Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone having issues receiving windows tonight? I’ve plugged in the car around an hour and a half ago and not received a schedule yet.

I tried disabling and enabling smart charging but that didn’t work, and then tried ‘reconnecting device’ and logging into my Tesla account again, now it says connection successful but no vehicles available.

Any ideas?

Plugged mine in to give it a go and as usual another huge charging window. House battery draining down now so will make a note and let it run through the night.

As I should be completely on cheap rate I'm going to run the washing machine and dishwasher early😉
4D10BA3B-0797-400A-9DAD-42E7E3199FD0.png

Plugged mine in to give it a go and as usual another huge charging window. House battery draining down now so will make a note and let it run through the night.

As I should be completely on cheap rate I'm going to run the washing machine and dishwasher early😉View attachment 914554
Excellent if you have no batteries, but with PWs, won't the batteries drain first before you take power from the grid? I guess a high battery reserve could fix that though?

Batteries discharge upto 3.68kW (ish) and everything above that is from grid. Currently taking 6.81kW from grid plus the 3.824kW from the batteries (according to the FoxEss App) and I have about 2% left so very soon I’ll be 10kW from the grid all at 10p I trust?

Car is taking about 7kW according to Tesla app and has 7h55m to reach 90% limit.
Happy days I hope???

And now it’s 10.11kW from grid as house batteries depleted.

Reactions: RedMod3
Batteries discharge upto 3.68kW (ish) and everything above that is from grid. Currently taking 6.81kW from grid plus the 3.824kW from the batteries (according to the FoxEss App) and I have about 2% left so very soon I’ll be 10kW from the grid all at 10p I trust?

Car is taking about 7kW according to Tesla app and has 7h55m to reach 90% limit.
Happy days I hope???

And now it’s 10.11kW from grid as house batteries depleted.
That's good. I took 63.1 from the Grid at 5p last night and I've 38% left to see me through until 00:30, and I should do that.

As I should be completely on cheap rate I'm going to run the washing machine and dishwasher early😉View attachment 914554
Are you on a 3 pin charger?

If you are, gotta think they're going to put a stop to that eventually if you keep getting massive windows. It's my first time tonight having a bit of the window outside the specified time, assuming due to low charge on the vehicle.

Reactions: ringi
Are you on a 3 pin charger?

If you are, gotta think they're going to put a stop to that eventually if you keep getting massive windows. It's my first time tonight having a bit of the window outside the specified time, assuming due to low charge on the vehicle.
As per my post car drawing 7kW. Be a good three pin charger to manage that 😉

IO set the schedule. I’m doing it by the book. Set charge limit and ready by time and it’s upto Octopus to set me a smart schedule. Nothing underhand at my end. I’d have been happy if it started charging at 11:30 and filled as much as it could by 05:30 but what can you do? Except cancel smart charging and stick to the set hours which skirts the T&C’s if that’s all you do.
Octopus knows best👍

Well I spoke to soon…

Charging stopped after 20kW at about 22:00 at 53%. I never touched anything and waited hoping it would revert to schedule? I was expecting it to continue later in the night just as it would normally when NOT on a smart schedule
900583D1-2752-42EA-8C59-DF76DFB7EF37.jpeg
Well nothing significantly more happened and by this morning I’m left with 54%.

This has always been my IO concern/fear (from reading certain earlier posts in this thread) so now it’s done its thing I’ll be on a non smart charge tonight as I need 100% for a day trip to Bournemouth and back on Wednesday.

I guess you win some and you lose some? Next time I’ll try and plug in later? Until I fathom out a working system I will only play with IO on non critical travel days?

Million dollar question is did I still get the full smart schedule on cheap rate (as I did a load of other stuff early) and only my bill will tell me?

