Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV-CPO.com CPO Consolidator support thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Canada they seem to be
Ludicrous Performance
Model S P100D 5YJSA1E48KF300364 | Tesla Canada

Performance
Model S P100D 5YJSA1E41KF308208 | Tesla Canada

and the 100D as Long Range
Model S 100D 5YJSA1E24JF289618 | Tesla Canada

And yes, that's how they're being displayed in the US as well. But doing this thing for 4+ years now I've learned that Tesla changes their mind and data format/structure frequently (often on the whim of a Elon Musk tweet). Like I said, I'm going to wait a bit until the data stream settles on a format and structure for the new naming convention.

And you just can't resist throwing out this "other sites" thing on every single post you make. But as far as I can tell, all but one of them are still listing cars as 100D/P100D, etc and two of them aren't even working right now (which is fairly common). And the one site that does list cars with the new naming convention also has data problems. What trim is "NA" and "NA RWD"??

upload_2019-4-2_7-57-9.png

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
And yes, that's how they're being displayed in the US as well. But doing this thing for 4+ years now I've learned that Tesla changes their mind and data format/structure frequently (often on the whim of a Elon Musk tweet). Like I said, I'm going to wait a bit until the data stream settles on a format and structure for the new naming convention.

And you just can't resist throwing out this "other sites" thing on every single post you make. But as far as I can tell, all but one of them are still listing cars as 100D/P100D, etc and two of them aren't even working right now (which is fairly common). And the one site that does list cars with the new naming convention also has data problems. What trim is "NA" and "NA RWD"??

View attachment 392753
I didn't name the other sites out of courtesy to you on this one, but to answer your question from what I can tell the NA applies to cars from 3rd party listings as the site I think you picture includes as much of the market as they possibly can to make finding a car a one stop resource, something you don't try to do (its why the one site has 5000 cars listed for sale across a mix of channels against your 1000) for the US market, and looking at those cars with NA. the actual adverts don't specify the car model, so just like you frequently comment that you can only report what Tesla tell you, I imagine they can only report what the other adverts tells them.

I’ve noticed a new problem in the last week viewing the site on my iPad. The banner ads at the top of the page cycle pretty frequently and the page will move up slightly when the old ad disappears and the new ad loads, then move down when the new ad appears. This results in the page nearly constantly moving up and down (in both landscape and portrait) every few seconds, and makes it hard to keep track of the cars, and very hard to tap on small icons. Almost breaks the site. The problem doesn’t happen on my MacBook Pro, but I do almost everything on my iPad.

I ran a little test to see what Rouge was talking about. It's very noticeable on my iPad Pro 13" while in portrait, and to a lesser extent happens while in landscape. Clicking the red button Hank mentions doesn't fix the issue.

Took a video to show:

Wow - what a great website! Going to be a huge help as I transition to more active searching for a Tesla. (Still a few months before I'll be ready to execute a purchase.) Question - do you have enough data to say what a given feature tends to go for? (For example, my couple days' of browsing seems to indicate about $500-per-thousand-miles difference in price.) How much does the premium audio add? How much does the cold weather package add? Etc. Might be interesting to have a chart that shows the various options and how much that option is worth. Might also be a lot of gonkulating, I dunno. Just curious. Thank you! :)

Hard to compare apples to apples re: option pricing and mileage pricing because the used system uses a Dutch auction model, where the prices incrementally decrease (and sometimes temporarily go back up on their way down) until someone buys the car (you can see a graph of the price history on EV-CPO, which typically resembles a zigzag downward-sloped line). So it really depends on how long a car has been listed, along with various unknown factors (possibly including how many page views or photo requests a particular car has, which some forum members believe may drive the price up again temporarily). Some cars with relatively few options have sold earlier in the process, which means they have gone for relatively higher prices. I guess the real question would be how does Tesla pick the starting price for the auction, which to me seems to have no rhyme or reason except that the first price is very high.

• Informative
Very helpful reply, thanks again! I found a different website that shows all the changes through the years, but not all the changes have model years next to them, which would be helpful for trying to suss out options. For example, I am aware that I can't get a 2017 with third row seating (factory), but what else could I accidentally select that would forever give me a null return because that combination doesn't exist period...?

Hard to compare apples to apples re: option pricing and mileage pricing because the used system uses a Dutch auction model, where the prices incrementally decrease (and sometimes temporarily go back up on their way down) until someone buys the car (you can see a graph of the price history on EV-CPO, which typically resembles a zigzag downward-sloped line). So it really depends on how long a car has been listed, along with various unknown factors (possibly including how many page views or photo requests a particular car has, which some forum members believe may drive the price up again temporarily). Some cars with relatively few options have sold earlier in the process, which means they have gone for relatively higher prices. I guess the real question would be how does Tesla pick the starting price for the auction, which to me seems to have no rhyme or reason except that the first price is very high.

Spot on, here. There are just too many variables to tease out what individual options are worth. The big ones are obviously model year (more on that below), battery size (i.e. range), dual or single motor, performance or non-performance, and mileage, but to a much lesser extent than ICE vehicles. After those, any other option may or may not add value to the price of a car.

Very helpful reply, thanks again! I found a different website that shows all the changes through the years, but not all the changes have model years next to them, which would be helpful for trying to suss out options.

