Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
It didn’t for me
Interesting. They must have changed how this works, in that case. Recall when Tesla went through a phase of having server outages where people would try to fix it by logging out of the app, which would delete their phone key, and then due to the server outage they couldn’t log back in and were effectively locked out of their cars, if they didn’t have a key card with them. Maybe they’ve changed it to stop this precise issue from occurring.

So I’ve just followed the process and it appears to have worked fine. No issues, German Email but virtual key and even a smart schedule for later. I’ll charge it overnight and see how it goes.

iOS
Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max
Pod Point
MYLR (late 2022) 2024.2.8 currently

My IO charging is working fine still.
I haven’t updated anything yet.
I haven’t received any requests to update anything either.

What is all this talk of virtual keys ?

Is this some kind of update required that we all need to do? Or just specific to some cars/ people?

And if an update is required by when?

Is this some kind of update required that we all need to do? Or just specific to some cars/ people?

I got an email off Octopus and a warning in the app that I needed to update everything.

Is IO controlling you car or the charger?, We’ve linked our Zappi to IO rather than the MY and haven’t had to change anything, I suppose it makes sense as Octopus don’t need control of the car

Reactions: Lord Farquad
@Lord Farquad @Yuff @Obie @bainsy
I have android and I think I've found a way to fix it but you need access to a pc and/or just use the pic below.
Type the address into your PC or try scanning the QR code below, with your phone, I'm not sure if its specific to the vehicle. Providing you have the Tesla app open on the phone it should generate a virtual key and allow you past the blockage above. Manually start the car charging and then do a test charge.. the car should connect to the app.. I had to scan the QR code a second time before it worked for me.. Hopefully it will work for you.
Please let me know if it does?
Please see my "Help please" thread.
Thanks

View attachment 1031144
So this is getting really wierd.
My car is connected to Octopus. The app knows what SOC and charge rate and plans accordingly but it doesn't start or stop the charging. This is exactly what Octopus said would happen in their initial email. And why I did as they asked reset everything.

I’m the same, everything still working fine and no emails/warnings etc

Reactions: Pete UK
I'm having trouble with failed IO sessions since the last software upgrade to my M3, although this might be a coincidence. The car has failed to charge the last two nights despite getting sessions in the Octopus App. The car is registered with Octopus. Also after a failed charge the Tesla app will not remotely connect to the car via wifi.

I'm having trouble with failed IO sessions since the last software upgrade to my M3, although this might be a coincidence. The car has failed to charge the last two nights despite getting sessions in the Octopus App. The car is registered with Octopus. Also after a failed charge the Tesla app will not remotely connect to the car via wifi.
Tesla app and octopus app is pretty glitchy at the moment.
The schedules aren’t updating in the app but octopus is controlling the charging on the Tesla.
I’ve just switched the charging off in the Tesla app multiple times, even though a schedule doesn’t show in the octopus app but would normally show a charging schedule at this time with the current settings.
The octopus app is still updating if the soc is too low, so they are connected.

Although the pull down refresh feature is back on the app but currently doesn’t seem to update any schedules, maybe the issue is linked to this update in the app

Last edited:
Io is still charging my car, but it’s not actually telling me what slots I’m getting.

If I stop the charging or adjust the charge limit, the app will still respond.

My home automation isn’t seeing
Tesla app and octopus app is pretty glitchy at the moment.
The schedules aren’t updating in the app but octopus is controlling the charging on the Tesla.
I’ve just switched the charging off in the Tesla app multiple times, even though a schedule doesn’t show in the octopus app but would normally show a charging schedule at this time with the current settings.
The octopus app is still updating if the soc is too low, so they are connected.

Although the pull down refresh feature is back on the app but currently doesn’t seem to update any schedules, maybe the issue is linked to this update in the app
Yes, I was finding the same last night. The Octopus app was controlling my charging, but not giving me any notifications or updating the app. i have Home Automation running, which can also see any added intelligent slots and that wasn't picking them up either. 50 mins later however the app did show the charging times and HA also picked up the intelligent slots.

So definitely something going on. It's just a bit nerve wracking as to what rate you're actually charging at.

Yes, I was finding the same last night. The Octopus app was controlling my charging, but not giving me any notifications or updating the app. i have Home Automation running, which can also see any added intelligent slots and that wasn't picking them up either. 50 mins later however the app did show the charging times and HA also picked up the intelligent slots.

So definitely something going on. It's just a bit nerve wracking as to what rate you're actually charging at.
Set the IO 'ready time' to 05.30 & unless you're going from a very low to a very high SOC, all slots should be after 23.30 meaning you can lay off the valium and get a nights' sleep.

Set the IO 'ready time' to 05.30 & unless you're going from a very low to a very high SOC, all slots should be after 23.30 meaning you can lay off the valium and get a nights' sleep.
I only have a granny charger so was plugging in earlier.

Funnily enough all of the notifications from last night have just come through to my phone!

edit, keep getting a server error when trying to upload a image.

Last edited:
IMG_7219.png

Took 15 hours to come through.

Problem solved. Yesterday afternoon I removed by M3 from the Octopus App and went through the onboarding process again. I also did a software reboot on the M3. The car received an IO schedule early evening and charged from 43% to 80% overnight. After registering the M3 with IO I received an email from Tesla in German. I did translate it but it was only about terms and conditions, personal data etc.

Problem solved. Yesterday afternoon I removed by M3 from the Octopus App and went through the onboarding process again. I also did a software reboot on the M3. The car received an IO schedule early evening and charged from 43% to 80% overnight. After registering the M3 with IO I received an email from Tesla in German. I did translate it but it was only about terms and conditions, personal data etc.
The car doesn't receive a schedule, that's purely within octopus which then issues the start and stop charging commands as per that schedule, which can and does change

Reactions: browellm
Just moved today from Go to Intelligent Go.
Anyone got experience/ knowledge if I need to email separately to get the Export moved from ‘Lite’ 8p/unit to ‘Export’ 15p/unit? Or will Octopus move me over to the higher rate now that I’m eligible?

(When we went from Flux to Go, it was automatic)