Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Credit, TurboTax, & the IRS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your post made me look at my account. I put in my taxes around the same time. I actually got my rebate today and the full EV credit. So not a problem for everyone.

But definitely check your account. I certainly wouldn't miss $7,500.

Hope you get it sorted out.

EDIT: I normally go through the AMT part of Turbo Tax to be thorough, even though I don't get close to it. So it may have generated the form you were referencing. I'll check when I get home.

I filed using TurboTax on 2/17. I do not pay AMT and got my full refund on 2/26 including the $7,500 tax credit.

I am not subject to AMT. But I click the 3-4 buttons in Turbo Tax manually to go through the AMT section. It turns out that Turbo Tax submits the 6251 form when you do this. So I assume this is the correct way to use Turbo Tax if you want to get the Electric drive credit.

Shame they should force this if you go through the Electric drive credit steps.

I actually went through the AMT wizard and it didn't generate the 6251 form for me... Wondering why it does in some cases and not others. If I go and run through the AMT section right now it still won't generate the 6251, curious.
Same here. I tried to do it manually and it still won't generate the 6251. I even did it with customer service on the phone. Btw, I am using the online version of turbotax, not the retail disc version.

I am not subject to AMT. But I click the 3-4 buttons in Turbo Tax manually to go through the AMT section. It turns out that Turbo Tax submits the 6251 form when you do this. So I assume this is the correct way to use Turbo Tax if you want to get the Electric drive credit.

Shame they should force this if you go through the Electric drive credit steps.

I did all that in the online version and it did not create a 6251. different versions of turbotax might be doing this differently.

I'm on the phone with turbotax right now. The IRS hotline never allows you to get to a live human... stupid.

TurboTax representative said that from what she can see the online version WILL NOT submit a Form 6251 when you E-File without owing AMT. If you mail it in, it DOES print it out. There is nothing you can do to fix it in TurboTax if you E-File. All you can do is submit an amended return.

F>>>>>

Last edited:
Same here. I tried to do it manually and it still won't generate the 6251. I even did it with customer service on the phone. Btw, I am using the online version of turbotax, not the retail disc version.

I did all that in the online version and it did not create a 6251. different versions of turbotax might be doing this differently.

I used a TurboTax 'box copy' direct download from Amazon. TurboTax Deluxe Federal + State.

I went through the AMT wizard, even though it doesn't apply to me. I received my full rebate.

Last edited:
Is there any rhyme or reason here??? I downloaded mine directly from Intuit - Deluxe Federal & State.

It seems like the online version of Turbo Tax won't append your AMT calculation sheet, which is required to take the EV credit. If Turbo Tax is appending the AMT sheet (6251) then it appears you are fine. If Turbo Tax isn't attaching that form then you get docked the $7500, and get the hassle of fixing your return to get the EV credit.

Basically before you file, check to see that you are submitting Form 6251 (AMT). If you don't have that then get it before you file.

It seems like the online version of Turbo Tax won't append your AMT calculation sheet, which is required to take the EV credit. If Turbo Tax is appending the AMT sheet (6251) then it appears you are fine. If Turbo Tax isn't attaching that form then you get docked the $7500, and get the hassle of fixing your return to get the EV credit.

Basically before you file, check to see that you are submitting Form 6251 (AMT). If you don't have that then get it before you file.

also, the online version (according to the representative from TurboTax) will submit the 6251 as long as you do the "File by Mail" method. It just won't efile it... or at least that's what she said.

I also eventually found a method of clicking through the IRS phone system that got me to a live representative. He was more helpful than it was indicated by posts here. Basically, what he said is that the IRS will withhold any part of a refund that is missing forms. You'll receive notification of that fact and then all you do is submit the forms. Then you'll get the rest of the refund. He said it will take about 4 weeks to process (slightly longer than the original return). He said it isn't an amendment (which takes 6-8 weeks).

He said absolutely do not send in any paperwork at this time for me (since my paperwork is still processing). This had been the TurboTax representatives advice. He said that just mailing in the correct form will likely never get it to my files. He said mailing in the whole package again early is a "duplicate return", not a amended return, and that will take 8-12 weeks to sort out. He said the easiest thing to do is to just wait until I get my return. If it is missing that portion of the refund, then I should send in the correct forms at that time in response to their letter. They will then process the rest of my refund within 4 weeks.

He said not to do anything until I hear more. Perhaps I'll get the whole thing anyway.

There is one twist. I wasn't able to take the EVSE charging equipment refund (about $700 of credit). I wonder if they will process that now... that'll mix things up a bit.

