Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU finalize and deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well even if it turns out to be correct it's nothing like "a Fisker experience" (yet).

I was referring to the delays at Fisker, not so much the build quality of the car which I expect to be unlike Fisker's.

But the delays are stacking up like they did with Fisker. Many of us are looking at half a year delay already in a relatively short period. One year ago there was still talk of first European deliveries in late 2012, which then became early 2013. Just in February we were still promised delivery in spring for Signatures and summer for P's. For most European countries (not Norway and Switzerland) that is now rapidly becoming fall and winter.

I was referring to the delays at Fisker, not so much the build quality of the car which I expect to be unlike Fisker's.

But the delays are stacking up like they did with Fisker. Many of us are looking at half a year delay already in a relatively short period. One year ago there was still talk of first European deliveries in late 2012, which then became early 2013. Just in February we were still promised delivery in spring for Signatures and summer for P's. For most European countries (not Norway and Switzerland) that is now rapidly becoming fall and winter.
I understand what you are referring to. I placed my reservation in April 2009 and you bet I've been following this closely and am eagerly waiting for my car to arrive in Germany. And yes, the original announcement referred to 2011 even (but was corrected to 2012 way ahead). Yet, I'm far from feeling Fiskerized. I have no reason to doubt that my car will arrive pretty soon, a couple of weeks give or take. Tesla seems to be on top of things like homologation, production, import paperwork, shipping logistics, distribution center in Tilburg... Nothing obviously terribly lacking so far.

If Tesla did not start to produce European cars in Q2, it wasn't because they couldn't. They are obviously able to build cars at a significant rate and to high quality standards. There are a number of reasons why they may have deliberately decided to push production of European cars to Q3, not the least being the fact that producing cars in one quarter and selling them in another creates an unsettling gap in the quarterly reports. Yes they could have known and communicated this in advance, but then again, they are really walking a razor thin line with their communication. Just look at their crazy stock chart to see what I mean. Elon managed to squeeze some significant shorts, to the benefit of the shareholders, the company, and us as their customers (because it helps building a solid business -- unlike Fisker). If that means I have to wait four more weeks on top of the four years I waited already, that's totally worth it.

Last edited:
I understand what you are referring to. I placed my reservation in April 2009 and you bet I've been following this closely and am eagerly waiting for my car to arrive in Germany. And yes, the original announcement referred to 2011 even (but was corrected to 2012 way ahead). Yet, I'm far from feeling Fiskerized. I have no reason to doubt that my car will arrive pretty soon, a couple of weeks give or take. Tesla seems to be on top of things like homologation, production, import paperwork, shipping logistics, distribution center in Tilburg... Nothing obviously terribly lacking so far.

If Tesla did not start to produce European cars in Q2, it wasn't because they couldn't. They are obviously able to build cars at a significant rate and to high quality standards. There are a number of reasons why they may have deliberately decided to push production of European cars to Q3, not the least being the fact that producing cars in one quarter and selling them in another creates an ugly whole in the quarterly reports. Yes they could have known and communicated this in advance, but then again, they are really walking a razor thin line with their communication. Just look at their crazy stock chart to see what I mean. Elon managed to squeeze some significant shorts, to the benefit of the shareholders, the company, and us as their customers (because it helps building a solid business -- unlike Fisker). If that means I have to wait four more weeks on top of the four years I waited already, that's totally worth it.

I can understand that Tesla had 'strategic' reasons to delay production of the European cars until Q3. And I support those considerations. And concerning Fisker: the delays are not as bad as they were at Fisker, where they would simply add half a year or more each time.

What bugs me though is the lack of communication about the delivery schedule (unfortunately another Fisker-analogy). I was called several times when I still had to place the order. I thought it was to make sure that I felt appreciated. But after I signed four months ago I've heard nothing anymore and now I'm starting to think the calls were just to make sure I would sign.

What bugs me though is the lack of communication about the delivery schedule (unfortunately another Fisker-analogy). I was called several times when I still had to place the order. I thought it was to make sure that I felt appreciated. But after I signed four months ago I've heard nothing anymore and now I'm starting to think the calls were just to make sure I would sign.
I agree very much. I had the same experience. I was called almost daily as long as i didn't sign the contract. I even mentioned once to the Tesla representative to stop using telephone terror methods (that's how we call this in swiss german). After I signed, there was no active communication from Tesla anymore at all. When I called, I got misleading and wrong information. Not always but more often than acceptable.

I am very much looking forward to get that car. I'm really excited. Still!

But there is a concern growing: If it's so important to sell new cars and so unimportant to maintain the current customers with the information they want and need, what will happen if there is a problem with an already sold car? Will there be enough support to get the problem fixed? Will there be enough spare parts around? Will it be important enough for Tesla to solve the problem in a reasonable amount of time?
In the forums I can read that there are many problems with cars needing repair in the US. I cannot see signs that it will be better in Europe.
In fact, I lost a lot of my confidence in Tesla's customer care.

I just hope that I will not get a 'Monday car' and everything will be fine :)

Last edited:
it's obvious that we are already getting two different types of customers i n europe although no cars have been delivered yet. the ones that are long time TESLA/EV diehards and the more early mainstreamers. this is obviously due to the huge success TESLA has had in the US since the initial production launch of the MS last year. so some of us are ok with all the idiosyncrasies and short comings with the company's actions and some of us are a lot less tolerant. I think Volker is right in so many ways because it is soooo important that TESLA is here for the long term and not for the next few months. they are obviously not putting a lot of resources on communications right now but I can tell you that as a roadster owner, their service is impeccable. however, they have many heardles to overcome now that they will have to grow exponentially. but luckily they are learning daily in the US. this does not mean it will be perfect in europe or even close to that but the learning process will be a bit shorter. it is very difficult to start a new company and to expand exponentially and it is even more difficult to do that on a global scale in a very short time. judge them in five years from now not in five weeks from now

I think that Tesla has set very ambitious goals. They are not all realized. Success with the car and not timelines, cost, or communication are the keys to Tesla's success. All of Tesla's ambitions are high. It amazes me that they have realized so many of their ambitions.

I waited through their Roadster and everyone else's trials at electric cars. The Model S was a good enough concept that I put down big money when they had no factory and waited for years. I pinch myself every time I sit downin my Model S. It is just that good.

it's obvious that we are already getting two different types of customers i n europe although no cars have been delivered yet. the ones that are long time TESLA/EV diehards and the more early mainstreamers. [...] they are obviously not putting a lot of resources on communications right now but I can tell you that as a roadster owner, their service is impeccable. however, they have many heardles to overcome now that they will have to grow exponentially. but luckily they are learning daily in the US. this does not mean it will be perfect in europe or even close to that but the learning process will be a bit shorter. it is very difficult to start a new company and to expand exponentially and it is even more difficult to do that on a global scale in a very short time. judge them in five years from now not in five weeks from now
Thanks for calling me a mainstreamer :confused:
I agree that it's very difficult to start a project and a company like Tesla and even more difficult to expand into many countries in short time. But that's exactly part of what makes me a bit nervous for the time after delivery. If they are not able to communicate well now, how will they be able to after having that many thousands of Model S on the road all over Europe? It's not something completely new for them, how long are the roadsters around? They really need to get to the flatter part of the learning curve before the Model S are on the streets.

However, I hope everything turns out well, for us future owners and for Tesla.

Its better they Communicate WHEN they got something to tell you rather than communicating just for the sake of communicating.

Right now you actually don't need to know anything from a person at Tesla. Your status is on MyTesla.

Tapatalkin' from iTalatut...

Its better they Communicate WHEN they got something to tell you rather than communicating just for the sake of communicating.

Right now you actually don't need to know anything from a person at Tesla. Your status is on MyTesla.

I think there is definitely something to tell a customer if MyTesla is still saying July-August as delivery timeframe, when in fact (as I found out) it has moved to October.

Anyway, the last info you got from Tesla, regardless of the guesstimated delivery timeframe was; you will be contacted 30 days prior to delivery to schedule the last things.

While it might not be the best customer service experience not constantly contacting you every time Tesla decides to make a small change that might, or might now push back or forth your window (as In production variations from 480/week to 530/week will have some effect on your delivery) - by contacting you somewhat 30 days prior to delivery they Are actually delivering the updates as you were promised them; thank you for finalizing, now we will contact you again 30 days prior to your delivery. We guess (and hope) it will be In the July/august timeframe based on todays avalable information - but still we promise to contact you In said 30 days.

Tapatalkin' from iTalatut...

I called a few days ago and was told, the shipment to europ will last 41days and i can expect delivery last week august/frist week September (after 3 years wait)

#32 VIN 14983 sig red sig white interieur performance plus + pano + winter + parksensor

I think it would have helped it there were some communication from Tesla about timing. My original shipping date was June/July. I only learned from the forums that my car won't be shipping in this timeframe, but in August. No word from Tesla about it. I have then confirmed myself the delay until around mid August with Tesla. That's less than 30 days, but no word from Tesla yet. So I'm kind of guessing that it will be later than mid August. Shall I inquire? I guess I just trust Eberhard ;-)

I kind of know that my car is on the ship already, but MyTesla page still says 'The Tesla Factory is building your Model S Signature.' So this also does not seem to reflect the reality. I guess production for EU cars ends in Tilburg.

I really look forward to getting my car and I did have some plans for August which I need to change, but I don't mind so much. But still a bit of communication does not hurt at all. It shouldn't be hard to send an email to 500 Sig owners and update them on the progress. This should also avoid 500 owners to inquire about the shipping status every second week. Or is this some material information that can't be shared outside a public company?

I for one think that 'toms' has a point and that the whole ordering and delivery experience better not be an indicator of how the whole customer experience will be with Tesla.

There HAS to be room for transparency for people that have put a lot of faith in Tesla Motors, even when being listed on NASDAQ. Perhaps the temptation to be 'santa claus' on Twitter or at live streamed events somewhat overshadows the ambition to keep customers up to date? If not, why have we not seen a picture of the charging port and specs for it? I have renovated my house these last 8 months and had to GUESS how to prepare the wiring to charge my EUR 100,000+ car. Not a happy customer so far...

Last edited: