Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to model y user manual on website which says for version 2021.44. And still has old display pre update? So I touched on the usb audio app and is now on bar at bottom of screen which is good. Did same for toy box to see but now want to get rid of it, How do I remove it?

Just think, this is what they came up with after delaying last year's release by a full year. They added a complete extra year of development time, and this was what they dropped on us.
we heard 'they will let us customize things, dont worry'. and then a year went by. and this is what we get?

there must be more, later, right? this isn't customization. letting the user control more of the layout and noise would be worth the year wait.

and as many know, you dont just move UI guys to FSD groups or other radical changes. in fact, I'd be scared to drive a car that had GUI guys anywhere near the safety systems or the drive systems.

so its not a resource issue. the ui guys are ui guys and any corp focus on fsd wont take ui guys away from their tasks.

maybe they tried a bunch of things during last year and none of them worked. and this was the only working subset they could dare release?

at any rate, color me highly unimpressed. either their people are not great or their system is so rigid, this was the best they could do.

Yes I cannot even open the garage door without stopping the vehicle, because pressing the homelink button disables the backup cameras by overlaying a controls window over the screen. How do I go back to the pervious version?
A new Homelink button should be on the bottom left of the screen under the car visualization. Do not have to use the green one on the top bar.

Reactions: Big Earl and Darmie
we heard 'they will let us customize things, dont worry'. and then a year went by. and this is what we get?

They did promise this, and when last year's holiday release came, people absolutely panned it mercilessly. Elon gave his infamous "🔥🔥" tweet to describe what was coming. Then when his Twitter friends asked what the heck was so great, he said all we got was "🔥" and that Tesla would need to redesign. We got half of the update from last year, basically, and the second half came this year. This was the other "🔥".

Making matters even worse, it's not just a pure copy from the Plaid S, because several features that work there do not exist in the 3/Y. For example, pressing the wiper button, then scrolling the wheel to adjust manual speed modes. But this is sort of what they've done every year. They make some features harder to use, or worse, or just remove them, people complain, Tesla does nothing about it and releases an even worse update the following year.

there must be more, later, right?

Sure. Mid-year we'll probably get more breaking changes, firmware bugs, and a promise of an amazing winter release. Which features do you think they're going to remove or bury deeper? I, for one, expect the TeslaCam clip save button to just be removed completely. They've already made it worse twice, so next stop is taking it away.

the ui guys are ui guys and any corp focus on fsd wont take ui guys away from their tasks.

Don't be too sure about that. They've had business people down on the factory floor in the past, so I see no reason they wouldn't assume someone writing C++ for QT UI widgets wouldn't be able to write C++ for driving controls.

either their people are not great or their system is so rigid, this was the best they could do.

The system they use is QT on top of Linux, so it's certainly not a problem of rigidity. And I'm sure there's got to be some very talented people over there writing software. My honest opinion is that this is a Design By Elon issue, just like the "auto" wipers that lack manual speed controls and a rain sensor.

I haven't been here much for most of this year, but I'm making a special return appearance to tell you everything I don't like about V11. I'm sure I'll forget some things, so it'll probably take a few posts. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tesla should be paying me as a consultant on their UI's before they release the updates. I'll tell them what they are doing wrong.

I downloaded V11 this morning (Merry Christmas!) and took one short drive and I already see numerous problems.

The TL;DR version - everything is either ok or needs to be put back how it was. I didn't see one single thing that I thought was an improvement.

One thing we've never had that we need is the ability to set the default headlight setting to OFF. For 3-1/2 years I've been getting in my 3, entering PIN to drive, opening Controls, and turning the lights off manually. I'm a big boy, I can decide for myself when the headlights need to be on.

The mileage / power and trip meters were removed from the bottom left and put in the Controls screen. Why? And then they removed the tenths digit from the trip meters! Now how am I supposed to know when I've driven a mile AND A HALF? Nice double fail, Tesla! Can't even swipe sideways in the bottom left of the screen to bring them up like they've been since I bought my car in May 2018!

Heater controls are different. Not really good or bad, but they didn't need improved.

That "customize" X at the center of the bottom edge -- there is NOT ONE THING in the available icons that I ever use. So it is useless to me. I play no games in the car, or caraoke, or web surf while driving. And I'm alone in my car 99.9% of the time, so no need to entertain passengers. Put the battery icon there, not just the energy graph which I almost never use. Put the trip mileage meters there.

The battery / charge icon opens into the Controls screen to show the battery now, instead of the old dedicated battery screen. That was a change we didn't need.

Turning the streaming channels off, like AP news or Comedy stations or whatever - I used to just tap the Phone icon next to the Streaming icon. Can't do that anymore.

