Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error | Incline too steep: parking brake may not hold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience with separate parking brakes on ICE vehicles is that they hold better to stop forward motion than rearward motion. Backing up the driveway when parking may eliminate the warning message. Turning the steering wheels hard to one side would also be wise as would using a wheel chock.

Keeping the car from rolling onto the street would be my primary concern.

Maybe Tesla got more data about the parking brake capabilities. Tesla is not known for super thorough testing before shipping cars, Elon model is "ship it and fix it later". This could just be that someone finally got around to checking what the max grade the parking brake can hold and added a warning to the software to wash their hands of any liability. Or, maybe as part of cost cutting the new parking brakes are weaker, but software has no way of knowing which ones you have installed, so warning is for shown to all. Or maybe it's a Model 3 feature which accidentally got turned on for Model S. It's really hard to tell with Tesla.
The software can actually be aware of specific equipment because the software is VIN specific. It varies depending on hardware equipped on the car and Tesla is very aware of when they made hardware changes. They don’t like to share the vin specific equipment changes but they are aware. Not saying that this is the issue and they don’t make mistakes but the software without a doubt is specific. If the different equipment is retrofitted then obviously the software can’t see actual equipment.

Reactions: shirosan
My experience with separate parking brakes on ICE vehicles is that they hold better to stop forward motion than rearward motion. Backing up the driveway when parking may eliminate the warning message. Turning the steering wheels hard to one side would also be wise as would using a wheel chock.

Keeping the car from rolling onto the street would be my primary concern.
Parking brakes work better going forward only on rear drum brake cars because of the design of floating shoes in a drum "self applying" force as the drum rotates forward. In a rear disc application the direction of rotation has equal braking and thus makes no difference.

Well, this is a Model S thread and not a model 3 thread, but the same thing happens in a Model S. That does not mean there is no parking pawl. In fact I can specifically remember some discussions about it, but I'll have to look it up to get references. I have this vague idea that there is or was some law that required it. Could be wrong though.
New Mercedes vehicles also use the same type parking brake on the rear discs as Tesla instead of an old style parking pawl in the transmission. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was sourced from the same supplier as MB uses.

The software can actually be aware of specific equipment because the software is VIN specific. It varies depending on hardware equipped on the car and Tesla is very aware of when they made hardware changes. They don’t like to share the vin specific equipment changes but they are aware. Not saying that this is the issue and they don’t make mistakes but the software without a doubt is specific. If the different equipment is retrofitted then obviously the software can’t see actual equipment.
Software is aware of the VIN, but then there needs to be a database of what VIN has what parts. That database needs to be updated whenever a part is swapped out. Keeping an up to date database of all parts in each car is a huge burden, and nobody does that. For parts which have communication controllers, the version of the part may be auto-discovered, however I'm not sure calipers have their own comms interface.

No transmission —> no parking Pawls.

No, that does not necessarily follow. Besides Teslas do have a transmissions. A single gear step down transmission, really just a speed reducer, but it does transmit power through gears.

I found, in the link below, a reminder. The Roadster did have a parking pawl, as did the Mercedes b-class with the Tesla drive. But apparently Tesla did not add it to the s.

How does Tesla keep a car stationary when parked? : teslamotors

Hello!

Wondering if anyone has experienced this error and if anything was done to correct it?. Been about a week since I received 2019.8.3, and I have started getting this error whenever parking in my driveway (which is at an incline, however have been parking the same for 2 years with no errors).

I do have the Tilt/Intrusion sensor installed as well (been installed for about 3 months), so I am wondering if this something related to 2019.8.3 and having the tilt sensor installed?

I have included a pic of the error, wondering if anyone is familiar with this one.

I have had exactly the same message. It appeared for the first time the morning after I installed the latest upgrade v9.0 (2019.8.5 3aaa23d) here in Australia and now appears every time I park on my driveway. I have an X100D. I have a steep driveway but have been parking on it without incident (or warning message!) since I bought my X new in December 17

No, that does not necessarily follow. Besides Teslas do have a transmissions. A single gear step down transmission, really just a speed reducer, but it does transmit power through gears.

I found, in the link below, a reminder. The Roadster did have a parking pawl, as did the Mercedes b-class with the Tesla drive. But apparently Tesla did not add it to the s.

How does Tesla keep a car stationary when parked? : teslamotors

I would say there is definitely something more than just the brakes engaging. When I engage the braking “hold” on my significantly steep driveway and then engage Park the car moves forward a little as the hold brake is let off and the “Park” mechanism (however it functions) engages.

I have had exactly the same message. It appeared for the first time the morning after I installed the latest upgrade v9.0 (2019.8.5 3aaa23d) here in Australia and now appears every time I park on my driveway. I have an X100D. I have a steep driveway but have been parking on it without incident (or warning message!) since I bought my X new in December 17

I have had no luck finding a solution, have a service appointment coming up mid May and plan to ask them about it then. For now I just make sure to engage the Parking brake (hold down park until the Red P pops up).

Do you have any proof for this statement? I asked the same question a while back and the consensus was there was just one standard parking brake mode.
HOLD does not use the parking brake. You push and hold the brake pedal until the HOLD indicator cones on. HOLD is released by pushing the brake pedal again or pushing the accelerator pedal.

As far as the parking brake shoes, look through the spokes of your rear wheels. Both sets of brake calipers are plainly visible. The small one at the rear of the wheel is the parking brake caliper.

HOLD does not use the parking brake. You push and hold the brake pedal until the HOLD indicator cones on. HOLD is released by pushing the brake pedal again or pushing the accelerator pedal.

As far as the parking brake shoes, look through the spokes of your rear wheels. Both sets of brake calipers are plainly visible. The small one at the rear of the wheel is the parking brake caliper.

We are not discussing the Hold feature though. We are discussing if there is a difference between just pressing Park and presseing and holding Park until the parking brake icon appears...

Older cars have separate dedicated parking brake calipers on the rears (my '14 does). At some point, they redesigned the main rear caliper to integrate the parking brake function and eliminated the dedicated parking brake caliper.
We are not discussing the Hold feature though. We are discussing if there is a difference between just pressing Park and presseing and holding Park until the parking brake icon appears...
What possible reason would there be for a half-assed "partial" parking brake mode? That makes no sense.

There is only one set of extra brake shoes on the rear wheels. There are no extra brake shoes on the front wheels. The parking brake and the "emergency" brake are the same brake shoes.
There is only one set of extra brake shoes on the rear wheels. There are no extra brake shoes on the front wheels. The parking brake and the "emergency" brake are the same brake shoes.

They are actually brake pads not shoes, shoes are used in drum brakes, pads are used in disc brakes. Tesla recently switched over in late 2018 to a single rear caliper with an internal parking brake mechanism on the S and on that it uses the same service brakes also for parking. The OP lists his car as a 2017 S75, that car uses a separate parking brake with its own small caliper on each rear rotor. It has equal braking force in either direction.