Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeting about Thailand and Reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of Thailand:

:)

Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 8.04.17 AM.png

Can someone tell me why Musk's comment is not libel?

In the US, if you think something is true when you say it, it is not libel.

I didn't check myself, but someone else said they checked Unsworth's Facebook page and it was full of pictures of young girls. I didn't want to know if that was true. But if it was, well, uh, mmm.

I've speculated about Elon Musk's behaviour at the Q1 Earnings call and lately his tweets responding to a diver that with a smug smile told Elon to stick his sub where it hurts. (Pedophiles live in a universe where sticking something where it hurts is normal I suppose).
What was Elon thinking with his tweets ? He's not stupid but it seemed like he was helping shorts to have a new story that would damage the stock price.
Think about it. Could it be that Elon was deliberately testing the market. If the SP only dropped insignificantly as a result then a lot of shorts would realize that any assault on the stock is futile. Elon himself tried without any "succes".
A stock where nothing interesting happens may have a tendency to just wither.
Just a theory but maybe Elon is just cleverly playing the stock market as he has done in the past.
I don't think he is playing with the stock options. He is not that smart and not that stupid. It's job for his buddies at Founders Fund. It's pretty obvious Musk doesn't think much when he tweets. He is venting.

Federal or State? Regardless, Vernon is also weighing his options under British law where defamation, slander and libel are easier to prove.
Musk's apologized. It's likely that the UK doesn't have jurisdiction over comments made on Twitter. I don't think Unsworth wants to get into a long court case where his personal life is dredged through. Britain did straighten out its libel laws a few years ago (2014) so that they no longer have a presumption of guilt.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Unless Musk was in the UK while making those comments, he's likely shielded by international law, at the very least if he never enters the UK.

Elon Musk is too public a figure to just ignore a UK court ruling. I would not be surprised if the cost of not being able to have any assets at all under control by institutions that honour UK seizures outweighs by far any sum he'd have to pay as a settlment. In fact, it's not impossible it's already settled and that the public apology was part of the deal.

So true. I engaged him once on stocktwits, and decided he's not worth any of my time. He was gloating, or something like that about an accident where someone died in Tesla... After a quick exchange, a comment or two, and seeing how much he needed to show how smart he was, and how his p... was bigger than mine, I wrote him off forever. Probably shouldn't have spent this time writing this post... Funny thing was, there were som many good comebacks to what he was saying, but why argue with an idiot?

Agreed with that. He's can be articulate and logical - his financial bear thesis made a lot of sense, but then there was all the rest...

"Montana" was articulate and logical, but he started with crazily false premises. Often provably false premises. And he got really really mad when people pointed out that his premises were debunked by, for instance, formal Tesla SEC filings, press releases from suppliers, eyewitness testimony, teardowns, etc... if I remember correctly, he refused to believe documented delivery numbers more than once.

I might consider digging up some of the old lies, but I'm not looking at his stuff again because he gets paid per click. The lawyers can do that.

I may be misremembing this one, but if I remember correctly, he came up with some lunatic conspiracy theory that Tesla was selling Teslas at bulk to a car auction house, even after being informed that (a) Tesla sold ICE trade-ins to that auction house, and (b) you could check the public records of the auction house to see that the vehicles transferred to them by Tesla were ICE cars, and (c) the only Teslas transferred to the auction house came from sources other than Tesla. After being informed of this, no correction in the article, naturally.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and madodel