I'll think of more the next time I drive somewhere later today. So far I see V11 as one big bad idea.

We should have the option to select which version of the UI we want. I jumped from 10.2 to 11.fail . There's more than enough memory in computers these days to store the different versions.
Timk225 speaks for me too!

Let me repeat the common responses I've received and/or read over the years:
  • You just hate change
  • You are shorting the stock
  • Elon knows best
  • You should be grateful for over-the-air updates and not complain
  • Go drive a Camry instead
  • It's still the best car out there, so hush
  • Let's see you do better
  • It's better than an X
  • You'll grow to love it
You left off

• Oh, you are an android user; if you used iOS, you'd understand
This was in response to my complaint many moons ago they took away the front passenger access to voice command (which now is even more a loss since I have great difficulty using my left hand to use the screen in a moving vehicle). The person telling me I was wrong to feel the way I did, said if I lived with cell phone updates, I could live with this. To which I replied, when Android changed and I didn't like it, I installed my old launcher and was happy again. That led to his epiphany I didn't have the right mindset (i.e. cult-like devotion to Elon and his vision having been schooled after a decade of cult-like devotion to Steve Jobs and his vision) to own a Tesla because I use an Android phone.

Let me repeat the common responses I've received and/or read over the years:
  • You just hate change
  • You are shorting the stock
  • Elon knows best
  • You should be grateful for over-the-air updates and not complain
  • Go drive a Camry instead
  • It's still the best car out there, so hush
  • Let's see you do better
  • It's better than an X
  • You'll grow to love it
It sounds like the latest update is a real crap show, but in my opinion virtually every upgrade since I bought the car in 2015 has been a steady slide down hill.
All I can say is, get used to it. That's just how it goes.
Certainly isn't better than the X. I have a knob on the steering column for adjusting the wipers on my X :)

Reactions: ContrarianDC
Agree - V11 was a total downgrade. Updated it this morning and had to make some Xmas drop offs during the rain in SoCal… nothing is intuitive anymore. Why are the windshield wipers buried in the Control menu with tiny icons that are impossible to click on while trying to drive in the rain? Why are the front seat warmer icons also equally buried in the now crappier HVAC controls? Why do the interior schematic of the seats only allow you to turn on the rear seat warmers?

This is a total crap show. Gimme back my old version!
It’s crazy that this is what they came up with for us. I’d like the old version back as well. Let me easily find some controls. I don’t need to find my music that easily. I’d prefer to find the important stuff on the screen

Reactions: Boza and _Redshift_
I haven't been here much for most of this year, but I'm making a special return appearance to tell you everything I don't like about V11. I'm sure I'll forget some things, so it'll probably take a few posts. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tesla should be paying me as a consultant on their UI's before they release the updates. I'll tell them what they are doing wrong.

I downloaded V11 this morning (Merry Christmas!) and took one short drive and I already see numerous problems.

The TL;DR version - everything is either ok or needs to be put back how it was. I didn't see one single thing that I thought was an improvement.

One thing we've never had that we need is the ability to set the default headlight setting to OFF. For 3-1/2 years I've been getting in my 3, entering PIN to drive, opening Controls, and turning the lights off manually. I'm a big boy, I can decide for myself when the headlights need to be on.

The mileage / power and trip meters were removed from the bottom left and put in the Controls screen. Why? And then they removed the tenths digit from the trip meters! Now how am I supposed to know when I've driven a mile AND A HALF? Nice double fail, Tesla! Can't even swipe sideways in the bottom left of the screen to bring them up like they've been since I bought my car in May 2018!

Heater controls are different. Not really good or bad, but they didn't need improved.

That "customize" X at the center of the bottom edge -- there is NOT ONE THING in the available icons that I ever use. So it is useless to me. I play no games in the car, or caraoke, or web surf while driving. And I'm alone in my car 99.9% of the time, so no need to entertain passengers. Put the battery icon there, not just the energy graph which I almost never use. Put the trip mileage meters there.

The battery / charge icon opens into the Controls screen to show the battery now, instead of the old dedicated battery screen. That was a change we didn't need.

Turning the streaming channels off, like AP news or Comedy stations or whatever - I used to just tap the Phone icon next to the Streaming icon. Can't do that anymore.

I'll think of more the next time I drive somewhere later today. So far I see V11 as one big bad idea.

We should have the option to select which version of the UI we want. I jumped from 10.2 to 11.fail . There's more than enough memory in computers these days to store the different versions.
What happened to text messages showing up in a box? how do I even know if I get a text message now?

