Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon coming (Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran into a fellow M3 driver this past weekend at a local brewery. He and his wife/girlfriend (not sure which) were trying to use Enhanced Summon to get their car and it failed on them. Admittedly this particular parking lot was a little tight but I think it still should've been able to easily get out of the space and navigate the 10-15 feet to where they were standing but the car just stopped about 3/4 of the way out of the parking spot.

He did say that they used it the prior day in another parking lot and it worked very well and significantly better than the prior version.

I think they aren't anywhere close to where Elon wants them to be on this feature and frankly... I'm not sure they'll ever get there. I'd bet some decent money that this will forever be nothing more than a party trick and it will only be useful in very unique/specific situations that won't apply to most drivers.

I'm a huge fan of Tesla and everything that they have going on but I'm also a realist.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I ran into a fellow M3 driver this past weekend at a local brewery. He and his wife/girlfriend (not sure which) were trying to use Enhanced Summon to get their car and it failed on them. Admittedly this particular parking lot was a little tight but I think it still should've been able to easily get out of the space and navigate the 10-15 feet to where they were standing but the car just stopped about 3/4 of the way out of the parking spot.

He did say that they used it the prior day in another parking lot and it worked very well and significantly better than the prior version.

I think they aren't anywhere close to where Elon wants them to be on this feature and frankly... I'm not sure they'll ever get there. I'd bet some decent money that this will forever be nothing more than a party trick and it will only be useful in very unique/specific situations that won't apply to most drivers.

I'm a huge fan of Tesla and everything that they have going on but I'm also a realist.
He was probably with his girlfriend and his wife was across the lot cancelling the summon. :eek:

I used to hear the same comment about electric cars. Just replace "party trick" with "toys for adults" or "slight more advanced golf carts". For some reason not anymore.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I used to hear the same comment about electric cars. Just replace "party trick" with "toys for adults" or "slight more advanced golf carts". For some reason not anymore.
I hear you. Trust me - I'm very bullish on electric anything. It will eventually become mainstream.

But we are talking about a something much narrower in scale here. Think about autopark. That's been available on ICE cars for years! I've had it in most of my cars prior to owning the M3. That's STILL mostly a party trick. 9.5 times out of 10 it's faster for me to park myself - especially given the excellent rear and 360 cameras that we have today in many cars. Without the other advances in technology maybe autopark would be more useful but... it's just not.

Enhanced Summon will be the same - at BEST. It may never even get to the point of being reliable enough to even get it on par with autopark (which is a pretty low bar).

Think of it like the Snuggy. Originally designed for people in wheelchairs. Mass marketing it allowed them to make a profit and offer it at a much more mainstream price. Advanced summon is HUGE for people with mobility problems. as even in wheelchair/handicap spots cars often park far to close to allow people in wheelchairs to get in or out of their vehicles. Basic summon is already amazing for them but not having to sit in a parking lot blocking the whole lane would be next level.

Think of it like the Snuggy. Originally designed for people in wheelchairs. Mass marketing it allowed them to make a profit and offer it at a much more mainstream price. Advanced summon is HUGE for people with mobility problems. as even in wheelchair/handicap spots cars often park far to close to allow people in wheelchairs to get in or out of their vehicles. Basic summon is already amazing for them but not having to sit in a parking lot blocking the whole lane would be next level.
I agree that there will be certain applications that it will be extremely useful for. But, unlike the snuggy, there will be limited appeal to Enhanced Summon for everyone else. It's just simply faster/easier to walk to the car yourself and unless that changes then folks won't use it. JUST LIKE autopark features that exist today on loads of other vehicles.

I agree that there will be certain applications that it will be extremely useful for. But, unlike the snuggy, there will be limited appeal to Enhanced Summon for everyone else. It's just simply faster/easier to walk to the car yourself and unless that changes then folks won't use it. JUST LIKE auto park features that exist today on loads of other vehicles.

Yeah, I totally agree, but that's the beauty of parlour tricks like the Snuggy. If they sell a couple of extra FSD packages/cars because of it.. it justifies the development cost. Plus It is something they must solve to get true FSD anyway.

Reactions: turnem
I believe when the software is tuned correctly, a good use of it is simply as you are finishing a meal/exiting the mall / checking out at the cashier, you will be able to press a button and summon it. By the time you exit, your car would be there at the front waiting for you, like a robo-personal driver.

If it could one day do that, then it would be more than a parlour trick! Go tesla team go!

I believe when the software is tuned correctly, a good use of it is simply as you are finishing a meal/exiting the mall / checking out at the cashier, you will be able to press a button and summon it. By the time you exit, your car would be there at the front waiting for you, like a robo-personal driver.

If it could one day do that, then it would be more than a parlour trick! Go tesla team go!
That's an autonomous vehicle :D

I agree with this. But that's not anything close to what this will be - at least not in the next few years.

I almost wonder if they've reached the HW2.5 limits- but are stuck with having promised the feature to EAP (2.5 only) owners so they're trying to spit out a non-crap version at least, with "extra enhanced" summon or something that actually works well being a thing only FSD/HW3 will get.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve