Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC recall reimbursement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All this talk about registering and applying... How?
I have received zero communication about any process other than we'll contact you before March 31! Sc is saying to wait....

Hello All

I am one of the unlucky ones who paid full price for the MCU2 upgrade just before the warranty announcement and before the $1000 price drop to $1500. I received a refund of $320 which seems to be the amount most people received. I am curious if anyone actually paid $320 for the eMMC repair. If you did pay $320, when was it? My thinking is the $320 price was what the repair cost right before the warranty announcement or is $320 some random number?

Hello All

I am one of the unlucky ones who paid full price for the MCU2 upgrade just before the warranty announcement and before the $1000 price drop to $1500. I received a refund of $320 which seems to be the amount most people received. I am curious if anyone actually paid $320 for the eMMC repair. If you did pay $320, when was it? My thinking is the $320 price was what the repair cost right before the warranty announcement or is $320 some random number?
Me too, paid $2,500 for MCU2 upgrade before the repair was available. I did the $320 repair for another car when it became available (it did cost $320, which was available before the $1000 MCU2 price drop). I Received $640 for both cars.

Reactions: MGM-S75
I had the eMMC replaced in november 2019 on a Tesla Model S 2014. When I clicked on the link in the mail it just said that I was ineligible for refund and there were no documents nor invoice mentioned allthough I have an invoice. So I selected repair by service not done by Tesla and I was able to upload my invoice and got an automated mail back. Today I receive a mail in which it stated that in november 2019 the chip was replaced with a 8 Gb chip due to not avalability of a 64 Gb. Therefore there was still an open service order to upgrade to 64 Gb under warranty. Therfore no refund was possible of the 2019 invoice. 1/ This was not mentioned on the invoice and 2/ I was never told that I had still to replace with a 64 Gb chip and3/ in the meantime I sold the car to a guy from France, so I do not feel concerned. I phoned with service in Belgium where they confirmed that no refund was possible. I insisted and now they will discuss it wth the management when I told them that it was outrageous to make someone pay for repair( +/- 2000$) claiming in 2019 that it was not covered by warranty and to refuse refund because they were not able tto replace with the right 64 Gb chip now that they have to treat it under warranty. I will keep you posted of the outcome

I had the eMMC replaced in november 2019 on a Tesla Model S 2014. When I clicked on the link in the mail it just said that I was ineligible for refund and there were no documents nor invoice mentioned allthough I have an invoice. So I selected repair by service not done by Tesla and I was able to upload my invoice and got an automated mail back. Today I receive a mail in which it stated that in november 2019 the chip was replaced with a 8 Gb chip due to not avalability of a 64 Gb. Therefore there was still an open service order to upgrade to 64 Gb under warranty. Therfore no refund was possible of the 2019 invoice. 1/ This was not mentioned on the invoice and 2/ I was never told that I had still to replace with a 64 Gb chip and3/ in the meantime I sold the car to a guy from France, so I do not feel concerned. I phoned with service in Belgium where they confirmed that no refund was possible. I insisted and now they will discuss it wth the management when I told them that it was outrageous to make someone pay for repair( +/- 2000$) claiming in 2019 that it was not covered by warranty and to refuse refund because they were not able tto replace with the right 64 Gb chip now that they have to treat it under warranty. I will keep you posted of the outcome
Interesting. So anyone who replaced their EMMC via 3rd party with something smaller than 64GB might get declined because the repair was not to 64GB capacity, and worse, Tesla software might start assuming 64GB capacity is always there so updates will start breaking systems with less storage, but Tesla recall to 64GB will not apply because you don't have the original 8GB in place. I'm thinking no more accepting updates for my MCU1, as things can only get worse.

Interesting. So anyone who replaced their EMMC via 3rd party with something smaller than 64GB might get declined because the repair was not to 64GB capacity, and worse, Tesla software might start assuming 64GB capacity is always there so updates will start breaking systems with less storage, but Tesla recall to 64GB will not apply because you don't have the original 8GB in place. I'm thinking no more accepting updates for my MCU1, as things can only get worse.

I'm pretty sure that @verygreen recently confirmed on Twitter that the MCU1 is basically security releases only now anyway. Not sure how he would have any insight into that, but perhaps he saw some type of indication above and beyond their track record over the past year.

I'm also in the "nothing from Tesla"group. Used their support chat function and found an option the gave me a real person. After giving details he said he would research and personally get back to me "within 3 days". That was 5 days ago - I'm not holding my breath.
No call back - BUT I did since get my "you've been approved" email and the check came a few days later. The above approach might work for others, especially if you are in the "no email from Tesla" group like I was.