Reactions: QUBO
What happened to text messages showing up in a box? how do I even know if I get a text message now?
I tested this out yesterday.....two basic options from what I can see:

Option 1.....upon receipt, text message shows up in a box like before, it's smaller and in lower left corner where notifications all seem to hit. The text is also read over the speakers like before.
Option 2....once a text string is started, you can use the text icon, and this pulls up all your text history with whomever you're texting with, more like what's on your phone. It also shows multiple text companions on the left side of the window.

From what I've observed, it appears to be better than before, but I may get criticized for pointing that out. :) You can still control or create the texts also with verbal commands.

Reactions: Ohmster
I have to concur, owned 2 tesla cars for over 3 years, 72 updates in the MX, this is clearly the largest failure of an update I have seen. Really am struggling with coming up with one improvement, well guess the repeater camera when turning is good and at least it comes with the option to enable/disable. Get us back to the previous version pronto please

A new Homelink button should be on the bottom left of the screen under the car visualization. Do not have to use the green one on the top bar.
But what if you’re in reverse and the cameras are up? Does the home link button show on top of the backup cameras? I drive into my garage, so I hadn’t noticed this issue. I think the OP is in reverse and all the homelink buttons are covered up?

That’s my understanding, I’ll have to try it.

But what if you’re in reverse and the cameras are up? Does the home link button show on top of the backup cameras? I drive into my garage, so I hadn’t noticed this issue. I think the OP is in reverse and all the homelink buttons are covered up?

That’s my understanding, I’ll have to try it.

Nope. If you press the green button icon now, you get the main menu popped up and covering the camera display. You do get a homelink toast in the bottom left area, but if that's no present you're going to need to bring up the main menu, press the homelink button, then choose the door you want to open. No more transparent overlay like it used to be.

Reactions: Zhe Wiz
Here is my take...I agree with many this in many critical ways is a step backwards:

1) Controls should be customizable on the bottom, just like Apps are. You should be able to place front/rear defrost, heated seat control, etc, on the bottom row. Removing them to a secondary menu when there is ample space available is no good.
2) Removal of the "cards" is another step backwards. If anything card functionality should have been expanded. Trip statistics and tire pressure now is hidden in a secondary menu. If you want to view this you lose access to the map. Big fail in my opinion. Cards need to be brought back or at least the Trip information needs to be placed on the left side and visible while driving. This affects anyone taking a longer trip who likes to monitor their efficiency, see how far they have traveled, etc. Big loss of functionality and I am really upset at this.
3) Smaller fonts and icons....does Tesla not listen? Many people have been asking for LARGER fonts for years. At least the option to change font sizes. I don't like the smaller autopilot icon - too small. The GUI should be font-sensitive. Looks like it is not. Bad coding. They would need to re-write the entire GUI to support this most likely, which is probably why they haven't done it.
4) Placement of the blind spot camera is not optimal and sort of looks like a hack. I have found myself looking DOWN at that image and not in my mirrors or over my shoulder as I should. Still thinking about this one but I think placing it at the TOP of the screen would have been better. It would be closer to being in-line with your sight. Also it is not fast enough sometimes to display. It's like a 1/2 second or 1/4 of a second too slow to come up. It seems to be a tiny bit variable. Anyway a light in the mirror is still better. Most cars have this now and Tesla should bite the bullet and put a blind spot indicator light in the mirror.
5) Fan adjustment is just a slider. There should be + and - icons on either side of the slider. I find myself jabbing at the circle to try to raise or lower the fan while driving, especially if you have to reach a bit (eg. your arms aren't super long or your seating position is further back). + and - icons would be easier to press. And more accurate.
6) They took away the minutes/seconds display of a song (in streaming anyway). First thing my autistic son mentioned to me. He also said everything looks smaller. Also I don't really like the switch to two-row and thus smaller album art. Yes I know you can swipe up to get bigger art. Still. I liked it better before with the larger album art icons all the time.
7) Many of the screens don't have an X to close it. You have to swipe down or press the car button for them to go away. But it's not consistent. Anyway there is space for the X so why take it away?
8) Current driver profile is now missing from the top of the screen. I liked to know what profile I'm in and be quickly able to change it. The car does not always get it right so I have to manually switch it sometimes, especially when leaving my house - if my wife's phone is still within bluetooth range it will think it is her even when I sit down in the car to drive away with my phone.

I am sure there are other things I will find, but overall I am not happy about this update. I get a feeling Tesla doesn't listen to customers or actually think about functionality needed while driving, especially for those in colder climates where quick access to heated seat control, defrost control, and efficiency information are very important.

The change in control locations don't annoy that much but what does annoy the F out of me is the wasted screen space at the bottom right of my S display.
PXL_20211228_042919199~2.jpg