Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epilepsy Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using FSD for about 4 years now. I'm not a hard core, push the limits person. But in the vast majority of conditions, the car does well.

It seems like FSD could be set up to act as a back up for people who need to drive, but have occasional seizures.

The car could have a setting that would monitor the driver. If they detect a seizure, the car could slow and move to a safe location. I'm not looking for it to drive home or to the hospital. It should just get safe. It could then give the driver a few minutes to respond to a prompt before it notifies a designated person or EMS.

Seems like it could add mobility for a disabled group without endangering them or the rest of us.

I've been using FSD for about 4 years now. I'm not a hard core, push the limits person. But in the vast majority of conditions, the car does well.
It hasn't actually been out for 4 years, first becoming available to a limited subset of owners (remember the "safety score"?) in fall of 2020.
It seems like FSD could be set up to act as a back up for people who need to drive, but have occasional seizures.

The car could have a setting that would monitor the driver. If they detect a seizure, the car could slow and move to a safe location. I'm not looking for it to drive home or to the hospital. It should just get safe. It could then give the driver a few minutes to respond to a prompt before it notifies a designated person or EMS.

Seems like it could add mobility for a disabled group without endangering them or the rest of us.
Yeah, the devil's in the details. How would you determine if the driver is having a seizure?

I didn’t find this in the manual, but when AP was first introduced, I recall that if you were prompted to take over manually and failed to do so, the car would come to a stop and turn on the emergency flashers. Not exactly what the OP is asking for, but better than nothing.

The car is still a Level 2 driver assistance system and needs a driver to monitor the road be ready to take over immediately at any time. If tesla releases unsupervised autonomy the car can drive itself. Until then, it can't.

When the driver doesn't responds to nags or is inattentive it will stop in the middle of the road with hazard lights on.

To use the car as the OP suggests would be very dangerous. The car's response to failure to remain attentive is to stop in the traffic lane. While this might actually be helpful for someone who becomes non-responsive and needs medical assistance because the obstructing car might result in a 911 call, it may also leave the car in an unsafe location that could result in a crash. It's probably better than having the car run off the road in the event the driver has an unexpected stroke of heart attack, but not something that should be used for a known condition like seizures.

An L4 system would be required to be safe. Possibly future cars could have a means to monitor at risk passengers and respond appropriately in the event of an emergency condition. For example, a car could have a bluetooth link to a heart monitor that could bring the car to a safe stop and call 911 in the event of a heart attack. Cabin cameras could monitor for potential strokes.

Reactions: spacecoin
The car already has epilepsy, which is why a licensed driver has to have both hands on the wheel, one eye on the lower left of the display and one eye on the upper left of the display, (you have to tip your head, but it's doable), at all times, without interruption.

The question may be moot, because most of my passengers seem to develop seizures shortly after the car starts moving anyhow? They aren't contagious are they?