Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I've seen the same behaviour. I guess it's a bug, where Octopus is fairly generous in the off-peak charging time slots they are giving out which result in this overcharging. To be on the safe side, it's better to specify the charging limit you don't want to cross on the Tesla app instead, which IO will never be able to cross.

I'm wondering if its BMS / cold weather related: I've found recently at the start of a charge that the car will give me a rather pessimistic charging duration estimate, then, after several hours, catches-up and shaves hours off the remaining time. If IO bases itself on the former, then that might explain the overcharge.

However I've never experienced a connection problem between IO and Tesla in the past 6 months, maybe an isolated incident?

Thanks, so do you keep the IO app at 100% and change the Tesla app to the desired SoC?
I guess the problem with that is that IO might give you unrealistic long charging sessions that start way before 23.30 for many days on end.
I'm one of those crazy persons who actually begin their day between 4.30 and 5.30 !

Thanks, so do you keep the IO app at 100% and change the Tesla app to the desired SoC?
I guess the problem with that is that IO might give you unrealistic long charging sessions that start way before 23.30 for many days on end.
I'm one of those crazy persons who actually begin their day between 4.30 and 5.30 !
Just in case you didn't read it on this thread, any slots that IO would give you before 23.30 would still be charged at off-peak rate, not at full price, so it's actually a bonus for the whole house, not an inconvenient for you at all! (But of course you want to be fair and not abuse the extra slots too much in case Octopus decides to change the terms if they see too many people gaming the system)

I very rarely do long trip, so the car's limit is always at 80%, and then I adjust with IO on the day to day depending on what I need. If sometimes it overcharges and gets me at 80% when I only asked for 60%, that's not a big deal for me, still at the battery optimum. And on the rare occasions I need to be at 100% I change both the Tesla app and Octopus the night before.
Of course if Octopus frequently gets your car to 95% or 100% when you don't need it and you specified a lower SoC that it didn't followed, there's the risk of premature wear of the battery (assuming you have a LR) and that's what you want to avoid by setting at around 80% max on the car itself.

Hi all, just signed up to IO last night. Can I just check my understanding of how this works is correct?

If I set on the app the min. charge to 100% and the time to 8am, I think it will always charge between 11.30pm and 5.30am, and then if that doesn't get me to 100% it will also try to charge outside of this period if it can find a 30 min slot when Octopus can get away with charging me the same 10p/kwh rate, right?

Hi all, just signed up to IO last night. Can I just check my understanding of how this works is correct?

If I set on the app the min. charge to 100% and the time to 8am, I think it will always charge between 11.30pm and 5.30am, and then if that doesn't get me to 100% it will also try to charge outside of this period if it can find a 30 min slot when Octopus can get away with charging me the same 10p/kwh rate, right?
Yep you're correct. Depending on the speed of your home charger and the SoC of the car when you plug-in, IO will calculate how long it should take, and give out cheap slots accordingly, with a preference for the 23.30-5.30 period, but also anything outside of that if necessary / economically feasible for them / good for the grid.
Though bear in mind it may not be a single, continuous charge slot during the night, they will dynamically balance and can start/stop the charge multiple times if they need to.

Yep you're correct. Depending on the speed of your home charger and the SoC of the car when you plug-in, IO will calculate how long it should take, and give out cheap slots accordingly, with a preference for the 23.30-5.30 period, but also anything outside of that if necessary / economically feasible for them / good for the grid.
Though bear in mind it may not be a single, continuous charge slot during the night, they will dynamically balance and can start/stop the charge multiple times if they need to.
Many thanks

IO is pretty crazy. I don’t travel far every day so I don’t need to charge all the time. I let the car get low…. Then charge to 90%. If I say I leave at 6am, charging would kick in say 6/7ish in the evening. So cheap rate for the house from 6pm until 6am. Gives me a chance to do all the washing and drying for the week. Charge to hoover etc.

Noting much intelligent about it

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricPolice
Hello guys, when I plug the Tesla in, should I stop it charging in the Tesla app and await octopus setting the schedule?

Or do I need to allow it to charge and await the schedule?

Cheers
You can absolutely stop it. It will not prevent Octopus creating a schedule. Actually you should stop it if you don’t want to be charged at peak rate as Octopus can sometimes take a while to stop it automatically.
To avoid than it’s even better to set up the car not to start charging before 23.30 in the settings.

