Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubted it, too, so I do what I normally do. Google!

Turns out it's kind of true. A psychic DID sue an MRI clinic because of inability to continue to work. But it wasn't because the psychic claimed the MRI ruined psychic powers. She appears to have had an allergic reaction to the dye that was injected prior to the imaging, which left her with months of headaches after. Nothing to do with magnets.

But of course, urban folklore likes the other version better. :) It's like a game of telephone where every time it's retold, it strays a little further from the truth.

Says Her Powers Vanished : 'Psychic' Awarded $988,000 in Hospital CAT-Scan Lawsuit - latimes

Since this thread is far off topic already I'll indulge further (to be honest the whole topic in itself is inherently off topic): it was no MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) but a CAT scan (Computer Aided Tomography). A CT uses x-rays, not strong magnetic fields. For x-ray and CT you use constrast agents with iodine (which can cause severe allergic reactions). With MRIs you typically use contrast agents where Gandolinium (yes there is such a thing in the periodic table) acts as the constrast (it too can cause allergic reactions but not as common as iodine).

Since this thread is far off topic already I'll indulge further (to be honest the whole topic in itself is inherently off topic): it was no MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) but a CAT scan (Computer Aided Tomography). A CT uses x-rays, not strong magnetic fields. For x-ray and CT you use constrast agents with iodine (which can cause severe allergic reactions). With MRIs you typically use contrast agents where Gandolinium (yes there is such a thing in the periodic table) acts as the constrast (it too can cause allergic reactions but not as common as iodine).

You're exactly right. Thanks!

Well, I can see this thread going nowhere fast. I'd better stay away from MRIs...or CATs...or I may lose the ability to thus prognosticate.

- - - Updated - - -

You're exactly right. Thanks!

Weelllll....not exactly right. It's Gadolinium, not Gandolinium.:tongue:

in English, anyway. Perhaps in Norway?

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 8.03.08 AM.png

I highly doubt the sick feeling they had was from EMF in the Model S, however they very well may have felt nauseous after driving a P85D.

The acceleration is much higher than most people are used to. It gives some people headaches, and some even almost feel like they may blackout.

The P85D is not for everyone. They should again, but avoid rapid acceleration.

I just got off a long trip in my Model S, the whole family in the car, wife and two children. After the trip we had absolutely no noticeable effect from this car.

In fact after we arrived, we test drove a Model S and thought it would be a great car if we ever had children. If I ever get married I'm going to take one on a long trip. Also,

I highly doubt the sick feeling they had was from EMF in the Model S, however they very well may have felt nauseous after driving a P85D.

The acceleration is much higher than most people are used to. It gives some people headaches, and some even almost feel like they may blackout.

The P85D is not for everyone. They should again, but avoid rapid acceleration.

I remember I used to feel a little woozy sometimes with how the power came on and such. Got used to it over time and now notice nothing. (I suppose they could've also tweaked the power curve, or I subtly changed my driving habits)

Here's another fun one, Rogue Microwave Ovens! I loved this one.

Rogue Microwave Ovens Are the Culprits Behind Mysterious Radio Signals Phenomena: No Place Like Home

Here's an engineering question that this thread got me thinking about. As we drive there is a current from the battery feeding the motor. As we accelerate (and I guess decelerate) the current increases and changes.

My physics is rusty, but that current should be creating a magnetic field which should change with the current. Is there a way to harness that magnetic field? Or possibly use it to actuate a transmission, since I read in other posts that due to the high torque from the motor that normal transmissions just blow out. Maybe the magnetic field could be used to tell the transmission to change gears? Lower current, lower field strength: "cruise" mode; higher current, higher strength: "accelerate" mode... Or only make it applicable at higher speeds to improve efficiency?

Here's another fun one, Rogue Microwave Ovens! I loved this one.

Rogue Microwave Ovens Are the Culprits Behind Mysterious Radio Signals Phenomena: No Place Like Home

Here's an engineering question that this thread got me thinking about. As we drive there is a current from the battery feeding the motor. As we accelerate (and I guess decelerate) the current increases and changes.

My physics is rusty, but that current should be creating a magnetic field which should change with the current. Is there a way to harness that magnetic field? Or possibly use it to actuate a transmission, since I read in other posts that due to the high torque from the motor that normal transmissions just blow out. Maybe the magnetic field could be used to tell the transmission to change gears? Lower current, lower field strength: "cruise" mode; higher current, higher strength: "accelerate" mode... Or only make it applicable at higher speeds to improve efficiency?
Your physics is indeed rusty, especially that first law of thermodynamics! Basically, there is no free lunch. Yes, there is a magnetic field created at right angles to the flow of current in a conductor. The field is rather weak, so in devices like motors where you want a strong field you coil the wire to concentrate the magnetic flux. If you make a coil then you are adding resistance and if work is done then that "costs" energy. If you had a multi speed transmission you definitely wouldn't want it shifting according to load. It would be easy to have a computer do it, but direct drive with no shifting is far better from a reliability standpoint. In fact, Tesla originally tried to have a 2 speed in the roadster but it couldn't handle the power levels and kept self-destructing.

Your physics is indeed rusty, especially that first law of thermodynamics! Basically, there is no free lunch. Yes, there is a magnetic field created at right angles to the flow of current in a conductor. The field is rather weak, so in devices like motors where you want a strong field you coil the wire to concentrate the magnetic flux. If you make a coil then you are adding resistance and if work is done then that "costs" energy. If you had a multi speed transmission you definitely wouldn't want it shifting according to load. It would be easy to have a computer do it, but direct drive with no shifting is far better from a reliability standpoint. In fact, Tesla originally tried to have a 2 speed in the roadster but it couldn't handle the power levels and kept self-destructing.

Thanks! Glad I asked!

To pull the psychic story somewhat on topic, the radiation from a CT scan is something that might be worth thinking twice about. Radiation from an MRI or the Model S, not so much. You might also consider your exposure to cosmic and solar radiation, particularly when at high altitude.

Some solar and especially cosmic radiation most definitely is/can be ionizing radiation, and of course X-rays are, and that is what you want to avoid having hit your DNA. How much CT radiation is ionizing?

Some solar and especially cosmic radiation most definitely is/can be ionizing radiation, and of course X-rays are, and that is what you want to avoid having hit your DNA. How much CT radiation is ionizing?
CT scans are very similar to x-rays, but much higher dosage. There's a reason the tech leaves the room to run the machine, and anyone staying wears a lot of lead.

To pull the psychic story somewhat on topic, the radiation from a CT scan is something that might be worth thinking twice about. Radiation from an MRI or the Model S, not so much. You might also consider your exposure to cosmic and solar radiation, particularly when at high altitude.

Yeah, ionizing radiation is certainly worth your attention. That said, even then it can be a clear trade-off. When my 5 year old daughter (at the time) had severe abdominal pain and was in the ER, an ultrasound didn't show anything - so I had to decide whether or not I wanted an abdominal CT scan. Not a lot of options at that point, so after probably too much 3am consideration, I approved it and we found that her appendix had indeed ruptured.