Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some interesting news, Tesla might already be looking for a European factory?

http://spectator.sme.sk/articles/view/55382/3/slovakia_in_talks_with_tesla_motors.html

I dont see how that would make any sense.

China should get the second factory.

reason:
1. The TTSIP inter Atlantic trade agreement will have free trade, so Tesla can just ship the Models from US to Europe.
2. China is the biggest market for Tesla outside of US, and its close to all the other soutasian markets. HK, Japan, Australia,
3. China offers huge incentives for manufacturers who produce in China.

But maybe I'm wrong and it makes more sense to build the second factory in Europe, with all the small eastern European countries, Tesla can use this competition to get the best incentives.
Same story as with the Gigafactory.

Slovakia largest car producer in the world | Visit Slovakia

really seems to be a good option for Tesla

That would be very disappointing for me. If China gets the second factory, then I will never buy a Tesla car, as Chinese factory is likely to cover Australian market. I will stick with my oil guzzling BMW. :crying:

If Tesla is shipped from China it has a 5% import duty plus 51% profits are shared with local partner.

If Tesla is shipped from California there is 0% import duty thanks to the Australia United States Free Trade Agreement and Tesla keeps 100% of the profits.

I would wager Australia never sees Chinese Teslas even if they eliminate the 5% import duty.

Same hold true for Japan.

Chinese companies Cherry BYD Great Wall etc exporting to Japan and Australia from China makes sense.

Japanese/Korean/American companies forced to take on local partners then using China as a platform to export makes little sense.

Are the Germans(BMW MB Audi Porsche) exporting to Australia from China?

Last edited:
Lease of Tesla was ruled out due to Tesla being classed 'luxury car'. Such rule sits with my employer. It might be difficult for a business to justify leasing luxury cars for its employees. Most people that lease a car through their employer choose some sort of SUV. Leasing SUVs is easier to justify to ATO. Translation: ATO=IRA

I am hoping that Tesla will make a car without 'luxury' badge, and that the car comes from US.

Part of the issue might be that Tesla does not give discounts to leasing companies nor offers deep discounted leases to businesses that lease large volumes.

From what I have seen, US manufacturing competitiveness is on a steep rise. I buy a lot of equipment from all around the world. Some years ago, the equipment used to come from European countries, mainly Germany, Italy, Sweden, UK. Last several years most purchases are from the US. It is simply the most competitive.

Cheap electricity rates resulting from the American natural gas boom plus the weakening power of American Unions have lost the power to push wages up. Michigan,which was the heart of American Union power, is now a right-to-work state.

The effect of 'Made in China' on Tesla brand may be irreparable. Quality and safety are the cornerstones of the brand, and these two are at risk if cars are made in China.

Like the German auto companies, Chinese made cars will be for Chinese customers only.

German brand cars made in China for local Chinese customers has not resulted in damage to German brands globally.

My guess is that the ultra-wealthy Chinese will continue to have a bias against Chinese made cars as well and be willing to pay the import duties to buy an American made Tesla.

Part of the issue might be that Tesla does not give discounts to leasing companies nor offers deep discounted leases to businesses that lease large volumes.

Cheap electricity rates resulting from the American natural gas boom plus the weakening power of American Unions have lost the power to push wages up. Michigan,which was the heart of American Union power, is now a right-to-work state.

Like the German auto companies, Chinese made cars will be for Chinese customers only.

German brand cars made in China for local Chinese customers has not resulted in damage to German brands globally.

My guess is that the ultra-wealthy Chinese will continue to have a bias against Chinese made cars as well and be willing to pay the import duties to buy an American made Tesla.
Seems like this back and forth about Australia and incentives is a bit misplaced in the EU thread. Can mods start an Australia thread so this 2 way conversation doesn't take over the EU space?

The source for the German numbers could be near this one:

Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt - 2014

At the moment the newest monthly statistics is August. Following the monthly link the .pdf with "Neuzulassungen von Personenkraftwagen im August 2014 nach Marken und Modellreihen" are the new registered cars in that month. They are sorted according Brand and Models. If the 56 are true, i'm glad that the number is at least higher than the 32 (peak situation), which i proclaimed in an earlier post 420 (Link: #420) for the Stuttgart region.

euri.JPG

Here is what I have for Europe so far. Unfortunately, the sales this quarter are going to have a huge unknown since they will theoretically be mostly China/US.

Here in Norway, if you're thinking of the D, the P85D is expected to arrive in Fabruary, and the 60D/85D is expected to arrive in April. The regular S60/S85 have a 4-5 month delivery time and the P85 have a prioritized 4 month delivery time. This is all according to the website.

There's also a speadsheet being maintained on the EV forum here. Here's some of the most recent orders with the date confirmed and the date delivered:

S85, confirmed 2014-05-19, delivered 2014-10-08
P85+, confirmed 2014-06-23, delivered 2014-09-30
S85, confirmed 2014-05-30, delivered 2014-09-30
S85, confirmed 2014-05-16, delivered 2014-09-30
S85, confirmed 2014-05-16, delivered 2014-09-12

The estimates on the website seem fairly accurate.

Last edited:
I believe UK is too high, Q3, there was 480 cars sold by non-british manufacturers from group of "Others" which includes Tesla, this group also includes Ferrari and Lamborghini, which sold ca. 100 cars a Month last year, so there are roughly ca. 200 left ex these 2, there are probobly some others cars like TATA imports or some exotic cars, so tesla is most likely 120-150 not 255 from your calculation.