Musk's behavior and would not be mentioned in a sincere apology.

Reactions: MauryDann
They should be arrested for attempting to inspire a lunatic to do the deed for them. But even without Elon Musk, Tesla would continue on its path just like Apple did. Not as inspiring maybe, but Elon was not the one designing the cars and batteries etc, and the next 10 years vision is already pretty clearly laid out.

But we may not make it to Mars without him.

Meh. She’s 88. Back in her day they really did shoot people for being mouthy. :D