Again, let me know if this is congruent with what those who have received an incomplete refund have seen. He said I should receive information with what to do to get the rest of the refund, and then it isn't an amendment, I just follow the directions provided. Then it should take less than 4 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any rhyme or reason here??? I downloaded mine directly from Intuit - Deluxe Federal & State.
hopefully it doesn't go by first name... cuz then I'm going to end up in the same boat as you!

- - - Updated - - -

Kraken,

I actually did talk to a live IRS agent (she was nice, as I mentioned in the 1st post) -- but I would suggest not wasting your time. They aren't trained on it and don't have people available to answer anything but the most basic of questions. It's a direct result of a lack of funding - and is making national news - Poor IRS customer service hurts taxpayers

I actually did get through. He was actually very helpful. Finding what buttons to click to get to a live person on the other hand was fricken ridiculous.

I filed online using TuboTax Deluxe on Feb 6 and received my full $7500 EV refund Feb 26 deposited directly to my bank account. I went through the AMT section and wasn't eligible. I looked through all of my forms and there was no AMT form included.

What I am going to do for now is just wait until I receive the IRS letter. Hopefully at that point all I have to do is mail in the AMT and I will receive the rest of my refund. I will update this post when I receive the letter and see what it says.

I filed online using TuboTax Deluxe on Feb 6 and received my full $7500 EV refund Feb 26 deposited directly to my bank account. I went through the AMT section and wasn't eligible. I looked through all of my forms and there was no AMT form included.
Awesome, hopefully it is just one dude with a hatred of evs who is being a stickler with the rules just to be a pain... And there are 100 others who are not noticing it. I'll let y'all know whether or not we were affected when I get my return.

I called Intuit and the representative I spoke with was nice, but not helpful. I got transferred to a tax expert, but I got hung up on and they never called back. So that was no help. After screwing around witht it for a while, I figured out how to force Turbo Tax Premier on the mac (non-web version) to include form 6251.
First go through the AMT questions and it will generate the form, it just won't include it since you owe $0 in AMT.
From the forms menu, use "Open a Form..." and type 6251
Choose Form 6251: Alternative Minimum Tax
At the bottom of the form, there's a checkbox that reads, "Check to file Form 6251, even if not required"
No matter how many times you press that box or yell at it, it won't do anything.
Click on the 0 on line 35 (the AMT you owe which should be 0 if you're hitting this problem)
Go to the Edit menu and select Override.
Override the value with 0
Now you can click the "Check to file Form 6251, even if not required" on the bottom and it works.
The woman I spoke with said you can't efile if you have any overrides, so click on the 0 on line 35
Go to the Edit menu and select Override again to turn it off.
Now (at least for me), form 6251 shows up on the list of forms and if I print a filing copy to pdf, I see form 6251 included. Hopefully, this means it will be included when e-filing.

advice from a twenty year tax CPA, always file Form 6251 even if not subject to AMT. It helps avoid a lot of questions. Most software packages omit if you are not subject. Force it to activate and then file. Additional advice, always file with paper forms until you are forced to file electronically. Why put more information into the IRS computer than necessary?

+1 to AustinEV's observation. I almost posted a heads up about this at the start of the year because we got the good ol' "we corrected a math error" notice in December for 2012 return on which we filed the 8936 for the Prius Plug-In $2,500. I called the IRS and said essentially "this is wrong", referenced the tax code, and they corrected it. I was thinking "oh man, I hope I don't have to go through this for 2013 for the $7,500". I just think you will find a lot of inconsistency on this. An internet search on the issue originally showed plenty of Volt and Leaf owners had also been confronted by this problem while many others had not.

I filed my taxes thru TurboTax online as well, and today I received my refund in full (the whole $7,500 EV credit included). I didn't complete the AMT form. I admit I was concerned after reading this thread, but fortunately there was no issue!

I got a letter from the IRS saying my rebate was being held up and could not be direct deposited because they needed to do some "additional processing". No notice of what the additional processing was. I've never had this happen in the past, and my taxes are fairly cut and dry.

my thoughts are:

they deducted the ev rebate and hopefully are providing additional instructions how to get it back

or

they deducted the ev rebate and gave me the ev charger rebate and then I'll have to get what else I am eligible for of the ev rebate

or

they processed my stuff and did a check to see if I qualified for AMT. when I didn't, they filled out the form and processed the rebate as it should have been all all along.

Fingers are crossed for option number 3. If it is any of the other options, it is really going to delay things. They are saying 3-4 weeks to get the hard copy of the check. Then if I do need to correct it, it will be another 3-4 weeks, at least.

I was planning on using this rebate in the process of purchasing another house, so all of these delays add up in a bad way.

I am going to have a pretty big beef with turbotax if this really is all screwed up and takes a while to fix.