Maybe I just got lucky and landed on a phone rep actually being helpful. I am quite surprised.

I'm pretty sure that @verygreen recently confirmed on Twitter that the MCU1 is basically security releases only now anyway. Not sure how he would have any insight into that, but perhaps he saw some type of indication above and beyond their track record over the past year.
Well, my last one 2020.48.37.1 (but came in 2021 to my car) changed the instrument cluster layout, so they still tweak stuff, unless the theory is that the pervious layout was insecure (perhaps the older speedo was too easy to read through the windows, so they made it harder to read by choosing a harder to thinner/smaller font :rolleyes:).

Well, my last one 2020.48.37.1 (but came in 2021 to my car) changed the instrument cluster layout, so they still tweak stuff, unless the theory is that the pervious layout was insecure (perhaps the older speedo was too easy to read through the windows, so they made it harder to read by choosing a harder to thinner/smaller font :rolleyes:).

The crazy part is that build is over 6 months old now.

No refund here. My MCU1 failed with all the eMMC symptoms, and needed to tow my car to the SC. I decided to do the MCU2 upgrade for $2500 instead of repair.

Tesla investigated themselves, decided they're not at fault:) then stop answering emails:
"Our diagnostics do not indicate any malfunctions or accumulated wear with the eMMc prior to the Infotainment upgrade request. "

Filed a complaint with BBB, see if that solves anything.

So typical of Tesla. They had it 100% of all MS-MX eMMCU will fail, yet stall at every turn. So typical.
Every penny counts! Every customer they deny the claim is so many pennies Tesla gets to keep! As long as the masses buy into Elon's hype, there is no need for customer retention. I talked to a person recently who is planning to buy their first Tesla. I mentioned my experience (they asked), they thought about it, then said, "yea, that is sucky, but your Teslas are old, Elon said the old ones had some problems but they fixed them all, so my new Tesla will never need service". I guess ignorance is bliss, until it isn't....

Reactions: Horia and TessP100D
Update - after I filled the BBB complaint last Friday, Tesla actually replied on Monday and mentioned that after "further review" I actually qualify for $320 refund. Maybe it's just a coincidence :)
They also told me not to bother them any further:

"
Thank you for contacting Tesla regarding the 8GB eMMc recall reimbursement review of your VIN ending in Pxxxxx. We appreciate the additional context provided in your email, and upon further review with this additional information, we were able to find VIN Pxxxx is indeed eligible for reimbursement in the amount of $320.00 due to eMMc related errors. We will be forwarding this ticket to be processed, and you will receive final confirmation of reimbursement being sent within the mandated 60 day time frame.

Further replies to the thread may not be monitored.
"

One for the good guys, I guess.

On March 5, 2021 Tesla notified me of the "Recall Reimbursement" and I promptly submitted the receipt for the repair. On April 1, 2021 Tesla said "your request is ineligible for reimbursement because repair was not for condition described in Recall". To which we promptly replied detailing how it was exactly for the condition described. Why else would we pay Kin Tung Tam (aka TonyT) $515 to replace that memory chip?

Following Horia's lead above I filed a BBB complaint. We sold our Model S today and were going to replace it with a Y but this has us looking at other options. Tesla's penny pinching behavior is extremely short sighted.

Got my check today, full remittance for @ $2732.27. Thanks Tesla for doing the right thing.
Whoa, how did you get so much! I'm located in Ontario Canada and just got my refund cheque for $1460 CAD; however, there was no letter or email explaining the amount. My MCU1 failed in July 2020 and I elected to upgrade to MCU2 at the time, rather than paying a signficant amount to repair the MCU1 that was bound to fail again anyways. Back in July, these were the prices I was quoted when making my decision:

MCU1 Repair:
  • $1349 CAD -- Parts
  • $280 CAD -- Labour
  • $212 CAD -- Taxes
  • $1841 CAD -- TOTAL

MCU2 Upgrade:
  • $3309 CAD -- Parts
  • $201 CAD -- Labour
  • $456 CAD -- Taxes
  • $3966 -- TOTAL
Does someone know the formula used to determine the refund that you'll receive? While the $1460 CAD refund isn't terrible, I was expecting the cost of the MCU1 repair (i.e. $1841 CAD).

Thanks!

Reactions: CFinVancouver
As a follow-up to my immediately-prior post, based on Tesla's description on their website FAQ, I thought I would have received $1841 CAD (i.e. the price I was quoted for the MCU1 repair in July 2020):

TESLA.png

Thanks!

Reactions: reddy