Still waiting on my first bill and I switched end of January. My usual mid Feb bill only went up to the end of January when I was still on my old 5p Go rates. I’ve had nothing yet for IO🤷‍♂️

Well I spoke to soon…

Charging stopped after 20kW at about 22:00 at 53%. I never touched anything and waited hoping it would revert to schedule? I was expecting it to continue later in the night just as it would normally when NOT on a smart schedule

Million dollar question is did I still get the full smart schedule on cheap rate (as I did a load of other stuff early) and only my bill will tell me?
Interesting questions.
Are there any notifications in the car? If the charger stops communicating with the car the charge drop will happen. I had one night with this scenario, and Tesla told me it was car/charger comms that stopped. That should be a fun one to resolve since it could be the car comms chips, the cable/connectors, or the charger comms chips.

The other time I saw this was with a power cut. Could you have had one even if brief. I had to alter my Zappi so it defaults to startup in Fast mode so that it auto recovers from power cuts.

This has always been my IO concern/fear (from reading certain earlier posts in this thread) so now it’s done its thing I’ll be on a non smart charge tonight as I need 100% for a day trip to Bournemouth and back on Wednesday.

I guess you win some and you lose some? Next time I’ll try and plug in later? Until I fathom out a working system I will only play with IO on non critical travel days?

As below, our first charge part failed. It was a two parter, first timeslot didn't start, second timeslot worked fine although did finish a couple of hours early.

tl;dr - I certainly think that for important charges, IO could be a bit more robust and makes a few incorrect assumptions about the cars state of charge. Having a fallback of in car start schedule may be something worth considering, ie scheduled start 23:30 - but I don't have enough IO experience to know if this upsets IO.

I have a couple of theories based upon observations/monitoring at the time.

Two working hypothesis for the first non charging event, one of which relates to the second charge finishing a couple of hours early.

1, Car was deeply asleep/offline and IO didn't wait sufficiently long enough for the car to wake up or retry the charge sufficiently. This is my main hypothesis and if so, if there is not already, IO could be more robust when a car fails to wake in a timely manner. I don't know when IO sent the wakeup request vs the schedules start time, but TeslaFi reported that the car had woken within 1m22s of the scheduled start time. Obviously a while if you are holding the app waiting for the car to wake, but IMHO, certainly within the time window of not giving up on the charge unless it decided to simply defer that charge to the next time frame. Which neatly carries on to...
2. Prior to the first charge, during a long idle period after returning from the preceding drive, the cars BMS decided to add 4% to the battery level guess (which for anyone that watches BMS guesses, is usually of the form, what it giveth with one hand, it takes with the other). So, at the start of the first segment, the car was already 4% ahead of schedule as far as battery % was concerned. So, did IO just not charge because the battery level was ahead of schedule? An interesting observation, the IO app actually showed the phantom kWh that the car had taken on board during this time, so IO must have taken a note of the cars kWh when it made its schedule, then used this to report, and possibly base its charge plan on, during the charge period.

Unfortunately, irrespective of whether IO actually used the SoC value to influence its charge plan, we did unfortunately end up with being under charged. As mentioned before, what gets giveth with one hand gets taken with the other... Well, IO charge stopped 04:07 (IO charge window was till 07:30) because the car reached its 70%. however, sometime between 04:19 and 07:31 when the car was sleeping, that previously added 4% was taken away, which unfortunately was not detected by IO so we ended up with a 66% charge, 4% short of what we had asked for.

Now, 4% BMS swings are not unheard of, and some have indeed been reported as occurring after install of 2023.2.x (which this was just after first drive on that version), and thankfully quite rare, but it is not unusual for BMS to do a recalibration what will affect battery level by a couple of % - usually only noticed in likes of TeslaFi etc, although this time SWMBO asked if car had charged properly as she had much less % in the car during her drive than she expected.

My two takes from first experience of IO.
IO should be more robust when trying to start a charge - IMHO, it gave up much too soon waiting for the car to wake. Keeping car awake, eg sentry, just to ensure that car is awake at start of charge schedule seems like a bit of a waste of energy.
Even though the car reached its IO SoC during the charge, don't expect that SoC not to change (up or down) after IO has supposedly completed its charge.

Looks like car failed to start its first IO charge, 15:30-16:00. No evidence that car woke or took any charge on - TeslaFi and energy monitor.

My guess is that IO didn’t wait long enough for car to wake the car sufficiently as TeslaFi showed it woke sometime around 15:31 but no charge starting. Certainly no home power peaks registered for that time slot period.

