Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Etiquette Question: When is a Super Charger not a Super Charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may have done this "bad thing" a few times within the first two months of ownership (not at a Supercharger or other public charger). This may explain why I was already short on mileage before I reached 3000 miles - albeit, only by a fraction. But still, so early into ownership?

60 KwH (software limited 75 - still), max was 210 miles when new in April.

• 90% is now no higher than 188 (89.5%)
  • 100% is now no higher than 208 (99%)
Just to stay on the topic of etiquette, do not leave your fully-charged vehicle at any public charging station for any length of time if you can help it. Doing so is poor etiquette.
Agree with your last sentence of course. Also, your losing 1% range after 3000 miles seems normal - range loss is larger during the first thousands of miles, and flattens out later.

In another thread some one stated that - per etiquette - you should not leave your car taking up a spot on a Super Charger overnight, but you can do so at a destination charger. What if your destination charger is a Super Charger? I recently did a trip from the Bay Area to Boise, and two of my hotels had a bank of Super Chargers (the Atlantis in Reno and the Oxford Suites in Boise). The other thing I should add in this mix is that I saw maybe three or four other Teslas using Super Chargers outside of California the entire trip (and this was the Wednesday through Monday of Memorial Day weekend).
Well well well--a thread about Boise. I was wondering how it got to three pages, but now I see almost a page of it is about the impact of leaving the battery sitting at 100%.

There is the standard advice, and it's fine, but there's also the reality and common sense. People are proposing some insane "ya never know!" scenarios about how a convoy of 50 Teslas is going to miraculously show up in the middle of the night on that particular night you're there, and your car is going to be a big problem, etc. That's B.S. for this location.

So here's the reality. I drive by that Supercharger in Boise a couple of times a week. It's empty. It was empty when you got there and after you left, and I'm pretty certain it's empty right now. I've never seen more than one car using it at a time. So you're not going to be in anyone's way or prevent anyone from charging. For that matter, it's never even been HALF full, so you won't even cause anyone to have to be paired on a charger, or get to where idle fees could happen.

So common sense can apply, and at the 8 stall Boise Supercharger, it's not going to matter for the next few years.

• Disagree
Reactions: bxr140 and sdorn
No, I'd choose my hotel based on charging amenities. Hotels that have a Super Charger were ideal, because I wouldn't have to worry about whether the connector was compatible with my car. On our return through Reno we stayed at another hotel (because the Atlantis was booked the Sunday night of Memorial Day weekend) with one spot that had a 40a Tesla charger and another charger on a pole and that was perfectly fine. I guess in future I'll just have to take a chance as to what kind of charger a hotel has and not patronize the ones with Super Chargers. Being fully rested for a long drive is more important to me.
It was intended as a commentary on Supercharger usage, not a treatise on hotel selection.

I just wanted to chime in on this issue. I think the normal thinking/convention is to find an overnight charging spot at/near your hotel.

But for the reasons above (which happened to me *once*), the plan I now use on all long road trips (and I've taken many), is that I plan my hotel stops almost equidistant between Supercharger stops.

This way, towards the end of the day, I'll pull in and charge for 30 minutes or so or whatever is needed to get to the next supercharger (the next day). Stop at the hotel somewhere along the highway and just park there overnight. Check-in, go to sleep.

The next morning, I'll get up and out on the early-ish side, drive 30-40 minutes to the next SC, and then stop and have a leisurely breakfast and have an almost full charge by the time I'm done breakfast. Then I'm ready for that day's travels with a nearly full charge. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Using this method, I never have to worry about finding a hotel near a supercharger, or a hotel with local level 2 charging. I can just find a nice, affordable hotel along my route, and just use the Superchargers as I would normally be doing anyway.

I've found that to be a decent model as well. On location I travel to yearly has superchargers either ~20 or ~90 minutes away on my route home...I'll pick which I need to make it back.

A beach location we travel to has one about 100 miles away... we hit it on the way out.

I'd rather a destination have more Level 2 spots than fewer supercharging spots.

Well well well--a thread about Boise. I was wondering how it got to three pages, but now I see almost a page of it is about the impact of leaving the battery sitting at 100%.

There is the standard advice, and it's fine, but there's also the reality and common sense. People are proposing some insane "ya never know!" scenarios about how a convoy of 50 Teslas is going to miraculously show up in the middle of the night on that particular night you're there, and your car is going to be a big problem, etc. That's B.S. for this location.

So here's the reality. I drive by that Supercharger in Boise a couple of times a week. It's empty. It was empty when you got there and after you left, and I'm pretty certain it's empty right now. I've never seen more than one car using it at a time. So you're not going to be in anyone's way or prevent anyone from charging. For that matter, it's never even been HALF full, so you won't even cause anyone to have to be paired on a charger, or get to where idle fees could happen.

