Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Plugged into a Tesla supercharger 4 hours from home, the charge was stopped by Octopus app I believe after a few minutes and Octopus app gave me a charge schedule for the night, has this happened to anyone else?
It's a small bug. Sometimes IO will create a schedule, then realise it isn't geocached to home and immediately delete the schedule (check your app to confirm). It's shouldn't stop your current charging session - certainly never has with one of mine.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Yes this happened recently to me on a couple of occasions.

I think you need to turn IO to off when you are about to charge elsewhere. Not a problem if charging elsewhere is just occasional, but again something that you need to remember! I was thinking geolocation is in play for IO but it seems that it is not!
It's happened to me as well. Octopus are investigating, It would help them if you email them with where and when it happened.

It doesn't always stop charging. Sometimes it just gives me a schedule.

It's happened to me as well. Octopus are investigating, It would help them if you email them with where and when it happened.

Thanks, I'll email them.

Once it created a schedule (only) and once it created a schedule and stopped the charging.

The time that it created the schedule it was also at about 14.30, so it was not only out of location, it was out of the hours that it should create the schedule.

In the days of IO phantom drain I got so used to suspending smart charging as soon as I unplugged after a charge & re-enabling before the next IO session that I still do it even though it's unnecessary.

I suppose one advantage is that I never experience the frustrations posted here when charging somewhere else.

I’m very surprised IO would be interfering with DC charging. Can you provide any more information? Any errors in the car? Any notifications?

Well no I was just checking on the charge from the app and it had stopped after 1kwh added, so turned the octopus smart charging completely off and it worked.

The thing is my previous charge was on a type 2 which was about 2 hours from home without and it was fine, so can’t even say it was due to last location charging.

As others have mentioned it’s a bug and octopus know about it, I think will just turn it off on the app for now until they refine their software more

Well no I was just checking on the charge from the app and it had stopped after 1kwh added, so turned the octopus smart charging completely off and it worked.

The thing is my previous charge was on a type 2 which was about 2 hours from home without and it was fine, so can’t even say it was due to last location charging.

As others have mentioned it’s a bug and octopus know about it, I think will just turn it off on the app for now until they refine their software more
Certainly something to bear in mind when I’m on a trip. Though, I’m genuinely still surprised IO can influence rapid charging.

I wonder why Tesla allow rapid charging to be controlled in that manner? I would say it’s not like you can restart a rapid charge, though in the case of SuCs you can, so…

Bizarre.

Certainly something to bear in mind when I’m on a trip. Though, I’m genuinely still surprised IO can influence rapid charging.

I wonder why Tesla allow rapid charging to be controlled in that manner? I would say it’s not like you can restart a rapid charge, though in the case of SuCs you can, so…

Bizarre.
It's just using the app's API
Kraken should read the location that comes in the streaming endpoint

The api allows to send the stop command so I suspect its works regardless of the type of charging :(

You can restart the charge but it wouldn't work through the app and had to go back to car and replug in.

The API seems to be the problem, as it should be possible to directly setup timed charging that are ignored by the car unless the car is at home, along with registing for an event when the car is plugged in at home.

(It should also be possible to configure if the car uses mains or battery when preheating etc.)

The API seems to be the problem, as it should be possible to directly setup timed charging that are ignored by the car unless the car is at home, along with registing for an event when the car is plugged in at home.

(It should also be possible to configure if the car uses mains or battery when preheating etc.)
No
A. that's nothing to do with the API, just a feature you want in the car
B. It's just poor design on octopus's part to not check current location Vs home location before issuing a stop command

Reactions: browellm
The api allows to send the stop command so I suspect its works regardless of the type of charging :(

You can restart the charge but it wouldn't work through the app and had to go back to car and replug in.
Indeed, I’m just surprised Tesla have set it up so the API can control rapid charging.

I’m also surprised you couldn’t restart the charging without unplugging/plugging back in. I know with 3rd party rapids you need to do it to re-authenticate the charge, however I know SuC charges can be restarted remotely, for example by upping the charge limit if the charge has stopped due to hitting the limit (a good way to avoid idle fees when you can’t make it back quick enough!).

A question for GO users, and potentially for IO users too.

We have this 4 or 6 hour window of cheap power.

What if you only want to charge your Powerwall for say 2 hours (ie set it in the Tesla App), but you want your car or other devices charging for say 4 hours. I believe that after the first 2 hours are up, the PW will discharge to charge the other devices instead of taking the power from the grid at the cheap rate.

If anyone thinks this is incorrect, please can you explain how it can be made to work. Thanks very much.

What if you only want to charge your Powerwall for say 2 hours (ie set it in the Tesla App), but you want your car or other devices charging for say 4 hours. I believe that after the first 2 hours are up, the PW will discharge to charge the other devices instead of taking the power from the grid at the cheap rate.

If anyone thinks this is incorrect, please can you explain how it can be made to work. Thanks very much.
I'm a Givenergy user and if I need to do that I set the batteries to charge to a pre-determined percentage in the same window as the car charging. So that battery percentage is maintained throughout the charging window - for me Go Faster. We also have start and stop times we can juggle as needed. Presumably Powerwall has similar controls?

Does a Powerwall have the facility to set block discharge times like many Inverter/battery systems?

Both my inverters have this feature & I have set 23.30-05.30 as 'permanent' block (with the ability to easily set extra slots via their apps if needed on specific nights). House batteries charge on the off peak rate during this period (in winter) and car charging has no impact on their SOC regardless of whether they are charging or not.

Reactions: RedMod3
I'm a Givenergy user and if I need to do that I set the batteries to charge to a pre-determined percentage in the same window as the car charging. So that battery percentage is maintained throughout the charging window - for me Go Faster. We also have start and stop times we can juggle as needed. Presumably Powerwall has similar controls?
That is interesting, you've got me thinking. On GO, the Powerwalls fully charge to 100%, even when flat, within 4 hours at 3.6kW. Now, with IO, would they continue to charge to 100% after 4 hours, or would the settings on the Powerwall result in the charge current being reduced. So, say I set the immersion heater to start after 4 hours for 2 hours, maybe the PWs will stay fully charged and only the immersion would draw current.

Reactions: spon88
Does a Powerwall have the facility to set block discharge times like many Inverter/battery systems?

Both my inverters have this feature & I have set 23.30-05.30 as 'permanent' block (with the ability to easily set extra slots via their apps if needed on specific nights). House batteries charge on the off peak rate during this period (in winter) and car charging has no impact on their SOC regardless of whether they are charging or not.
No, the Powerwall does not have that facility, but it is an idea that may be implemented by our wiring. Thanks.

Thank you guys for all the comments; you've all given me good ideas to think about. I wrote the tweet as I am so close to hitting the 100A limit during the off-peak period.

That is interesting, you've got me thinking. On GO, the Powerwalls fully charge to 100%, even when flat, within 4 hours at 3.6kW. Now, with IO, would they continue to charge to 100% after 4 hours, or would the settings on the Powerwall result in the charge current being reduced. So, say I set the immersion heater to start after 4 hours for 2 hours, maybe the PWs will stay fully charged and only the immersion would draw current.

That what I would expect, eg to hold charge at 100% until the end of the charging period.

I had this issue with a free charger approximately 5 miles from home, which I was using. I suspected it might be a smart setting but I hadn’t worked out how to use IO properly and was just using the 6hr off peak period and my smart charge settings on my Rolec home charger which I thought controlled the car.
i spoke to Tesla and ev.energy who all said there was not an issue. It was only when I came across this forum and had worked out how to use IO properly that I suspect it was the octopus app controlling the car.