Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same way Pixar was able to create a place you didn't want to leave - great (free) bars on the campus, diners, etc. The idea wasn't about pampering, it's about keeping people on campus because the thing they are going to talk about more than anything else is the work they've got in common. It's about building an environment that encourages collaboration and idea sharing, which is something that has broken down during COVID.
First company I worked for, a startup, provided dinner for employees. Dinner arrived at 7 pm. I don't think that timing was an accident. If you wanted dinner, you'd work until at least 7 pm.

Exaggerate much? I'd put John D. Rockefeller and Steve Jobs above Elon. You may have a point if you restricted it to living people though.

No exaggeration, I was going strictly on valuation. Last I checked, inflation adjusted, Elon has destroyed Jobs on net worth, and I believe even surpassed Rockefeller (although with TSLA valuation dropping, that might have changed).

No exaggeration, I was going strictly on valuation. Last I checked, inflation adjusted, Elon has destroyed Jobs on net worth, and I believe even surpassed Rockefeller (although with TSLA valuation dropping, that might have changed).
Not even close. Rockefeller would be worth $400 billion in 2022 dollars, inflation adjusted. His net worth was 1/50th of the entire US GDP at the time. Today, that would be somewhere around $500 billion.

I have, the Ford Lightning is great and I was able to get one for a December delivery. Not huge range but it is just a great work truck. Drove great, very smooth. More power than we need but nice. I wanted a CT but I would be a 2025 delivery I think so I got the best truck I could. The big difference is I could get one. 24 battery factories open in next 4 years. The competition is coming and that means that Tesla was successful in original mission.
Thats great and how many Lightnings has Ford produced? Believe it is about 5000 units so far since April. Ford isnt ramping those very fast because they eat the sales of more profitable ICE F150s. I wouldnt be surprised if within 6 months of CT production start CT overtakes F150 in daily production and has sold more units in a year post delivery start date.

Thats great and how many Lightnings has Ford produced? Believe it is about 5000 units so far since April. Ford isnt ramping those very fast because they eat the sales of more profitable ICE F150s. I wouldnt be surprised if within 6 months of CT production start CT overtakes F150 in daily production and has sold more units in a year post delivery start date.

11,196 according to this article, with "production expanding" to 150k/year.

He still has HR staff and recruiters working for him at SpaceX and Tesla. And both of those companies are likely to be able to afford to pay employee salaries in three months. Twitter, by contrast, is facing a mass exodus of advertisers in an era when advertising dollars were already declining, and thus will likely just be paying a minimal staff of minimum-wage employees to wipe data off of machines and tag assets for Chapter 7 liquidation in three months.
Sounds completely legit. :D

Media loves to play up drama around Musk. People here lap it up like it’s nectar.

Have a great day.

As I said previously… I’m not predicting a whole lot from Twitter. But the stupid things people seem to take seriously around here crack me up.

Sure he did, you just don't know what you're talking about

<citationrequired>

There was a launch industry when he entered, just because it's full of government contractors does not make it a non-industry

I mean- it kinda does.

Because nearly all the development was by the government or with government funding.

So it wasn't a COMMERCIAL industry.

SpaceX largely INVENTED that.

And even then the few government contractors that occasionally launched a coms sat did so a handful of times a year at best- and for massively high price.

. I mean SpaceX is a government contractor too from the start, given DARPA bought the first two Falcon 1 launches, and the 3rd Falcon 1 was bought by DoD and NASA.

But the government did not fund the building or development of the actual rockets

They just bought the space on the first launches.

That was NOT true for the other companies you mention- where the ACTUAL PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT was government funded.

That's a fundamental difference you seem unable to recognize.

Boeing is a government contractor, Airbus is also a government contractor, doesn't mean we don't have a large commercial airliner industry.

Sure. But the 787 wasn't build with government funding- neither NASA nor DOD paid to develop the product--- so your analogy makes no actual sense here- even if those agencies later buy plane tickets

Whether the players in the market or industry is "private/civilian" or not is entirely irrelevant.

it's REALLY not.

It's the entire point- and why SpaceX is so far ahead of everyone else in this space.

Besides, Boeing and LM are private companies who provided launch services in early 2000s. In fact they invested significant amount of their own money into development of Atlas V and Delta IV (on the order of billions), no different from SpaceX investing their own money into developing Falcon 9.

Nope.

Atlas V and Delta IV were developed for the US Air Force as part of the EELV program with development funded by the government.

And like I said, DoD has been a customer for SpaceX from the very beginning, "civilian" it is not.

