Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
What I want to know is if you plug in away from home and IO creates a schedule (which for some reason it seems to), do you still get the off peak, out of hours rates at home even if your car is not plugged in at home? Thankfully it doesn’t seem to control the charge though.
No you don't. The schedule is almost like a 'phantom'. It seems to create a schedule, then check the geofence, then correct itself and remove the schedule. It's a bit ass-backwards but fairly low down the list of bugs that would be nice to fix.

05:30 yesterday, 08:00 the other. No preconditioning or anything set that could have accidentally drained the battery.
Curious. I could understand the short-charge if your departure time was 0500, but I wonder why it didn’t keep charging until 0530 when you didn’t reach a full charge by 0500? I’ve not experienced this issue, myself. Maybe IO didn’t review the SoC situation until after 0530, by which time it was “too late” to create another charge window as this was after your specified departure time. Maybe.

I have departure time at 05.30 & SOC as 100% with IO but either 80 or 90% in the Tesla app (departure time not enabled). Mostly the car is charged when SOC has dropped to 40-45%.

On this basis charge level is always at either 79 or 89% next morning and although slots were frequently scheduled up to 05.30, I can see from the Myenergi or house inverter apps that charging usually finishes by 04.30.

Setting IO to 100% even if the car is set for a lower target has always worked well for me.

I have departure time at 05.30 & SOC as 100% with IO but either 80 or 90% in the Tesla app (departure time not enabled). Mostly the car is charged when SOC has dropped to 40-45%.

On this basis charge level is always at either 79 or 89% next morning and although slots were frequently scheduled up to 05.30, I can see from the Myenergi or house inverter apps that charging usually finishes by 04.30.

Setting IO to 100% even if the car is set for a lower target has always worked well for me.
Problem with this approach is that IO is scheduling slots to hit 100% that it wouldn't otherwise schedule. If these are high carbon slots in earlier in the schedule that end up getting used preferentially, then again it defeats the purpose of the tariff.

hey all... ever since we've had the IO app (Android) we've had issues where we would head to the app and find ourselves logged out. It used to be that you could just kill the app and then restart it and you'd be logged in. But recently, I now find myself logged out more than once a day even when I don't kill the app. I've not changed any settings that would affect this on my phone, but the app may have updated and is now more buggy because of this.

Just wondered if anyone else is having issues to the same degree. I've sent a support request and bug report but not heard anything back yet.

Curious. I could understand the short-charge if your departure time was 0500, but I wonder why it didn’t keep charging until 0530 when you didn’t reach a full charge by 0500? I’ve not experienced this issue, myself. Maybe IO didn’t review the SoC situation until after 0530, by which time it was “too late” to create another charge window as this was after your specified departure time. Maybe.
Yeah it's strange.

I nipped out before (unplanned) and only used 1% battery, when I got home and plugged in again, it rescheduled and gave me an extra hour of charging time. Just really weird.

I guess that's why it's a 'beta' tariff.

Has anyone noticed that recently Octopus haven't been giving them the full charge?

I've been set for 100% SoC by the end of the charge, and twice now I've had it leave me between 90-95%.

Yesterday for example, I plugged in around 2pm after getting back from a long drive and had 13% battery. It gave me a schedule of 15:00-16:00, and then 23:00-05:00. It did start charging between 15:00 and 16:00 but only charged for a total of 37 minutes in that window, and then overnight it charged for the full 23:00-05:00 and left me a bit short on battery.

I realise they want to keep my charging within off peak windows, however seeing as people are getting all day windows on 3 pin chargers, it seems a bit weird to me that octopus won't let me get to full charge despite saying they will always get me to the required SoC.
Yes this happens. It will schedule some half hour slots and not use of all the time, end up short of charge at the end of the last scheduled slot and then not provide a new slot. It annoys me that it leaves the car up to 5 or even 8% short of where it is supposed to be, and apparently doesnt check whether it has achieved what it was intending to. But not a major problem as you can move the target leaving time when you get up and it will create another slot and complete the missing bit at the low cost rate.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
hey all... ever since we've had the IO app (Android) we've had issues where we would head to the app and find ourselves logged out. It used to be that you could just kill the app and then restart it and you'd be logged in. But recently, I now find myself logged out more than once a day even when I don't kill the app. I've not changed any settings that would affect this on my phone, but the app may have updated and is now more buggy because of this.

