Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Calling this a precursor to FSD is insulting. This is drunk driving at best.
If there is a book coming out about Tesla (no, not the hit piece by short sellers) the first thing I want to read is what happened behind the scenes around Summon.

My sense is that the Summon team is a small isolated team that is not working with rest of the AP team - because they thought they can quickly cobble something together and release. We'll know in a couple of weeks when EAP owners get v10 - and we can see if Summon is integrated with Stop sign detection.

Reactions: diplomat33
If there is a book coming out about Tesla (no, not the hit piece by short sellers) the first thing I want to read is what happened behind the scenes around Summon.

My sense is that the Summon team is a small isolated team that is not working with rest of the AP team - because they thought they can quickly cobble something together and release. We'll know in a couple of weeks when EAP owners get v10 - and we can see if Summon is integrated with Stop sign detection.

They are the main team, this is their attempt to solve many of the corner cases that will need to be solved for urban self driving.

They are the main team, this is their attempt to solve many of the corner cases that will need to be solved for urban self driving.
I'm obviously reading tea leaves - but Summon team is mostly procedural code devs. They are using NN - but are not tied to City NOA. Recently there may have been some tasks that got implemented in NN because of summon (curb, grass ?), but I think for the most part it is a separate team. The reason they are not tied to city NOA is because Tesla thought they can quickly finish and release summon and didn't want to take dependency on City NOA and get delayed.

Remember the guy who left a couple of months back was the tech lead for "summon team".

Why not ? It is just going at 3 mph - the car can stop almost instantly anytime.
Because the car has to be able to see everything with the cameras which Tesla has not demonstrated that they can do. We already know that the ultrasonics are insufficient to avoid collisions. There are a million different things to hit in a parking lot. It will be fascinating to see what things people manage to hit. I hope that TeslaCam is running while using Enhanced Summon!

At low speed ? I don't think we "know" that. The car has never failed to warn me of nearby objects when I park.
Is that a large enough sample size? Plenty of people have hit stuff using regular Summon and Autopark. And plenty of people have aborted Summon and Autopark to avoid hitting things. I think that will be more difficult to do with Enhanced Summon and there will be more exposure because people will be using it for longer distances.

Reactions: croman
Is that a large enough sample size? Plenty of people have hit stuff using regular Summon and Autopark. And plenty of people have aborted Summon and Autopark to avoid hitting things. I think that will be more difficult to do with Enhanced Summon and there will be more exposure because people will be using it for longer distances.
I'd say the sample size over a year (lets say 4 parking on avg per day, some ~ 1k) is not bad. I'd also say with some 500k cars on the road, we are looking at 500 Million parkings a year. We should expect some collisions even with six 9s (which is 1 per million).

ps : Is the fear with odd shaped objects not being caught by sonar / radar ?

It will be fascinating to see what things people manage to hit.

I’m wondering how Tesla will implement collision detection. I imagine when it fails to see something, it’s going to be persistent about continuing. Fortunately the owner will be monitoring it carefully. :)

The car has never failed to warn me of nearby objects when I park.

If I trusted the ultrasonic distance measurement, I would have scraped or broken my lower bumper on low curbs and parking end stops many times already. The problem appears to be distinguishing between bushes beyond the curb and the curb itself, and the end stop. I assume it uses the strongest return, and it seems to sometimes pick the longer distance.

But that may be a minor problem for Summon - probably it will be like Autopark and be super conservative on that front so risk of bumper destruction is minimal.

More of a concern is the stuff it just doesn’t see for whatever reason. It’ll be interesting to see all the edge cases - should be a good window into what the vision is capable of.

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
I think it highlights how difficult Tesla's approach is. Tesla is trying to do something with just vision that other companies use lidar and HD maps to accomplish. I think we should cut Tesla some slack.

I believe the “angst” people (customers, perspective customers, investors, AND employees) are feeling/expressing has more to do with regular disappointments driven by communications that end up being inaccurate (substance and timing) - much more so than what Tesla is trying to achieve through pioneering efforts. “It’s tough to schedule an invention” as they say for good reason. Musk needs to learn that “less is more,” re communicating hype, unless he’s fairly certain about something happening in a specific timeframe. YMMV. :)

How Waymo is teaching self-driving cars to deal with the chaos of parking lots

Waymo relies on heavily marked up maps. I want to see this type of article for what Tesla is really doing with Summon.

Well, my experience seeing enhanced summon is that the system picks a path based on the google maps terrain view and then attempts to follow that. So far few videos show the app screen during enhanced summon. My example here is on a circular driveway. Car was on the street parked in between the two entrances to the circular driveway and asked to come to the main driveway. The human way to do this would have been to back up 30 ft and turn in to the driveway. The system chose to go forward, swing into the circular drive, connect with the main drive and stop there. This path was clearly shown on the app's screen and the car followed it.

We already know that the ultrasonics are insufficient to avoid collisions.

Where are you getting this? It's widely accepted in the industry that ultrasonics are suitable to prevent collisions at low speeds. (~5-10mph)

I'm excited for enhanced summon, although I think its a gimmick with nearly no practical usability, especially when it first launches.

I have many concerns for it.... crashing into objects is not one of them

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Well, my experience seeing enhanced summon is that the system picks a path based on the google maps terrain view and then attempts to follow that. So far few videos show the app screen during enhanced summon. My example here is on a circular driveway. Car was on the street parked in between the two entrances to the circular driveway and asked to come to the main driveway. The human way to do this would have been to back up 30 ft and turn in to the driveway. The system chose to go forward, swing into the circular drive, connect with the main drive and stop there. This path was clearly shown on the app's screen and the car followed it.

Hmm, very interesting, didn't expect this.