Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon coming (Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4E036930-F88C-4089-B5CF-089A7D8F46BF.png
Yeah, for a release that was supposed to be rolling out, I see no evidence of it actually rolling out.

Smart summon was interesting. I live on a dead end street so I backed my car up my driveway then walked down the street and it came to me. No warnings about driving on the road so I give it two thumbs up. Seems it will not back out of your driveway but it will gladly fly out of it driving forward.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
And why are you pissed off? Better than getting pissed on, no?

Nothing to be pissed off about. It's rolling out to everyone with FSD.

The comment was about the fact that FSD owners were supposed to be getting it before others, and as it turns out it looks like they just opened the flood gates to everybody all at once. So the people that bought FSD at full price and were promised early access (I'm not one of them, I bought at $2k) sort of got nothing in return for their money and time. That sucks for them.

It was just about 24 hours after the announcement that it was rolling out before we actually saw more than one or two instances of it. I'm glad to have it now.

The comment was about the fact that FSD owners were supposed to be getting it before others, and as it turns out it looks like they just opened the flood gates to everybody all at once. So the people that bought FSD at full price and were promised early access (I'm not one of them, I bought at $2k) sort of got nothing in return for their money and time. That sucks for them.

It was just about 24 hours after the announcement that it was rolling out before we actually saw more than one or two instances of it. I'm glad to have it now.

I don't see that they offered it to everyone right this moment, did they? I bought FSD.

I have now used Come to Me 15 times in various parking lots including a busy Walmart.

It works much better than expected!! It also travels at up to 6mph for me.

I am truly amazed that it works as well as it does.

the Tesla server did crash on me mid parking lot 1 time so I had to go get it as I could not log back into the app.

I guess that's what happens when 100,000 people all try to summon at once! lol

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
I have now used Come to Me 15 times in various parking lots including a busy Walmart.

It works much better than expected!! It also travels at up to 6mph for me.

I am truly amazed that it works as well as it does.

the Tesla server did crash on me mid parking lot 1 time so I had to go get it as I could not log back into the app.
I did it as well in a nice large lot at night here. It did well but made a sharp turn of the wheel and came inches from whacking the curb near a huge rock. I bailed and it stopped in time.
I have a feeling those wheel repair guys are going to do very well after this wknd.

Still entirely convince Enhanced Summon is of little practical value, and absolutely none for me.

But I’ll tell it was like a Christmas present opening flashback trying it out. The, well maybe you could call it “entertainment value”, is 10 of 10. This truly took me by surprise.

Not ready to try it out anywhere less than a car length from other vehicles/obstacles, yet.
You can always try Summon when your in the car if that helps.

I don't see that they offered it to everyone right this moment, did they? I bought FSD.

There are an awful lot of people that at least claim the didn't buy FSD that received it. If course, I can't say with certainty because the normal data sources don't show what options are enabled on these cars. But I wouldn't imagine someone would like about not owning FSD here, on Twitter, Reddit, M3OC, etc. It's totally possible, though.

Ugh, first report of a Smart Summon-related fender bender.

David F Guajardo on Twitter
Pretty sure that will be a 50/50 accident. Both cars could have avoided. Really tough for the Lexus since that’s the worst possible angle to see another car. Definitely going to be interesting to see how it works out. Path prediction is one of the trickiest parts of autonomous driving (though this case is pretty trivial).
If Tesla wasn’t using smart summon I think the accident probably wouldn’t have happened. On the other hand if both cars were using smart summon the accident probably wouldn’t have happened! :p

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: wenkan
Pretty sure that will be a 50/50 accident. Both cars could have avoided.

I’m pretty sure the backing party is at fault here (from the insurance perspective, not morally...). Though the Tesla did do a little headfake there in the second video. One could also argue that the Tesla should have been signaling - to clear up confusion. Though that is not required on private property, you still have a legal obligation to avoid accidents, and signaling appropriately to indicate intentions is part of that. People signal in parking lots - was Summon signaling?

See, this is why we need FSD. :rolleyes:

Still, I bet Tesla’s quarterly statistics will show the accident rate is lower per mile when using Smart Summon. :D Because of ultrasonics, amirite?

It is certainly the safest way (for you) to travel in parking lots, since you are not in the car. Too bad about everyone else. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: wenkan