Again you fail to recognize the difference between government DEVELOPMENT and government as a CUSTOMER.

Not sure what you mean by "Also the first privately developed spacecraft to put a commercial satellite in orbit", this sentence makes no sense.

Which words, specifically, did you not understand?

SpaceX privately developed the Falcon 1. Things like Atlas V and Delta IV were not privately developed.

The only other orbital launch vehicles to be privately funded and developed were the Conestoga in 1982- which never put a commercial sat in orbit (it only few a few times the last one breaking up soon after launch); and Pegasus, first launched in 1990, which uses a large aircraft as its launch platform and initially did so with a B-52 bomber borrowed from NASA.

Falcon 1 is the first privately funded liquid-fueled rocket to reach orbit, but you had to add the "liquid-fueled" qualifier since Orbital Sciences' Pegasus is the first privately funded rocket (solid fueled) to reach orbit.

Again- if launched from an aircraft already at high altitude- and originally from one borrowed from NASA- and then later launching from used commercial aircraft.

So yeah, SpaceX's entrance to the launch market is not at all smooth or without failures

Nor did anyone say otherwise so this appears to be a strawman you're building.

The actual point was comparisons with SpaceX are nonsensical because that was Elon FOUNDING essentially an entire industry. There weren't dozens of other private commercial spaceflight companies already in the industry. There was one dropping rockets with high cost and low payload off aircraft and that was about it.

Here it's him buying a 15 year old company that isn't even in the top 10 of its own, super-crowded, industry.

All of which is aside from the point of the OTHER fundamental difference.

Telling a rocket scientist "Hey I want to develop these super advanced and awesome rockets and take humanity multiplanetary--- you wanna work 18 hours a day to make that dream happen?" has a decent chance of getting brilliant people to say YES.

Telling a San Francisco software developer "Hey, I want to let this microblogging website allow you to post longer cat videos--- you wanna work 18 hours a day IN OFFICE ONLY to make that dream happen?" has.... less of such a chance.

Like, a lot less.

Last edited:
I think people are not understanding what elon wants to do with twitter. Elon is an ex programmer. As a coder myself, I see why he is so frustrated with the ENGINEERING of twitter. Sure, he has views on moderation and censorship etc, but the actual engineering of twitter has been a joke. 3,000 staff and between them, over a period of years, they could not crack the technology of letting people do long-form tweets, resulting in people (even twitter staff ffs...) typing out 30-tweet long threads.

This is just shoddy, pathetically bad engineering*

Twitter has laughably poor video support, fundamentally unimaginative monetization, and a complete lack of innovation. Its very telling that elon has been arguing primarily with engineers and coders about how to change twitter. This is the most obviously broken thing.

I suspect once the software-engineering side of twitter has a hardcore group of actually competent software engineers, and a pace of innovation, he will immediately appoint a social-media-focused CEO and leave the company alone.

*I've been a programmer for 40 years, I'm not some armchair general guessing here.
He could correct all the issues you describe, but it wouldn't make Twitter into a viable business. Maybe he can reduce headcount and cost, but i don't think that would be enough.

Reactions: thx1139
11,196 according to this article, with "production expanding" to 150k/year.

OK found they sold 2400 in October. Of course expanding to 150K per year doesnt mean 150K over the next 12 months. I still suspect Tesla will ramp faster.

As well as not impacting the world as much as Elon. Rockets and EV's are more important than all of Apple's products, and we have yet to see what AI and Optimus will be.
Disagree. Smartphones have had an absolutely unprecedented effect on society. They have democratized computing. Nearly every aspect of society is affected by them. Just a trivial example. Look at how much of Ukraine’s combat effectiveness is enabled by smart phones.

While Apple didn’t “Invent” the smartphone. Musk didn’t “Invent“ rockets either. What both companies did do is make them more useful in a fundamental way which rapidly increased adoption.

While Apple didn’t “Invent” the smartphone. Musk didn’t “Invent“ rockets either. What both companies did do is make them more useful in a fundamental way which rapidly increased adoption.
The difference is no other companies have risen to take the lead away from SpaceX or Tesla where as that happened quickly with the iPhone. I'd say Android was far more influential in world wide adoption of the smartphone.

1668793975046.png

Willingness to work through adversity is a good trait. Willingness to put up with a toxic work environment is not.

Yeah - I don't think: "My hardest challenge was when my company was taken over by horrible people who fired my departments entire competent staff and demanded I swear loyalty oaths and work 80 hours a week regardless of my output - my response to it was a sat there are just took it" Reads well on a resume :)

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz
Status
Not open for further replies.