Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I know. I was just trying to make the point that even though it did not come on AP1, it did eventually come.

Really because my car can't merge from an on ramp with NoA. It says it can but it ends up waiting until the lane ends and then going. I always have to engage it only after I'm in the proper lane at the right speed. Consumer reports wasn't wrong. NoA ain't what it is advertised as yet either.

Really because my car can't merge from an on ramp with NoA. It says it can but it ends up waiting until the lane ends and then going. I always have to engage it only after I'm in the proper lane at the right speed. Consumer reports wasn't wrong. NoA ain't what it is advertised as yet either.

Funny that you got a disagree on this post, because it’s 100% my experience as well. Every time I try to use it to get on the freeway it’s a harrowing experience. To start it gets dangerously close to the other lane that is also getting onto the on-ramp (I manually disengage here unless there are no other cars reasonably near by). Assuming it makes it to the on-ramp it then decides to swerve around somewhat violently as it tries to make sense of what is going on with the lanes (three lanes condensing to one, also generally a manual disengagement from me). It then creeps along towards the freeway at a slower-than-merging speed and shows no signs of cooperating with other traffic as it eventually merges due to the lane finally ending.

There has literally never been a time where I’ve used NoA that I haven’t found myself shouting “what the f*ck are you doing?!” in response to what my car is trying to do.

By the way, the reason I gave you a "disagree" is because I think the CR report is wrong on some points or at least misleading. And on the point of merging onto the highway from an on ramp, I don't use it with heavy traffic since I know it could be a problem. But with a clear right lane, NOA has merged onto the highway for me just fine.

There has literally never been a time where I’ve used NoA that I haven’t found myself shouting “what the f*ck are you doing?!” in response to what my car is trying to do.

I've used NoA plenty of times (but in no way every time I'm on a highway, I still do enjoy driving myself), but I've never (personally) had any scenarios where it reacted violently to anything. It's always been smooth and seems to react better than half of the drivers out there to changing scenarios.

I *do* think its decisions err on the side of conservative a bit too much (getting behind someone doing +10 under your set speed with no one in front of them when your exit isn't for another mile or two), and once it moved into the fast lane to correctly pass someone who was doing ~5mph slower than my set speed, and then decided not to and slowed down to move back behind them. It seems to have gotten progressively better since the first release, as all of these new features tend to though. (I currently have 2019.16.2).

Reactions: diplomat33
By the way, the reason I gave you a "disagree" is because I think the CR report is wrong on some points or at least misleading. And on the point of merging onto the highway from an on ramp, I don't use it with heavy traffic since I know it could be a problem. But with a clear right lane, NOA has merged onto the highway for me just fine.

It's not heavy traffic. It just doesn't work but keep on chugging. Trust me I've been there.

• Funny
Reactions: am_dmd and emmz0r
I wanted to find a "Holy" phrase from the boy wonder Robin to describe what's going on here but couldn't find/make one up that fit. :D

I think all should step back and actually see what happens. Oh no! That's a phrase in the current political vernacular.

Anyway, doesn't seem that 16.x has enhanced summon. The early access distribution was 9.x, so plenty of work left to do. I'd like to be a fanboy but I still just see no use for this feature (other than picking up mom at the front door).

Maybe someone should make a poll thread for bets on when it shows up... @diplomat33 ??

Anyway, doesn't seem that 16.x has enhanced summon. The early access distribution was 9.x, so plenty of work left to do. I'd like to be a fanboy but I still just see no use for this feature (other than picking up mom at the front door).

We already knew that 16.x would not have Enhanced Summon because we saw the release notes and it was not there.

We will know when Enhanced Summon is released for real because someone will post the release notes showing it. There is always that lucky owner who is among the first to get a new update and is able to post the release notes before the update reaches the masses.

Maybe someone should make a poll thread for bets on when it shows up... @diplomat33 ??

Good idea. Do it. :)

My favorite Elon phrase of all time:

16E8A84D-FBAF-4148-BB8F-F6886CB3EB14.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: 2012MS85 and croman
Anyone else interested in the rebranding to "Smart Summon"? More features than just Enhanced? Or just a different name?

Are you asking if Tesla should officially rebrand to "Smart Summon"? It's worth noting that on the FSD page, Tesla just calls it "Summon", not "Enhanced Summon". I suspect this will be like Enhanced Autopilot. Enhanced Summon is just a way to differentiate the improved Summon that is coming from the old Summon. But the official name will still just be "Summon".

Are you asking if Tesla should officially rebrand to "Smart Summon"? It's worth noting that on the FSD page, Tesla just calls it "Summon", not "Enhanced Summon". I suspect this will be like Enhanced Autopilot. Enhanced Summon is just a way to differentiate the improved Summon that is coming from the old Summon. But the official name will still just be "Summon".

Elon is calling it Smart Summon with two capitol S's now: Elon Musk on Twitter

Reactions: diplomat33
Elon is calling it Smart Summon with two capitol S's now: Elon Musk on Twitter

Thanks. I did not notice that. I like "Smart Summon" personally. I think it sounds better on the tongue than "Enhanced Summon". And if Tesla really does intend to eventually make it FSD where the car can drop you off and find a parking space on its own and come and get you when you are ready, it will be a great name. But let's hope it really is smart otherwise the name won't fit.

Reactions: boonedocks
But if you have AP1, it never came...

No, it didn't. And at this point it never will. Tesla has moved on from AP1 now. Look, I do empathize with AP1 owners. But the fact is that AP1 was first generation tech, like the very first iPhone. It was amazing when it came out. it was cutting edge when it came out. But it was first generation stuff that was always going to be surpassed by better tech. Even AP2 is going to be left behind soon for AP3.

No, it didn't. And at this point it never will. Tesla has moved on from AP1 now. Look, I do empathize with AP1 owners. But the fact is that AP1 was first generation tech, like the very first iPhone. It was amazing when it came out. it was cutting edge when it came out. But it was first generation stuff that was always going to be surpassed by better tech. Even AP2 is going to be left behind soon for AP3.
My point was, that “it will eventually come” is no consolation, if it comes to a different product that you were promised.

I believe, that enhanced summon will eventually come.

And just pray to the all mighty Elon that it doesn't go the same for you. It was promised for AP1 just like it has been promised to you....

I can assure you every you that every AP1 owner was as equally convinced then as you are today.