Any way of knowing what wake timeout is or whether it should try to start a charge when car eventually wakes even if that takes a minute or so.

Hopefully it will be more successful at 23:00, it’s next scheduled time slot.

I’ve not disabled the old Go 00:30 start charge schedule in the car so hopefully will at least get something in tonight.

Reactions: ElectricPolice
I may have a poke around in the car later, possibly even check service mode for any notifications?

However, other than that nothing happened. Was watching Netflix at the time and definitely no power cuts. Good suggestions though for the future.

I do think it odd that it scheduled 10h of charging when it only needed about 6-7h to fill the 60% necessary to reach 90%? My first ever IO charge smart schedule was 23:00-08:30 for an 80% charge and that worked fine.

Next time if this occurs I’ll manually start it at 23:30 and see if IO overrides it or lets it charge to suit the car?

Fun and games!

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger
I've have never had a scheduled charge fail. General question to those that have - are you using the tariff as designed or are you going off piste with overrides in the car, not switching off smart features on your EVSE etc?

Exactly as IO designed. Basic non smart charger. I do still have my Go scheduled start in for 00:30 (which if anyone blames that for a failed 15:30 charge would be clutching at straws and more likely to have affected the 23:00-07:30 charge which worked fine) and TeslaFi, which is reactive not proactive and not uncommon/unreasonable for people to use and again, didn't affect the 23:30 - 07:30 charge other than I got to see what really went on and when.

Cars not waking promptly is not an unusual occurrence.

15:30, the car seemed to have been told to wake up as it should have been by IO. But it didn't fully wake until ~1m24s later, by which point IO seem to have given up. Just my guess. And BMS recalibration is nothing to do with IO, but it would have been nice for IO to have kept monitoring the SoC during the scheduled charge window (or even just the cheap rate period) and if SoC dropped, just done a brief topup. But now I know that, I can adjust requested SoC if need be, which tbh, is not that often and in those cases will probably just do a non IO charge within the 23:30-05:30 window if it becomes a common thing.

Well I spoke to soon…

Charging stopped after 20kW at about 22:00 at 53%. I never touched anything and waited hoping it would revert to schedule? I was expecting it to continue later in the night just as it would normally when NOT on a smart schedule View attachment 914767Well nothing significantly more happened and by this morning I’m left with 54%.

Still waiting on my first bill and I switched end of January. My usual mid Feb bill only went up to the end of January when I was still on my old 5p Go rates. I’ve had nothing yet for IO🤷‍♂️
Just a question, as you had a huge charging schedule vs. what would have been needed, is your setup on IO correct for the speed of charging you have?
Typically, if you have declared you were charging on 3-pin / 3kWh on IO but used your 7.4kWh charger, it messes with IO and they stop the charge when they see the SoC increasing 'too fast' compared to what they expect.
I believe there's been a change of behaviour in IO and they do a kind of constant SoC monitoring now rather than a dumb start/stop.
Of course at some point they should have resumed for your 5.30 am departure so still a miss on their end but that might be a factor

Just a question, as you had a huge charging schedule vs. what would have been needed, is your setup on IO correct for the speed of charging you have?
Typically, if you have declared you were charging on 3-pin / 3kWh on IO but used your 7.4kWh charger, it messes with IO and they stop the charge when they see the SoC increasing 'too fast' compared to what they expect.
I believe there's been a change of behaviour in IO and they do a kind of constant SoC monitoring now rather than a dumb start/stop.
Of course at some point they should have resumed for your 5.30 am departure so still a miss on their end but that might be a factor
Hi, I get what you're saying and it makes sense; however, I don't think there is a way to check what the current setting is without the Disconnect/Reconnect approach is there?

As far as I know I'm set up corrently, I'm certain I set it up on the 7kW wall charger and the test charge all went to plan initially. Plus so did the first charge.

I had a quick look at the Tesla Service screen and there were a 2 errors noted which occured just after midnight. I've attached a screen shot if someone would like to make sense of it? Could this be why it didn't restart?
IMG_0780.jpeg

Reactions: WllXM