Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen first hand how a cult can transform someone in ways you'd never think possible.
A loud portion of the Tesla community is basically a cult. The part of the community that says that Elon and Tesla can do no wrong despite clear evidence to the contrary, or flicks away evidence with weak excuses. I'd like to think that the more rational among us who can see both sides of the coin see that there are clear weaknesses that can be addressed, but that doesn't mean that we don't believe in the mission.

That didn't answer my question though. Is there any explanation for Elon's lashing out at Mastadon in such a repugnant way? Is Elon lashing out at random targets now, without provocation, assuming that everyone is his enemy now?

Here is his original tweet.

It's quite simple - Elon thought his post was funny.

I won’t rant, but I have also been key in all kinds of engineering work…. Key meaning asking questions “can we do this” “why not” “ok get it done”
To be fair to yourself - asking those types of questions are important in the proper context.

Actually Tesla brand has some “cachet”.

As long as Elon’s Twitter / political saga doesn’t damage the brand, we are fine.
Too late for that IMO. The question now is how can the brand rebuild.

I saw that the official Tesla Twitter account recently unfollowed a bunch of accounts and has been more active lately. I'm going to take that as a good sign that perhaps there is a real PR person/team working on the account now.

(I think SpaceX is very different btw, because Tesla and SpaceX clearly get help from each other -- there is no evidence that anything done at Twitter will help Tesla's engineering efforts).
Musk has owned Twitter for what 2 weeks?

Of course there is little value there now. In 3-5 years how much synergy will exist between the 2 companies? We know there is some value in Twitter for Tesla's PR efforts. There is also likely to be some machine learning, language processing, (eventually) financial, and AI efforts inside Twitter which will benefit Tesla and widen Tesla's hiring pool. Much like people join Tesla hoping it'll help them get into SpaceX, people will join Twitter hoping it'll get them into Tesla.

Looking at Twitter today is a mistake. Look at what Twitter can become down the road and the potential for synergies and resource sharing widens a lot.

GM has handsfree ... where is Tesla here?

Seriously, do you even have a clue about these systems?

I travel, a LOT for work. I purposely rent cars, EVs when possible (Turo and Hertz) to see where the competition is.

1) Tesla's EV experience (driving) is second to none, with the Porsche Taycan being a close second. I would give the Mach E third place, and possibly would have given it second, but the GT trim of the Mach E has some MAJOR problems sustaining power output (and it's a big design issue - insufficient cooling - not a SW fix).
2) Tesla's FSD beta experience is so much better than any of the other systems, it's just not even remotely close. Like . . . not in the same planet close. The others have major MAJOR problems if road markings are not perfect, the system hasn't been on the road, etc. FSD isn't perfect, but it's just so far more advanced than the "competition".

Too late for that IMO. The question now is how can the brand rebuild.

This morning, for the second time this week another friend texted to ask how long I’ll be keeping the car.
When he did, I was driving to vote. At the poll I started yacking with an electioneer for GOP county clerk candidate, who sold used cars... always dig talking to car guys...even after it becomes clear they’re full MAGA in this case.
Eventually he asked what I was driving... I pointed, he went on tear about how he’d never drive an EV. I bragged about the acceleration. He was having none of it. “But man, Elon Musk, he’s alllll right!"
The circumstantial evidence of the real fallout from this Twitter mess is piling up.
He did ask me to punch it out of the lot, which I obliged, since we are all fellow Americans in this together.

I would add that he is excellent at creating controversy, which, in turn, explodes his metrics. He’s not nuts.
While interviewing Anders Puck Nielsen (a Dane), Jake Broe was asked about Elon's Ukraine tweets. Jake said that Elon took a page out of Trump's playbook and is intentionally creating controversy.

This morning, for the second time this week another friend texted to ask how long I’ll be keeping the car.
When he did, I was driving to vote. At the poll I started yacking with an electioneer for GOP county clerk candidate, who sold used cars... always dig talking to car guys...even after it becomes clear they’re full MAGA in this case.
Eventually he asked what I was driving... I pointed, he went on tear about how he’d never drive an EV. I bragged about the acceleration. He was having none of it. “But man, Elon Musk, he’s alllll right!"
The circumstantial evidence of the real fallout from this Twitter mess is piling up.
He did ask me to punch it out of the lot, which I obliged, since we are all fellow Americans in this together.
There ya go. Elons plan becomes clear.