Tesla doesn't operate on a "Model Year" like all other car makers. Tesla rolls out new options, removes old ones, or changes others on a "as ready" basis, without regard to the model year. There are dozens examples of this for big changes throughout the years -- AP1, AP2, Model S Facelift, MCU1 vs. MCU2, etc. And it's not even by VIN order, since the cars are not manufactured in VIN order, so you can't say there's a VIN cutoff of most of these.. it's more like "If it was made by late March of 2017, it probably has this new feature" at which point someone will chime in and say their car made in May of 2017 doesn't have that feature. The only way to really tell is by physical inspection of a car, or getting the option code list to see what was included when the car was made, and even then, the option code lists aren't always accurate or include the necessary information. For instance, there's no option code to tell MCU1 cars from MCU2.

The bottom line is there's an entirely new paradigm here on how to buy a used car and you have to basically forget everything you've learned in the past. It takes a lot of time and research to understand what you want and how to find it. But we're here to help you. Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: Don TLR
Spot on, here. There are just too many variables to tease out what individual options are worth. The big ones are obviously model year (more on that below), battery size (i.e. range), dual or single motor, performance or non-performance, and mileage, but to a much lesser extent than ICE vehicles. After those, any other option may or may not add value to the price of a car.

Tesla doesn't operate on a "Model Year" like all other car makers. Tesla rolls out new options, removes old ones, or changes others on a "as ready" basis, without regard to the model year. There are dozens examples of this for big changes throughout the years -- AP1, AP2, Model S Facelift, MCU1 vs. MCU2, etc. And it's not even by VIN order, since the cars are not manufactured in VIN order, so you can't say there's a VIN cutoff of most of these.. it's more like "If it was made by late March of 2017, it probably has this new feature" at which point someone will chime in and say their car made in May of 2017 doesn't have that feature. The only way to really tell is by physical inspection of a car, or getting the option code list to see what was included when the car was made, and even then, the option code lists aren't always accurate or include the necessary information. For instance, there's no option code to tell MCU1 cars from MCU2.

The bottom line is there's an entirely new paradigm here on how to buy a used car and you have to basically forget everything you've learned in the past. It takes a lot of time and research to understand what you want and how to find it. But we're here to help you. Good luck!
Sure.. of course excellent points. Still, it'd be nice to know "Green was discontinued about 2014, so don't make a green 2017 mandatory." Or "AP HW2 was not available in 2013, so also not a valid search criteria." I'm not a programmer, but I'm reasonably certain it'd be non-trivial to have certain options disappear when a conflicting option is chosen... regardless of how convenient. ;) I'm looking for an 85D, probably. But sometimes I see a 90D for similar price... so I include that in my search. I was planning to disregard P altogether, but after calling my insurance company, the P models are strangely about $10/month *cheaper* for insurance. Bonkers. So I can sell that to my wife by saying "it'll pay for itself in insurance savings in just 18 years!!" :p

I'm not a programmer, but I'm reasonably certain it'd be non-trivial to have certain options disappear when a conflicting option is chosen... regardless of how convenient

The multi-dimensional matrix of those combinations of options and years would be phenomenally large and hard to create, much less manage, so something like you say is possible, but really not feasible.

BMW does it for their website when building a car, and as a user, I find it very frustrating, when options, features, and packages automatically change based on what I selected due to restrictions on certain combinations of options and colors. They've gotten better at explaining why the options are changed or forced on or forced off. But EV-CPO is not BMW. It's essentially a side-project where the time put into it dwarfs the few paid subscriptions it may generate.

• Helpful
My first post here & I primarily joined to say that EV-CPO was Amazing! This site with the advanced subscriber features took me from just looking and upset at reviewing all the Tesla web pages - reviewing many over and over dozens of times accidentally - to a Model S purchase this morning! Within 4 days I was able to feel confident about my decision to click BUY because I had reviewed the data on over 1000 models with my specific feature requirements - and I have the charts to prove my decision!

My wife was very picky wanting only specific combinations of colors or requests like light colored headliners if the seats were black, but multi-pattern black was different from nextGen black (frustrating for me, but I still love her)! ... Advanced Searches where there was no possible way to complete on the Tesla site. I created many saved configurations each with very specific combinations of options, exterior, interior, dash, headliner, and seat colors - very picky about the combinations, but trying to cast as large a net as possible! We even had different searches if the car was local vs. remote due to shipping costs! The email notifications were vital to finding the right car, tracking daily changes in prices, and jumping on the last price reduction - surely upsetting somebody else also waiting on a great car reaching the magic price point!

BTW – the EV-CPO data proves that all but the 85D or higher/newer models have experienced a consistent downward trend in pricing since Dec 2018 (at least for the 1000+ cars meeting my criteria)! However the average days listed trend is also falling, meaning the cars are selling faster than they were in Feb & March. It will be interesting to see what happens to the prices if we see 3rd gen Model S later this year! But for now, it feels great knowing that I beat the running average for cars with just the specific features I was interested in by over 2k! Amazing Data! I completely understand why others want full access, but the cost is very reasonable! The only report I wanted to run, but didn’t find the time before clicking buy was calculating the listed inventory per day by comparing the Date Added & Date Removed fields. I think that trend would be quite telling when compared against the average sold price.

Major time goes into creating the features in the Hunter and maintaining the site where others have dropped out due to Tesla making changes to prevent scrapers over time. I surely hope that EV-CPO continues to run for years to come! I bugged my Tesla sales agent enough that she recommended I subscribe to EV-CPO! Which is the reason I didn't hesitate to grab a paid subscription! That easily saved me 50x what I paid for my Telsa... now if they'd just hurry up and ship the thing already! :-D