Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Engadget claims Bolt cheaper than Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess what I was saying is that there is no way for the bolt owner to travel on a long trip. So even if it gets 230 miles you will not be able to travel like you can with the Tesla, not sure you can put a price on that.
True in some parts of the country, today. However, most EV drivers live in areas along the west and east coats where CCS charging is already fairly widely available. I could easily drive 500-600 miles from San Francisco to San Diego today, for example.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
Cheaper? It should be -- if Tesla can make an upscale electric sedan for $35,000 USD, Chevy should be able to make a much less upscale EV for less! No Superchargers, either. :rolleyes:
I think that is Elon Musk's plan. If Tesla Motors can offer a $35,000 fully electric long range car at potentially 500,000 units per year worldwide... Then a company such as General Motors, Ford, or Toyota should be able to match that volume at $25,000 per unit. Seeing GM commit to only 1/10th as many vehicles at most with the BOLT is rather disappointing -- especially at a HIGHER price point. Worse is that the other major automobile manufacturers: Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Chrysler/Dodge -- are all opting to do NOTHING in the realm of long range fully electric cars. It didn't take any of them this long to take up other trends in transportation -- like minivans, SUVs, or compact Crossovers for instance.

Engadget is a joke with regards to this "area of expertise"... This is the same publication that continued to erroneously tweet that Tesla had disabled key safety features on the Model X when that wasn't the case at all. At some point last year they flipped from being supportive of Tesla to slanderously critical. While I'm not exactly sure "why", I think it's safe to assume it was due to "someone" buying advertising or what have you, in exchange for a change in the way they view Tesla...

Jeff

Most news operations take pains to separate content from sales (advertising). I suspect the reason for the change was more pedestrian: (some of) the writers, who may have been Tesla fans, have moved on to better gigs or other occupations (journalist turnover is pretty high in these internet publishing times), and the replacements are not Tesla fans for whatever reason.

I guess what I was saying is that there is no way for the bolt owner to travel on a long trip. So even if it gets 230 miles you will not be able to travel like you can with the Tesla, not sure you can put a price on that.

This made me think, does anyone know how long it will take to charge the Bolt? If you use all of that range, how long are you going to have to sit around to charge it back up?

True in some parts of the country, today. However, most EV drivers live in areas along the west and east coats where CCS charging is already fairly widely available. I could easily drive 500-600 miles from San Francisco to San Diego today, for example.
Yeah! Screw those people live in the middle of the continent! People like me don't count for anything! We don't deserve EVs and access to fast charging networks!
sarcasm.gif

Yeah! Screw those people live in the middle of the continent! People like me don't count for anything! We don't deserve EVs and access to fast charging networks!
sarcasm.gif
Well, that's true for lots of things. I remember it took many years for ATM machines to show up uniformly across the country. Tesla Superchargers did not instantaneously appear nationwide. The good news is that VW is mandated to spend lots of money soon on infrastructure including CCS so it will be rolling out nationally -- just getting a later start than Tesla but it's just now that we are getting the first CCS vehicle that has a long-range capable battery pack.

Reactions: Red Sage
I hope the Bolt is less expensive than the Model 3 and I hope that all other car makers make electric vehicles cheaper than the Model 3. That's what we want. There's no competition with other EV's and Tesla. The more in the market and the less expensive, the better. That's should be our goal here, since it's been Tesla's goal from the outset, and the reason they made their patents free for use in good faith.

Reactions: Red Sage
Well, that's true for lots of things. I remember it took many years for ATM machines to show up uniformly across the country. Tesla Superchargers did not instantaneously appear nationwide. The good news is that VW is mandated to spend lots of money soon on infrastructure including CCS so it will be rolling out nationally -- just getting a later start than Tesla but it's just now that we are getting the first CCS vehicle that has a long-range capable battery pack.
True, but based on what I have read about the roll out so far, they are Partnering with ChargePoint (not bad). They have built some 24kW and 50kW units (meh). An average of 50 miles apart from each other. Someone was saying (somewhere I forget if it were here or another site) that they looked it up and few of the locations have a backup form of charging, or have limited number of stalls. Though if they are only 50 miles apart maybe you won't have as much charge anxiety. The biggest kick in the teeth as far as I am concerned is the building of any 24kW units, that isn't that much better than 80A AC charging (not that anyone other than Tesla supports high powered AC charging).

Seeing GM commit to only 1/10th as many vehicles at most with the BOLT is rather disappointing -- especially at a HIGHER price point. Worse is that the other major automobile manufacturers: Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Chrysler/Dodge -- are all opting to do NOTHING in the realm of long range fully electric cars.
Actually, I'm surprised to see GM putting this much effort into electric vehicles. GM isn't going to take many chances - they'll wait and see if the market as a whole makes a switch to electrics before putting a whole lot more effort into it.

As for the number of Bolts they plan to make, I'd say they chose the correct number. Every other popular EV (Tesla Model S, Tesla Model X, Nissan Leaf, even Chevy Volt) has sold in very similar numbers. And they don't want to make too many, like they originally did with the Volt. I think they have a good, conservative plan.

Now, that's not what *we* want. We want a company to push the envelope, and usher in the era of electric cars. Luckily for us, we have Tesla, and they're going to do just that. GM has positioned themselves pretty well to be a "fast follower" once the market shifts towards EVs. I'm more worried about the fate of other manufacturers who aren't really doing anything with EVs.

Good point garsh. GM is not in the market to lose money but having said that I wish they were more serious about EV's.
If they really tried i'm sure they could come up with something like an EV GMC Acadia or similar. That would sell! But trip re-charges must be addressed

And The DC fast charger slows down after that, only giving 160 miles after an hour.

The Bolt would be a good grocery getter....if it was cheaper. It would be good as your day to day car if you had an ICE or rented for longer trips. It's too close in price to the Three though. It's only advantage right now is that it would be available sooner and you could get the full tax credit.