Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Comparison: Tesla Model 3 Versus Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The average american drives about 30 miles, total, per day.

So there's tons of folks buying an EV who will never need any sort of charger better than L2.

I agree the capability is important to SOME drivers... but to many it's no difference at all.

They should get a Gen 1 Nissan Leaf, then - except nobody bought those but nerds and people who could get insane rebates.

Range anxiety is real and the two best ways to combat it are big batteries are highly available DCFC. Tesla absolutely crushes this in non coastal states, it's honestly extremely embarrassing for EA/EVgo.

Seriously, I would have absolutely bought a Bolt if I could charge it at Superchargers. It's that important. There's no effective difference between a 2012 Leaf and 2019 Bolt besides some better infotainment/driver safety features for me, because both are city-only cars that can't take road trips.

There's no effective difference between a 2012 Leaf and 2019 Bolt besides some better infotainment/driver safety features for me, because both are city-only cars that can't take road trips.
This definitely depends on specifics of your situation. I have distances far enough that the Leaf just wasn't going to cut it until Gen 2. Which was late 2017, by then the Bolt was out and had leapfrogged them by about 85 miles range. Even when the Gen 2 could meet commute demands, for me this 85 miles was HUGE. It means going out all day instead of 1 of 2 trips for the day. And my Bolt has seen more "highway" than not. Including true out there in the rural TX, between cities 'wilderness'. It's just that it has to be "local" inter-city, and I [effectively] never charge anywhere but my garage.

Plus my local climate isn't friendly for poor thermal management. ;)

Even after we got the Model 3, it's still seeing as much 60+mph road as below 60mph. Of course I generally don't drive it over 60mph unless the traffic is heavy enough that I'm becoming a hazard to do so. Still it is a highway capable vehicle in a measure that the Leaf isn't, and most certainly wasn't close to being in Gen 1.

That may not be applicable for the OP, though? Also their location (as defined by their account details) has a number of old-school CCS options, and ChaDEMO. Being mid-East Coast they can get a ways...and EA is slowly coming. Their up and running station count is paltry but here in TX at least we're seeing enough pre-construction and construction activity to suggest that they aren't that far behind hitting their 2019 milestones on schedule. CCS vehicles could be approaching 2016 Tesla equivalent fast charging option by 2020 (although 2017-2018 Bolts are slower DC charging than Teslas of that era, even in mile per hour charged for efficiency at highway speeds). Plus the proliferation of L2 is some support in the background for this.

Last edited:
I wrote a $37k'ish check for a $44k'ish MSRPd 2018 Bolt Premiere....can I "essentially" do the same for any brand new Tesla Model 3?

The two cars are not even in the same class.

Price is what you pay. Value is what you get. You paid 37kish and you got a car that is good value for driving in town and a horrible value for a road trips.

It’s like the comparisons between an iPace and a Model X. Even if the iPace is cheaper and slightly faster, their utility is worlds apart.

This is the sort of thread we get when Elon has no interesting tweets.
ROFL

I just removed him from my Follow list today after his string of tweets because:
hobbz6.jpg

....and if for the given vehicle you don't give a damn about the later you've just procured a "good value"....

Well if I had no working taste pallet I might as well get a double stack of garden burgers instead of the 3x3 animal style In N Out burger.

I can argue the Bolt is cheaper than the 3. That’s all I will give it.

If you base purchasing decisions entirely on being cheap, might as well get a Leaf. Current gen or gen 1 for a third of the price.

Just because it’s an ev and there aren’t that many to compare. It’s like if the role ever reverse and ICe cars where limited manufacturers. It’s comparing BMW to a Toyota. Bad comparison. One is fun to drive and looks freakin bad a$$ (Tesla) and one looks like crap (volt).

I'm still not fully convinced GM is onboard with the EV market yet.

It's really sad. Like a split personality, frozen by indecisiveness. They landed a sub-$40K with >200mi range before anyone, by a lot. They even distributed it outside of CARB states in the US, so it's not a "compliance" vehicle in that sense. But didn't really believe in it or didn't really want to to succeed or something. :/ Plus haven't figured out yet how to build it where they can sell at break even, much less turn a profit.

I'm convinced it was someone inside GM that ran their semi-secret skunkworks project through GM DAT, where the design was done, to avoid opposition forces in GM HQ.
What's the crash worthiness of a Bolt anyway? We know the 3 is very good.

Safety has always been in top 3, maybe top 2 criteria for any car we've ever got since the kids came along.

Top tier. It's not "everything is 5 stars", Tesla stands alone in engineering the hell out of their vehicles like that, but it's a strong 5's and 4's.

2018 CHEVROLET BOLT

Last edited:
Well if I had no working taste pallet I might as well get a double stack of garden burgers instead of the 3x3 animal style In N Out burger.

I can argue the Bolt is cheaper than the 3. That’s all I will give it.

If you base purchasing decisions entirely on being cheap, might as well get a Leaf. Current gen or gen 1 for a third of the price.

Bolts are more reliable than Model 3s.