Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European CCS Plug has no Fast DC plugs cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that the European Model 3 CCS plug dont have a cover for the DC plugs so they get exposed while doing L2 charging.

I wonder if this could be an issue if there is some water or snow inside when going to a CCS Supercharger?

M3noCover.jpg

Accessory vendors have already addressed this. Example: Model 3 CCS charge port cover
Thank you for your reply, I didn't noticed this previous thread and possible third parties solution.

My point was to understant the approach made by Tesla, assuming that Tesla was aware of this issue:

1. May be Tesla want to simplify everything to save cost.

2. May be Tesla is considering installing some robots to insert a plug, and didn't want to have an extra step or actuator to remove the cover?

May be it's just me, but I was surprised that the Renault Zoe, whose cost is about half
of the price of the Model 3, seems to have a better plug design?

Last edited:
May be it's just me, but I was surprised that the Renault Zoe, whose cost is about half
of the price of the Model 3, seems to have a better plug design?
Thre Zoe and other cars probably use a third party plug assembly while Tesla, being the mavericks of design they are, and needing to support Supercharging using only the upper connector, have designed their own. Obviously, the standard cover wouldn't work with their design and they decided to forego one.

Obviously, the standard cover wouldn't work with their design and they decided to forego one.
... and wait until someone start to complain for not be able to recharge because the plug was blocked by ice,
full of water or snow, or the plug was corroded.

Or worse to have Consumer Report discrediting Tesla for for possible electrical hazard concern
and E.M. immedatly sending a recall tweet.

Honestly, what to do (safely) if you notice that there is some water, snow, ice, or dust inside the DC plug?

May be you should carry a portable hair dryer and some Q-tips?

Last edited:
... and wait until someone start to complain for not be able to recharge because the plug was blocked by ice,
full of water or snow, or the plug was corroded.

Or worse to have Consumer Report discrediting Tesla for for possible electrical hazard concern
and E.M. immedatly sending a recall tweet.

Honestly, what to do (safely) if you notice that there is some water, snow, ice, or dust inside the DC plug?

May be you should carry a portable hair dryer and some Q-tips?
It's highly likely that the charge port has drainage holes. Not to mention that those pins are not active unless several checks are made.