So common sense can apply, and at the 8 stall Boise Supercharger, it's not going to matter for the next few years.

There will undoubtedly be exceptions to the rule. Just as there are with any "etiquette" subjects.

But I think the "don't monopolize them when done charing" sentiments expressed here:

1) Hold for the majority of cases
2) Are a best practice as more and more EV's are on the roads, especially with the model 3 coming
3) Generally show graciousness to others in sharing what are still largely limited resources in an "early adopter" phase of the EV era...

There will undoubtedly be exceptions to the rule. Just as there are with any "etiquette" subjects.

But I think the "don't monopolize them when done charging" sentiments expressed here:

1) Hold for the majority of cases

I don't disagree. It's the good applicable advice that you can consistently give that works fine without knowing any of the specific cases.

2) Are a best practice as more and more EV's are on the roads, especially with the model 3 coming

Well yes, eventually, but again, this is where specifics matter. That's going to be another couple of years for this area. There are still a lot of people around here who don't even know what Tesla is. Almost no one outside of existing Tesla owners even knows that Model 3 is a thing. They think Teslas are like Lamborghinis, and they could never hope to afford one, so it's not even on their radar. That's most people around here. I just got to show my car to a guy a couple weeks ago who knew about Tesla and liked it but still hadn't gotten a chance to actually see one in person. He didn't even know anyone who had one here. Long story, but he met a guy visiting from Switzerland(!) who had two of them back home who reached out on this forum and got hold of me. Yes, travelers are the main use, not local, but it's pretty light along I-84 here. I can guarantee that the Boise Supercharger being talked about here will never be full throughout all of 2017 or 2018.

3) Generally show graciousness to others in sharing what are still largely limited resources in an "early adopter" phase of the EV era...

Well, no, it's the opposite of a limited resource here. It's excess for now and the near future. That's the effect of how they have built out the Supercharger network. They needed to connect routes early on. It would have been unwise to put in a two or four stall location at first to just meet the level of need for the next year or two in Boise. The big cost is design and construction, so they put in 8 to vastly overbuild it to cover the upcoming decade of capacity, so they won't need to come back for construction again soon.

There are different areas with a lot more Teslas and not enough Superchargers where people do need to follow that general advice, but in these areas that are overbuilt versus the amount of use, it just doesn't matter yet and won't for years.

So here's the reality. I drive by that Supercharger in Boise a couple of times a week. It's empty. It was empty when you got there and after you left, and I'm pretty certain it's empty right now.

I will state that a red S came through a couple times during our stay, and a silver/grey S (with stickers on it) was there the morning we left - and we saw that one again in Twin Falls (where we were almost ICEd out by a bus parking across the spaces!) It was a holiday weekend, so I guess that a couple more people were passing through...

Which hotel have you seen with a connector you couldn't use? I've never seen hotels with anything besides Tesla or J1772.

Well this was our first trip with overnights in multiple locations (our first one was an overnight 140 miles away, so a single supercharger stop was all we needed, as the destination had a 110v available if we needed it.) So I'd never encountered what hotels have, or don't have, in terms of charging equipment. I don't have a CHAdeMO adapter, so my worry would be not being able to charge because of that.

Well this was our first trip with overnights in multiple locations (our first one was an overnight 140 miles away, so a single supercharger stop was all we needed, as the destination had a 110v available if we needed it.) So I'd never encountered what hotels have, or don't have, in terms of charging equipment. I don't have a CHAdeMO adapter, so my worry would be not being able to charge because of that.
No worries. Hotels wouldn't have CHAdeMO, and anywhere there is a CHAdeMO station there would almost always be a J1772 nearby.

Heh, CHAdeMO in this area is kind of a joke. There is one in Boise, it's at a Nissan dealership, and Teslas are forbidden from using it. I'm not kidding. The sign doesn't say Teslas specifically, but it says no adapters allowed. There are only two others in the whole state--Pocatello and Idaho Falls.

Well, no, it's the opposite of a limited resource here. It's excess for now and the near future. That's the effect of how they have built out the Supercharger network. They needed to connect routes early on. It would have been unwise to put in a two or four stall location at first to just meet the level of need for the next year or two in Boise. The big cost is design and construction, so they put in 8 to vastly overbuild it to cover the upcoming decade of capacity, so they won't need to come back for construction again soon.

There are different areas with a lot more Teslas and not enough Superchargers where people do need to follow that general advice, but in these areas that are overbuilt versus the amount of use, it just doesn't matter yet and won't for years.

That probably won't work to dodge an idling fee for leaving your car at a supercharger for long periods of time. :)

I look at this differently than you do - how we behave today sets the standard for how people behave in the future. There are times that I leave my vehicle at a charger & I know I might not be back to move it as quickly as I should. And that is why I leave my phone number on the car. I don't care if it's a supercharger or J1772 in the wild.

Leave it if you don't mind paying idling fees. But PLEASE role model for future new owners & leave a way to contact you, if needed. You asked about etiquette (even though we seem to be more on rationalizing at this point). Early Roadster owners left phone numbers so to share a limited resource. And that has worked well for all these years.

That won't apply because there are no idle fees if the station is less than half full, which this one always is.

I know you don't believe that there are groups of Teslas that roam the country :), but there are. That 'always empty station' could quickly become overloaded. And that 'won't have to pay an idling fee' could add up pretty quickly.

@TeslaRoadTrip - Supercharging Across America

But I still don't understand why you think superchargers at hotels are a problem. Charge up to 90% when you arrive (or even less if you arrive late and don't want to wait that long for it), move the car to a nearby space, and charge the remainder while you are getting ready in the morning and having breakfast.

It's not disliking Super Chargers at hotels (it just confuses matters when a destination has Super Chargers, and no Destination Chargers). It's really a matter of time, and safety (i.e.: Being fully rested.)

This particular trip (Bay Area to Boise) the second leg was a long one. Between the charging stops in Winnemucca, Elko and Twin Falls (we managed to skip Lovelock out bound, but not on the return) plus the fact that we actually had to go through Elko and Twin Falls to get to Boise, when the shorter route is north out of Winnemucca not further east (which adds 2 hours of driving - 255 v 423 miles). So there was no time to wake up, move the car, take a leisurely breakfast, and then hit the road.

From all the comments about the etiquette, it would be better for all if I pick a destination with a Destination Charger that I can plug into overnight instead of a Super Charger that would delay my getting to sleep and necessitate getting up earlier to finish the job. Luckily, I don't have plans to go to Boise again soon (all the niblings there have graduated...)

This particular trip (Bay Area to Boise) the second leg was a long one. Between the charging stops in Winnemucca, Elko and Twin Falls (we managed to skip Lovelock out bound, but not on the return) plus the fact that we actually had to go through Elko and Twin Falls to get to Boise, when the shorter route is north out of Winnemucca not further east (which adds 2 hours of driving - 255 v 423 miles). So there was no time to wake up, move the car, take a leisurely breakfast, and then hit the road.
I'm curious why you decided to take that much longer route through Twin Falls. I know someone with an 85 who has done Winnemucca to Boise with no charging. That's the downhill direction. I've done it southward, which is the uphill direction, and it only needed a 1 hour stop for lunch and charge in McDermitt.
Winnemucca, NV to Boise ?

That won't apply because there are no idle fees if the station is less than half full, which this one always is.
I know you don't believe that there are groups of Teslas that roam the country :), but there are. That 'always empty station' could quickly become overloaded. And that 'won't have to pay an idling fee' could add up pretty quickly.
I'll 2nd Bonnie's post. Sheridan, WY had FOUR charging and TWO waiting on Sunday afternoon after the Custer Rally last month. I'm sure there were several others who had finished charging and left. Any locals that walked by just gawked. Rare? Yes, but still possible. The best way to ensure a full SC is to host a Tesla event. Free beer at Rocky's place;)

Reactions: bonnie
I'll 2nd Bonnie's post. Sheridan, WY had FOUR charging and TWO waiting on Sunday afternoon after the Custer Rally last month. I'm sure there were several others who had finished charging and left. Any locals that walked by just gawked. Rare? Yes, but still possible. The best way to ensure a full SC is to host a Tesla event. Free beer at Rocky's place;)
Notice how there are only four stalls there instead of eight? I don't like beer, but I would gladly introduce people to some hard cider. Well, the charging was free at my place before the Superchargers got built, so party on!. Funny how this is about me now when I've never done this and generally wouldn't.

I'm curious why you decided to take that much longer route through Twin Falls.

All the trip planners that I consulted took me that way - probably because that was the only Super Charger route.

I know someone with an 85 who has done Winnemucca to Boise with no charging.

Based on my data, I'd get about 200 miles on a full 75kWh charge, so the leg between McDermitt and Boise might be a bit nail bitting. Also, the longer charging time on the McDermitt charger (and that there is only one charger) might be why I was routed through Twin Falls...

I have done several cross country trips and have left my car parked in the supercharger with my contact number on the dash. In 4 cases it was fine. In 1 case a driver called at 2:15am. I just remote started and let him move the car. CAVIAT: Lots more Tesla's on the road now and truth is, if you plug in, get checked in, get situated it's nothing to go back outside and move the car before going to bed. AT A BARE MINIMUM post your contact info on dash.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Yes, AND treat Destination chargers the same way.

At TMC Connect, I got up at 4:11 to move my Model X out of the way when it finished charging. I know there were other Teslas that also needed that slot, but even had I not known, it's pretty easy to act all the time as though you are the Tesla Ambassador that all of us are.

Do the right thing - you know what it is.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf and KJD