Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon coming (Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...so does the summon park in the garage without having to exactly line up?
Yes, I have parked my car in the garage using summon. Sometimes it is just easier to get out and use summon since the space can be tight depending on how the other car is parked. You can see summon turning to center the car. However, you do need to start with it roughly lined up so it can tell where to go. Lined up - yes. Exactly lined up - no.

Well, these features are new. They’re in their early stages, and without visionaries and pioneers like Musk pushing these things forward, you wouldn’t even have a computer to type on right now.
We would never have FSD in the years to come without these features starting somewhere.
True but when computers first came out they were at least useful. Tell me what use this option has in its current form, besides making videos that is. Personally I’m not sold on FSD, I like to drive and don’t fully trust the car to drive for me. Nor do I trust those people who trust the technology too much (see idiots in the back seat of their car while it “self drives” down the freeway. Maybe if our highway infrastructure allowed for a separate lane for FSD.....but we can even maintain the roads we currently have. My opinion is if you want FSD, buy a bus pass, taxi, uber, lyft, ride share or any of the other systems already in place that don’t unleash 4000lbs of metal hurling down the road at freeway speed by itself.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte
It's all part of AI, the slow summon will allow Tesla to collect more data to continue to train the AI. Just like EAP keeps improving, summon will also improve.
Yeah but mall parking lots are already infuriating enough without having to wait behind a car driving itself at 2 mph that seems to randomly stop for nothing. I just don’t support field testing for this type of tech. People could get hurt and it’s like everyone is “oh well, we are trying to make the tech better, hopefully the next update will fix the random run pedestrians over glitch”. I get the convenience of it works, but come on I want to be walking around a vehicle test track. That’s not my job.

Because it would take 10 times longer to do it that way.
And when has quicker ever equated to safer. I don’t like the idea of a company testing out self driving tech with my safety in the balance. Hey I know. Let’s invent this thing called an airbag, we will need data on how it works to make it better so let’s go ahead and throw it in production cars. When it kills people we can use that data to make it better. I know I’m being sarcastic and dramatic with my examples, but I really do feel that this kind of tech should be closed course until it is ready....and it’s self evident that it’s not. I love Tesla and will have my Model 3 on order in a few months but this is where I disagree with the company philosophy.

Last edited:
Yeah but mall parking lots are already infuriating enough without having to wait behind a car driving itself at 2 mph that seems to randomly stop for nothing. I just don’t support field testing for this type of tech. People could get hurt and it’s like everyone is “oh well, we are trying to make the tech better, hopefully the next update will fix the random run pedestrians over glitch”. I get the convenience of it works, but come on I want to be walking around a vehicle test track. That’s not my job.
I'm pretty sure one thing the summon will do is not run over anyone. By the way, no one is forcing you to use it I intend to use it as much as possible. I like to be part of progress

Reactions: Runnergirl
I'm pretty sure one thing the summon will do is not run over anyone. By the way, no one is forcing you to use it I intend to use it as much as possible. I like to be part of progress
Oh I wouldn’t use it. But I am going to have to put up with people who will use it and have to wait to get where I am going while other people use their super huge and slow remote car to impress their buddies. Right now it’s not effective at anything other than pissing people off. I think the idea is fantastic, I just disagree with releasing it when it’s not ready. It’s going to cause issues. It’s not like beta testing a new os on your phone.

Reactions: duanra
Yes, I have parked my car in the garage using summon. Sometimes it is just easier to get out and use summon since the space can be tight depending on how the other car is parked. You can see summon turning to center the car. However, you do need to start with it roughly lined up so it can tell where to go. Lined up - yes. Exactly lined up - no.
Mine doesn’t work for pulling into my garage since the most recent two FW’s. It’s fine pulling out but for whatever reason it won’t go straight in to the garage even if I line it up perfectly.

Reactions: steve in socal
Oh I wouldn’t use it. But I am going to have to put up with people who will use it and have to wait to get where I am going while other people use their super huge and slow remote car to impress their buddies. Right now it’s not effective at anything other than pissing people off. I think the idea is fantastic, I just disagree with releasing it when it’s not ready. It’s going to cause issues. It’s not like beta testing a new os on your phone.
I just don’t think, with the specs right now, it’s practical and possibly even dangerous. I agree it’s a great idea but if it works the same way and at the speed as it pulls out of my garage there’ll be a lot of impatient drivers possibly not waiting behind and maybe cutting it off leading to accidents.

I just don’t think, with the specs right now, it’s practical and possibly even dangerous. I agree it’s a great idea but if it works the same way and at the speed as it pulls out of my garage there’ll be a lot of impatient drivers possibly not waiting behind and maybe cutting it off leading to accidents.
Exactly. There are enough random people that weirdly seem to hate Tesla’s enough as it is. Don’t know how many times I’ve heard about people getting the finger just because they were driving a Tesla.

Reactions: C141medic
Exactly. There are enough random people that weirdly seem to hate Tesla’s enough as it is. Don’t know how many times I’ve heard about people getting the finger just because they were driving a Tesla.
I definitely don't disagree with this. I for one will probably only use it to help train it at my work parking lot, I don't think I would adventure using it is a busy Mall parking lot. But we have to start somewhere, this will come very handy when it's raining or snowing.

I definitely don't disagree with this. I for one will probably only use it to help train it at my work parking lot, I don't think I would adventure using it is a busy Mall parking lot. But we have to start somewhere, this will come very handy when it's raining or snowing.
That is a very responsible way to do it I agree. But as the internet has already show us the majority of people are just going to unleash it on the world.

Reactions: C141medic