Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Norway, 2020 vs 2019
TESLA 8602 vs 18798
looks like a supply starvation problem to me.

(see eu-evs.com for data)
Tesla delivered more cars in Norway this December than the other 11 months combined. I have no good explanation. Norwegians did not wait 11 months for cars. They did not all wake up one day and decide to buy a Model 3. Tesla offered 0.25% financing, but that's small potatoes. There was talk of a subsidy decline in '21, but that would have affected all EVs. No other models, not even S and X, showed similar EOY spikes except for ......... Jaguar i-Pace. Less than 600 through early November then suddenly 700+ in the closing weeks! And we know i-Pace wasn't "supply starved". I suspect discounted fleet sales of some type, but don't know enough about Norway to dig up details.

Tesla also had a huge EOY surge in the Netherlands, but that's easier to explain. Most EVs there are "employee cars" which receive a huge BIK tax break vs. ICE. The tax break steps down each year, so leasing companies pre-buy tons of EVs late in the year and lease them out during the following year at the lower BIK rate. Last year Audi sold 3k+ eTrons in December after selling only 1k the first 11 months! But that's chicken feed compared to Tesla, which delivered 26k cars there the final 4 months of 2019 (then only 4k the first 11 months of 2020).

Tesla had to share the Dutch EOY pie with lots of other players this year, so their numbers plummeted. All 10k+ VW ID3s sold in the last four months, of course, and even ID4 got in on the action the last couple weeks with 2.3k deliveries. Hyundai Kona got a nice 4300 bump in December to come in just shy of 10k for the year (7.5k BEVs and 2.5k PHEV/HEV mix). Volvo/Polestar also came in late with 5k Q4 BEVs.

Both of these tiny markets were once important to Tesla, each producing >10% of global revenue for a while. But Tesla has grown mightily elsewhere (especially China) while declining in Norway and the Netherlands, so they no longer matter much. Fortunately....

The SR+ accounts for only 5% of m3 sales in Norway, and when he specified the LR in the video, the price reduction was <5%, useful but not explaining the big jump. Still weird.
I had forgotten the Norwegian price cut was in Q4. CleanTechnica says LR dropped from 484,900 to 449,900, or 7.2%. All but 3 Q4 deliveries were LR/P, and a 7% price cut would typically grow sales something like 30%. But December quadrupled vs. September, and September was the best month of the first 11. So the price cut contributed, but there was a lot more going on than just that.

Hi everybody. Does anyone know why Model 3 deliveries in Norway and the Netherlands were very high in Q4 2020? I'm trying to guess whether Q1 2021 will be similar to Q4 2020 or Q3 2020.

Mt5YbTx.png

View attachment 675627

I wonder what the ratio between the Model 3 SR+, LR, and Performance?
I am guessing (?) that the SR+ represents may be 50% of the sales.

I am surprised about the VW ID.3 getting the last position? This is certainly the most 'modern' EV after the Model 3.
I wonder if there was a supply issue or VW is not popular anymore, the VW Golf was the number one car sold in Europe for many years.

OK everyone, given that EV Sales blogspot is closing down, has anyone any good suggestions for where we can follow global sales data ?

I really don't want to be cynical, but I have to ask if whether Jose Pontes is closing down his EV Sales blog but continuing with EV Volumes as a $$ product ( EV-Volumes - The Electric Vehicle World Sales Database ) or is that also going to be closing ?

Are there other reliable sources of data that can be consistently accessed to judge Tesla's global performance in a quantitative comparative manner at monthly, quarterly, annual interval ?

Is this the thread to track the quarterly sales number from Europe as they come in. I thought there was one, but not sure if this is it.

From Tesla Registration Stats it looks like the Norway numbers are pretty much done. Only 15 deliveries today after 164 and 108 the last 2 days.

Norway Q2 3683 - Q1 2635

From Electric Vehicle registrations in Europe: 11 countries, 80+% of BEV market believe this is a couple days behind for Netherlands and Spain.

Netherlands Q2 502 - Q1 392
Spain Q2 820 - Q1 497

Is this the thread to track the quarterly sales number from Europe as they come in. I thought there was one, but not sure if this is it.

From Tesla Registration Stats it looks like the Norway numbers are pretty much done. Only 15 deliveries today after 164 and 108 the last 2 days.

Norway Q2 3683 - Q1 2635

From Electric Vehicle registrations in Europe: 11 countries, 80+% of BEV market believe this is a couple days behind for Netherlands and Spain.

Netherlands Q2 502 - Q1 392
Spain Q2 820 - Q1 497
They track the numbers here. Sometimes there's a little discussion, but it's mostly "just the facts, ma'am".