Alienate the ev buyers but gain the Twitter blue users.

He only needs to find 2.3 billion people willing to pay 8 bucks a month to own the libs to overtake teslas operating income.

There ya go. Elons plan becomes clear.

Alienate the ev buyers but gain the Twitter blue users.

He only needs to find 2.3 billion people willing to pay 8 bucks a month to own the libs to overtake teslas operating income.
You’re assuming that progressives will stop buying his cars. And maybe you’re right about a portion of them — But most won’t.

They’ll suck it up and buy the EV with the best network and innovation for their price segment (a Tesla) because convenience wins out over feelings.

You’re assuming that progressives will stop buying his cars. And maybe you’re right about a portion of them — But most won’t.

They’ll suck it up and buy the EV with the best network and innovation for their price segment (a Tesla) because convenience wins out over feelings.

I'm not even sure what they will "Suck up". People keep blathering about how I (as a very left leaning independent) should be offended by Musk, but honestly I just don't see it. Maybe I'm not "Left" enough. But then how many people are on the far left anyhow?

If the only one Musk is really bothering is the far left, people should take a look at the way the vote is going in our country this year.

yup. that's a great marketing approach. super sustainable ("the suckers buy it anyway").
The only sucker is someone who seriously pretends that the current Model Y truly is a $66k+ subcompact SUV with corresponding service/build quality...
And that the Model S is a $105k+ vehicle with the same fit/finish/service/ride comfort as a Mercedes EQS

I'm fascinated with the disagreements my seemingly rational positions get into here.

I correctly predicted Elon would run amok with Twitter if he got control and he has. Free Speech Absolutism was an immediate failed doctorine that he himself quickly abandoned. He rants against the advertisers who fund the thing, then whines that they won't come back. He repeatedly demonstrates that he personally cannot follow Twitters own moderation guidelines by putting up Q-level conspiracy nonsense...

But for some reason, every bit of that has to be argued with despite it being right there in broad daylight.

And then, when I dare point out in balance that Elon is an excellent engineer with dozens of proven projects and innovations.... yeah, people have to argue about that stunningly obvious truth too. They can't tell you who, but they are certain someone else did it for Elon, despite the curious reality that highly motivated competitors with tons of bright people couldn't do it. Sure looks like he might be a key ingredient, but hey - folks wanna argue.

As for Twitter, I believe we're already in phase 3 where he builds and lights the dumpster, sees the flames, rants and blames others for them, then (because he's Elon) begins to slowly pivot and abandon his initial horrible ideas for slightly less bad ones. Not sure if it'll hold together long enough to get actual useful AI into moderation duty which is where he could add value - but you can't have AI without first having "I" which means a reference for what good moderation even means. He's still working on that one.

I'm fascinated with the disagreements my seemingly rational positions get into here.

I correctly predicted Elon would run amok with Twitter if he got control and he has. Free Speech Absolutism was an immediate failed doctorine that he himself quickly abandoned. He rants against the advertisers who fund the thing, then whines that they won't come back. He repeatedly demonstrates that he personally cannot follow Twitters own moderation guidelines by putting up Q-level conspiracy nonsense...

But for some reason, every bit of that has to be argued with despite it being right there in broad daylight.

And then, when I dare point out in balance that Elon is an excellent engineer with dozens of proven projects and innovations.... yeah, people have to argue about that stunningly obvious truth too. They can't tell you who, but they are certain someone else did it for Elon, despite the curious reality that highly motivated competitors with tons of bright people couldn't do it. Sure looks like he might be a key ingredient, but hey - folks wanna argue.

As for Twitter, I believe we're already in phase 3 where he builds and lights the dumpster, sees the flames, rants and blames others for them, then (because he's Elon) begins to slowly pivot and abandon his initial horrible ideas for slightly less bad ones. Not sure if it'll hold together long enough to get actual useful AI into moderation duty which is where he could add value - but you can't have AI without first having "I" which means a reference for what good moderation even means. He's still working on that one.
That’s prob about the most optimistic view I can subscribe to.
One issue in this forum is kind of a form of the partisanship that’s destroying the nation... and that is fanboys. If someone agrees 100 percent with, or finds a positive reason for every single thing musk does, they’re not thinking for themselves, and have no useful information to share here. Yet they keep on typing.

I'm not even sure what they will "Suck up". People keep blathering about how I (as a very left leaning independent) should be offended by Musk, but honestly I just don't see it. Maybe I'm not "Left" enough. But then how many people are on the far left anyhow?

If the only one Musk is really bothering is the far left, people should take a look at the way the vote is going in our country this year.

I don’t get it either. It feels as if I’m living in an alternate reality, where everyone is infected by some kind of mass hysteria, where everyone is trying to shout louder than the others about how bad, offensive, idiotic, moronic Elon’s behavior is. It’s fashionable. Throwing in a Q-Anon accusation is bon ton.

I see all his tweets and there’s one that was plain wrong (about the Pelosi conspiracy theory), but I really don’t see the problem with his other tweets. You may not agree with all of his opinions, but that’s because he often has another opinion than is mainstream at that moment. About corona, about Ukraine, about politics. But it’s his opinion and in many cases it wouldn’t surprise me if he is right in the end.

Yes, he is harsh against some Democrats and high profile tweeters, but they aren’t very nice to him either. He switched to the Republican side. So what? He is giving voting advice. So what? He is pissed at advertisers who he feels bow to outside pressure. So what?

Too many minds have been made up about Elon and his tweets are no longer viewed objectively but through negative confirmation bias.

I don’t get it either. It feels as if I’m living in some alternate reality, where everyone is infected by some kind of mass hysteria, where everyone is trying to shout louder than the others about how bad, offensive, idiotic, moronic Elon’s behavior is. It’s bon ton, fashionable.

I see all his tweets and there’s one that was plain wrong (about the Pelosi conspiracy theory), but I really don’t see the problem with his other tweets. You may not agree with all of his opinions, but that’s because he often has another opinion than is mainstream at that moment. About corona, about Ukraine, about politics. But it’s his opinion and in many cases it wouldn’t surprise me if he is right in the end.

Yes, he is harsh against some Democrats and high profile tweeters, but they aren’t very nice to him either. He switched to the Republican side. So what? He is giving voting advice. So what?

Too many minds have been made up about Elon and his tweets are no longer viewed objectively but through negative confirmation bias.
Any reasonable shareholder wants him to shut up and don’t find any of this reasonable at all. It’s not all about politics, it’s also about what makes sense for the company and its mission, and his -- supposed -- mission of blunting the effects of climate change. Instead we get internet stupidity by the bucket that does no useful good for anyone.

Any reasonable shareholder wants him to shut up and don’t find any of this reasonable at all.

YOU want him to shut up.

I really don't give a damn.

It's funny how when people who agree with their personal world view speak out in public people are all like "He's being socially conscientious". And when people disagree with their world view it's "That Mother F*er needs to stay in their lane".

You saw the same kind of nonsense when people were talking about BLM or COVID and mask policies too. Everyone thinks they have the right to dictate what opinions other people can/ should speak in public. (In case I'm not clear, I was for policies on requiring public masking and even most vaccination mandates)

Using your short-sighted world view:

AOC & Bernie need to stay in their lane when talking about car companies. They should focus on policy instead.

I see all his tweets and there’s one that was plain wrong (about the Pelosi conspiracy theory), but I really don’t see the problem with his other tweets.
Yet there are many people who see nothing wrong with his Pelosi tweet, (or any of his other tweets). They would claim you have negative confirmation bias for not agreeing with it. See how that works? The indisputable fact is that Elon is turning off more people than he ever has before and that is negatively affecting the Tesla brand. The anti EV anti climate change coal rolling crowd may agree with his tweets but they aren't going to start buying Teslas any time soon. You also might wonder if his tweets are fine why he deleted 4 of them just yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.