Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have a hard time believing the crazy hour stuff.
1. If overstaffed plenty of people to take on work without working crazy hours.
2. Tech workers. Yeah you treat us like crap and we are out the door. Sorry Elon, see ya.
3. Elon has to understand that with software engineering you really get very diminished returns when you cant think because you havent had rest.

Oh yeah and it will be the best people that you want to keep that will leave 1st.

Actually wife going thru this right now. New boss treats people like crap. She was the top IT sales person at the company. Not anymore starts new position for far more money in 2 weeks.

Last edited:
A few years ago I worked for a somewhat small company. This company was bought by a giant multinational corporation. They saw this purchase as an investment and therefore wanted to make a profit off of it.

So raises were frozen. Hiring was largely frozen. We were constantly pressured to put in more hours without pay.

This might have seemed rational in a narrow view. But this was 2018 with a very hot economy, especially for tech workers. So everyone who could get a better job elsewhere, myself included, did so. This left the company with the employees who could not get a better job elsewhere. Not a great recipe for the long term health of a company.

Elon's kind of a celebrity CEO. I think he's used to having a lot of people really wanting to work for him. I think he might not appreciate the risk he's facing of damaging twitters workforce by hollowing out the productive employees.
yup/ spot on. the FIRST employees who leave are those with great skills and *plenty* of options (= same/better pay but less crazy work environment). The LAST employees who leave (or get laid off) are underperformers who have limited options and couldn't cut it elsewhere. If Elon isn't careful there will be a significant brain drain from twitter...

Lot's of critics in here, reminds me of a great T.R. excerpt -

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Whether he fixes Twitter, or doesn't / overpaid, tried to get out, whatever - he is in there doing something that he feels is right.
Who are we to criticize that effort?

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Whether he fixes Twitter, or doesn't / overpaid, tried to get out, whatever - he is in there doing something that he feels is right.
Free speech. Isnt that what Elons says?

I would hazard a guess that a large portion of the members of this community, including those contributing to this conversation, are engineers of one discipline or another. We're not commenting on something we know nothing about or haven't had a hand in building.

All this talk about the best employees leaving Twitter due to abuse is just so much uninformed nonsense. And based on something "researched" by smear artist Lora Kolodny. You've got to be kidding me.

When you're any good and work at a place with a fair number of non-productive fools, what you want more than anything is to see them all get fired. I mean, you're doing all the work anyway, so what are they paying those other people for? Chances are they're just making your job harder through constant screw-ups.

Elon's stellar reputation for creating a productive workplace means that nobody really good will leave. They'll wait a few weeks to see whether Elon is really cleaning house. If he does, they'll stay and be much happier and more productive.

Meanwhile, sure, the non-productive people will sleep in their offices while trying to substitute lots of hours for competence at their jobs. For most, it will be a ploy that won't work. People too incompetent to understand that "I put in long hours" isn't as good as "I get stuff done" are best gone.

Sorry, people don’t need to check their critical thinking skills at the door just because they can’t land rockets. We can hold two simultaneous thoughts in our heads at the same time: Musk is a great engineer. Musk is at the forefront of a conspiracy-minded ideology that has gripped parts of the country.

There are indeed reports that the attacker was a white guy on an overstayed Visa from Canada. I'm not sure if that's gonna make a good "illegals from Mexico are the root of our country's problems and we need a wall" argument, but yeah.

Meanwhile, back on topic, I'm more concerned about the equally early report that Elon is diverting staff from TSLA to TWTR - note that TSLA is public while TWTR is Elon's private adventure - the conflict of interest there is.... problematic at best
Should be problematic to all us shareholders.

Status
Not open for further replies.