Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweets - count @ 198k & rethinking prod - east coast doomed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bet 25% of those orders don't go through. Surely more will pre-order, but you will jump them in the queue. But yes, you're kinda screwed on the East Coast. Minimum 6-9 month wait I bet.

More like 25% of the reservations will turn into actual orders. I'm sure many people will reconsider when it gets closer to order time and they have to spec the car out and write the "big" check or arrange financing.

I believe that out of the Model S reservations something like 90% bailed.

More like 25% of the reservations will turn into actual orders. I'm sure many people will reconsider when it gets closer to order time and they have to spec the car out and write the "big" check or arrange financing.

I believe that out of the Model S reservations something like 90% bailed.

Possible, but by production time they will easily have 300-500k reservations even counting attrition. There will be a new burst near production.

This builds on what I said yesterday.

How can you prioritize based on multiple factors (employee, existing owner, location, option level) when you have at least 18 months until launch?

My reservation went through at 10:11AM yesterday and I am on the east coast. At what point do all those higher on the "order food chain" no longer get priority over me?

There has to be SOME advantage to having stood in line for 6 hours yesterday to reserve right when the store opened. At some point, new orders have to stop having priority over older ones regardless of whether or not they should based on all the factors I referenced above.
I think at some point he may decide to just do higher spec'd cars across the board and ship them across the continent... then work downwards from there. i think thats' better than going west/midwest/east. I say this knowing i'm going to highly option my car hahah

Reactions: Red Sage
Because of the tax credit phaseout, Tesla is going to have to plan to build *all* the US models before *any* of the non-US models, to maximize the benefit for their customers. Unless there's a tax credit being phased out in some other country too!

This priority issue has been beaten to death. See information from this thread here: East Coasters to get short end of the stick
Especially see post # 19 within that thread: East Coasters to get short end of the stick

Basically, to summarize, it would make sense in accordance with Tesla Motor's desire to ship out the highly priced Model 3 first, from west coast to east coast, then move down the Model 3 tier and ship out the next batch of lower cost Model 3. Within each batch, priority is picked from previous owners, employees, and first come first serve. So the east coast isn't entirely doomed. Just those who wants a basic Model 3 would be in for a long wait.
this is exactly how i assume it'll play out now. PxxD for me please!

In it's hayday that Freemont plant was producing 500k Toyotas a year...:)

So the challenge the Tesla engineers now have is to design a production process that is at least as efficient as Toyota did with ICE vehicles.

That will be the biggest driver on production costs and time. It will also be the number one cause for changes to the car from today to production.

And I'm not even the one who should really be concerned. What about those outside N. America?

At the end of the day I just hope they can communicate how things will work, and that there is hope for those of us east of CA (and to be fair, outside N. America).

Thanks for thinking of us :). Right hand drive countries were already going to way behind. I'm hoping that the RHD plans were linked to timing of production line modifications or planning or something and not pushed to after all the initial LHD reservers get their cars. That would mean the first 200K cars off the line would be for LHD Countries before we even get a look in. I was thinking it would be March April 2018 before we got one "down under". Two years I can handle but longer will be torture.

For the Tesla stock shorters though it still won't make me cancel! The car is sold to me, And we don't get any kind of incentives here and we pay for shippnig across the ocean and sales tax and stamp duty etc etc etc. Base here will be $60K. Whatever. I bought a Model 3 and I' ecstatic.

Reactions: S3XY and Red Sage
Basically, to summarize, it would make sense in accordance with Tesla Motor's desire to ship out the highly priced Model 3 first, from west coast to east coast, then move down the Model 3 tier and ship out the next batch of lower cost Model 3. Within each batch, priority is picked from previous owners, employees, and first come first serve. So the east coast isn't entirely doomed. Just those who wants a basic Model 3 would be in for a long wait.

I agree - I think they will roll it out in batches. Maybe even in batches of 5,000 highly optioned each region, then move back to the first region and repeat until they work their way down the options & orders. I would imagine if an employee wanted priority they would have already had to place their reservation, especially since they could do it before the 31st. It would make sense to work through all the orders through day 1 or 2 and then after those are filled start on the people who reserved day 3 or later, etc depending on reservation quantities. Current owners who reserved in the first day or two would get priority in that batch. I highly doubt a person, or previous owner, could walk into a store on the West coast days or months later and jump the line just because they are on the West coast or own a Tesla. At some time they would need to pause & fill RHD orders & then go back to LHD orders otherwise the RHD orders would never get filled. With the revealed dash design, I don't think it will take too much retooling to switch between RHD & LHD production.

Because of the tax credit phaseout, Tesla is going to have to plan to build *all* the US models before *any* of the non-US models, to maximize the benefit for their customers. Unless there's a tax credit being phased out in some other country too!

No because the US tax credit only applies to the first 200,000 cars they sold in the US. They have sold plenty overseas and will continue to without any affect to the US tax credit.

Good 'ol Anton on Seeking Alpha already tried his hand at it this morning. His argument is this: Tesla is losing $20K per car today. The 100K backlog of Model 3 orders x $20K = a loss of $20 billion. Therefore, Tesla will soon go bankrupt, so start shorting now.

Gotta love him, as well as his partner in crime Montana Skeptic.

Of course that math only works if it's costing them $20K more to build a car than they sell it for. They are losing money, but they actually sell Model S and Model Xs for around 20K more than they cost to produce. So they make $20K a car. Because they have a lot invested in R&D, they are expanding the supercharger network, building the Gigafactory, as well as various overhead costs, when all those things are totaled up, they lose money and if you divide it by the number of cars sold, it comes to $20K a car. Or it did near the end of last year when Model X production was tiny and before the year end building blitz.

The numbers for the first quarter will tell a different tale. They cut back on supercharger installations, I think they may have slowed down the Gigafactory build a little, and Model X production has ramped up. If they have a loss this quarter, I expect it to be significantly smaller than last year, and they may manage to eek out a small profit.

When the Model 3 hits its production stride, the company will probably be able to post consistent profits, or at least break even. I expect they will be rolling all their profits back into the company for some time to come. The Model Y comes after the Model 3, then the next gen Roadster, superchargers and service centers will need to be added as well as building more factories. The base income to support these things will continue to expand though. Something the chicken little investors don't seem to get.

The idea that all West Coast reservations will be filled before any East Coast reservations, makes no sense to me. I expect that the first batch of cars will go to the West Coast and then batches will work east from there. But the idea that those on the East Coast, never mind Europe and other overseas markets, will have to wait until all the West Coast reservations have been filled seems very unlikely to me.

I think the angst over this issue is unjustified.

Exactly, there are a lot of unwarranted and pessimistic assumptions being made on this thread.