I prefer to let IO run the schedule as that's the point of the tariff.
The issue is not to override IO schedule, but ensuring it doesn't fail to stop the charge promptly after the car is being plugged in.

Until IO is capable of stopping the charge, without fail, within, say a minute of the car being plugged in, this workaround is required in order to avoid being charged at peak rate. IO failed me multiple times by letting the car charge at peak rate for hours before it decided to stop it and create a schedule... So I've been overcharged by a near 5x factor in the meantime...

And no, getting my phone > opening the Tesla app > waiting for it to load > pressing on the stop charge button, every time I plug the car in is too much of a hassle for me at present for something that should be automated correctly.

The issue is not to override IO schedule, but ensuring it doesn't fail to stop the charge promptly after the car is being plugged in.

Until IO is capable of stopping the charge, without fail, within, say a minute of the car being plugged in, this workaround is required in order to avoid being charged at peak rate. IO failed me multiple times by letting the car charge at peak rate for hours before it decided to stop it and create a schedule... So I've been overcharged by a near 5x factor in the meantime...

And no, getting my phone > opening the Tesla app > waiting for it to load > pressing on the stop charge button, every time I plug the car in is too much of a hassle for me at present for something that should be automated correctly.
Fair enough but in my case I open the app to unlock the charge port just before going out to the car so it's already right in front of me to stop the charge when I plug in.

Reactions: waltonmark
I'm having exactly the same issue at the moment. An email from Octopus asking me to reconnect the car, then I get the same message, connection successful but no vehicles available. Have emailed Octopus and waiting for a response from them. I've reverted to non smart charging in the mean time
Hey, just in response to this, I received the same email the day after.

I'd already done this before receiving the email but just disconnected the car, re-added it and did another test charge and it's been working since.

Has anyone noticed that recently Octopus haven't been giving them the full charge?

I've been set for 100% SoC by the end of the charge, and twice now I've had it leave me between 90-95%.

Yesterday for example, I plugged in around 2pm after getting back from a long drive and had 13% battery. It gave me a schedule of 15:00-16:00, and then 23:00-05:00. It did start charging between 15:00 and 16:00 but only charged for a total of 37 minutes in that window, and then overnight it charged for the full 23:00-05:00 and left me a bit short on battery.

I realise they want to keep my charging within off peak windows, however seeing as people are getting all day windows on 3 pin chargers, it seems a bit weird to me that octopus won't let me get to full charge despite saying they will always get me to the required SoC.

Has anyone noticed that recently Octopus haven't been giving them the full charge?

I've been set for 100% SoC by the end of the charge, and twice now I've had it leave me between 90-95%.

Yesterday for example, I plugged in around 2pm after getting back from a long drive and had 13% battery. It gave me a schedule of 15:00-16:00, and then 23:00-05:00. It did start charging between 15:00 and 16:00 but only charged for a total of 37 minutes in that window, and then overnight it charged for the full 23:00-05:00 and left me a bit short on battery.

I realise they want to keep my charging within off peak windows, however seeing as people are getting all day windows on 3 pin chargers, it seems a bit weird to me that octopus won't let me get to full charge despite saying they will always get me to the required SoC.

Probably not the reason for being so far adrift, but worth a mention for when it does happen.

Tesla have two sets of values for battery energy stats. They have an, for want of better word, ‘ideal’/gross/rated energy value and they also have a usable energy value. They can differ, eg due to battery temperature et al. Usable will be less or equal to gross. It could well be a few % difference.

The important difference is that Tesla App shows the usable energy, but IO and many other apps use rated energy. So it is possible to set 70% required SoC in the Octopus app, but at end of charge only see 68% in the Tesla App. They are the same, just different way of interpreting the battery energy levels.

But your % are probably too far adrift for this to be what you are seeing.

Reactions: xreyuk
IO is pretty crazy. I don’t travel far every day so I don’t need to charge all the time. I let the car get low…. Then charge to 90%. If I say I leave at 6am, charging would kick in say 6/7ish in the evening. So cheap rate for the house from 6pm until 6am. Gives me a chance to do all the washing and drying for the week. Charge to hoover etc.

Noting much intelligent about it

What I want to know is if you plug in away from home and IO creates a schedule (which for some reason it seems to), do you still get the off peak, out of hours rates at home even if your car is not plugged in at home? Thankfully it doesn’t seem to control the charge though.

What was your “charge by” time?