Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced safety while changing lanes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Model 3, standard neck-twist visibility is limited due to thick posts and high back. Same with rearview mirror use. My 2014 Honda had a right-turn-signal camera for the blind spot. Most cars today have either that or blind-spot warning in the rearview mirrors. My new Tesla Model 3 has none of that technology. Rather surprising, and also dangerous - potentially deadly.

Had my Model 3 about three weeks now and 80% of my lane changes have been done automatically through AP/FSD. Model 3 doesn’t seem to have a problem seeing what’s around it, and if I need to take over, the center console gives me an idea of my surroundings if I’m ever unsure.

In the Model 3, standard neck-twist visibility is limited due to thick posts and high back. Same with rearview mirror use. My 2014 Honda had a right-turn-signal camera for the blind spot. Most cars today have either that or blind-spot warning in the rearview mirrors. My new Tesla Model 3 has none of that technology. Rather surprising, and also dangerous - potentially deadly.
How know the lane marker turns red if there is a car next to you when you put your turn signals on, right? I like this much better than cars that turn on an annoying light anytime a car is next to you. I only care if I am thinking about changing lanes.

1) Lane marker and car turn red in your display when you put your signal on and it's not safe to change lanes
2) If you don't look, ignore the stuff in (1), and try to change anyway, the car will loudly beep at you.

Reactions: jrh007 and ammulder
So, the blind spot detection was enabled in a recent release. It really doesn't work as other cars does, but it supposedly will tell you if you need to abort. You do also get indications in the display as well. It's there, just different.

But as others have mentioned, changing lanes is so passé. Just let the car do it!

Yes, blind spot detection works better than any other car out there. A couple of weeks ago the car suddenly beeped and started steering me back out of a lane change I started. I had no idea a car was there and thought the car may have overreacted. When I went back and looked at the side repeater video, an aggressive driver quickly swerved into the lane I was about to enter and was coming up fast in the other lane. The car gave a warning and aborted the lane change based on figuring out that the car was about to enter the blind spot even though it was not yet where other cars BSD systems would have detected it.

How know the lane marker turns red if there is a car next to you when you put your turn signals on, right? I like this much better than cars that turn on an annoying light anytime a car is next to you. I only care if I am thinking about changing lanes.

Changing lanes in the Model 3 without autopilot depends on the use of mirrors, but the mirrors, like any car before 2010 or so, are very limited in their field of view. And as the owner's manual says, "It is the driver's responsibility to determine if a lane change is safe or not." Camera verification upon hitting a turn signal (especially to the right) would be incredibly helpful.

Reactions: Runebane
Changing lanes in the Model 3 without autopilot depends on the use of mirrors, but the mirrors, like any car before 2010 or so, are very limited in their field of view. And as the owner's manual says, "It is the driver's responsibility to determine if a lane change is safe or not." Camera verification upon hitting a turn signal (especially to the right) would be incredibly helpful.

..what?

Blind spot detection does not require autopilot, and it uses camera (and ultrasonic) verification when you hit the turn signal, and indicates if you're clear or not on the display.

Reactions: electrictorque
I find the image on the screen very accurate at monitoring blind spot specially when using the turn signal the line turns red.

Reactions: jrad6515
Had a similar experience to drj3--a car driven insanely fast, was weaving between cars anywhere he could find an opening on a crowded four-lane highway. I had initiated a lane change just as the driver going at high speed suddenly pulled into the lane. EAP quickly, seemed to me instantly, aborted the lane change. I would never have seen the car, given the driver's speed and slicing and dicing maneuvers across lanes no matter what mirrors I had or if I had been looking because I did and did not see anyone when I initiated the lane change. Felt EAP's sixth sense saved me-- worth every penny and more!

Reactions: electrictorque
Others have posted some good suggestions and comments. I'll add these:
  • This mirror adjustment method can help you detect cars, since it reduces the size of blind spots. Unfortunately, the Tesla Model 3's left outside mirror doesn't swing out far enough for this method, at least not for me. (Some people claim it does for them. Maybe they aren't quite using the same method, or maybe their height or driving position makes it work for them but not for me.) Maybe you could disassemble the Tesla mirror assembly and adjust it to make this method work better, but I didn't want to try to monkey with that on my car.
  • Various wide-angle mirrors are common. One you can get at just about any auto-parts store is a stick-on wide-angle mirror. The Tesla mirrors are small enough that I didn't want to go this route, though, so I instead bought this interior wide-angle side mirror on eBay. (Note: Delivery was from South Korea, but remarkably quick.) No doubt there are other models of this general class, and you may even find one locally. I've had my Tesla for such a short period that I'm still getting used to it, but it does seem effective.

surprising, and also dangerous - potentially deadly
Maybe if your first reaction is to go straight to dangerous/deadly, you may have bought the wrong car.
Alternatively, using a simple search of the manual, page 84 should give you the information you need.

Just to point out, honda etc all have the same warnings with those stupid mirror lights etc - its still YOUR responsibility to verify. These are driver assistance features not driver replacement.

..what?

Blind spot detection does not require autopilot, and it uses camera (and ultrasonic) verification when you hit the turn signal, and indicates if you're clear or not on the display.

If you're talking about the aerial view of your car and immediate traffic, this is sometimes wrong in that it's slow in acquiring a fast-approaching car, for example. A visual would be more reliable. And far safer.

Maybe if your first reaction is to go straight to dangerous/deadly, you may have bought the wrong car.
Alternatively, using a simple search of the manual, page 84 should give you the information you need.

Just to point out, honda etc all have the same warnings with those stupid mirror lights etc - its still YOUR responsibility to verify. These are driver assistance features not driver replacement.

On page 84 of the owner's manual, two warnings are notable: "Do not rely on steering interventions to avoid side collisions," and "Several factors can affect the performance of lane warnings, resulting in lack of or false warnings."

Actually, my old 2014 Accord, upon hitting the right-turn signal, puts up a large rearward view of the right lane. Old technology, but more direct & reliable than the 2019 Model 3.