Just wondered if anyone else is having issues to the same degree. I've sent a support request and bug report but not heard anything back yet.
Yes, I get this all the time - pain in the proverbial... I have fingerprint recognition turned on, and I'll authenticate using that just to be asked for my username/password regardless. Seems there no rhyme or reason to it - sometimes a few days, sometimes a hour and you're logged out. It is not related to killing the app or anything I can tie down.

Have you also noticed that when you are 'logged in' and the app is running in the background, if you get a schedule, it doesn't show up, you need to 'kill' the app/process and come back in to see it? Oh, and schedules being delivered when the car is not plugged in, and sometimes when its not even at home?

IO is brilliant (I wouldn't swap back), but very definitely a beta tariff.

Reactions: kuruma
Problem with this approach is that IO is scheduling slots to hit 100% that it wouldn't otherwise schedule. If these are high carbon slots in earlier in the schedule that end up getting used preferentially, then again it defeats the purpose of the tariff.
Yes you are right of course - it is very slightly 'defeating the purpose of the tariff'. Most sessions are like this where it finishes about 20-30 minutes early...

IMG_5149.PNG
Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 21.11.06.png

morning, very quick question. Is octopus the only utility to offer a EV tariff? Only reason i ask is that i'm moving back to the UK from the US in May having been over here for 4 years - when I left NPower existed - i believe they no longer exist.
Not the only one, no - but a popular one.

There is also OVO anytime ev charging tariff - there is a sep thread on that one.

Likely others but those are main two at the moment I believe.

I’m monitoring at the moment as my fixed 18p kWh ends in July - but think my charging needs are too low (and my ability to load shift too low) to make IO cost effective.
I think the Octopus tracker might work better for me

Reactions: gherkin12
Anyone know how to remove a tesla to swap it with another tesla. This will be a permanent change?
As this is an Intelligent Octopus thread I'm guessing your question relates to this tariff so yes, see below.

There cannot be two Teslas on the same account when a setup test charge is attempted. I've listed a couple of scenarios below (personal experience of this).
  • If swapping for a new Model & selling the original car, remove the 'older' car from both the Tesla account and also IO before attempting the initial test setup with the new one. It won't work otherwise.
    Add the new car via the Tesla app and remove/transfer the other car to its new owner. Also disconnect the original car from IO via the Octopus app. Start the IO sign-up process again with the new car (your account stays active while you are doing this even though it looks like you are 'joining' IO).
  • If needing to swap IO over to the new car but keep both, it's a little more complicated. IO will only allow one Tesla to be active on the account.
    The original car will need its own Tesla account which has to be created using a separate email address even if you are the same owner. Create the account, remove the original car from IO via the Octopus app then transfer ('sell') the older car to your new Tesla account. Then you will be able to proceed with the initial IO test setup for the new car on the original account. Whenever you need to charge the older car which is no longer linked to IO, simply log out of the original account & log into the new account and charge that car via a manual schedule.

I prefer to let IO run the schedule as that's the point of the tariff.
Agreed. However, the point of the tariff is also for them to turn the car off when first plugged in. Which is not reliable. Yesterday we plugged in at 17:00, I happened to check at 22:00 and the car had been charging 5 hours at peak rate. So until the “point of the tariff” is reliable from their side scheduled charging will continue from my side. We are borderline saving money on this tariff, therefore charging at the higher rate negates everything.

However, the point of the tariff is also for them to turn the car off when first plugged in. Which is not reliable. Yesterday we plugged in at 17:00, I happened to check at 22:00 and the car had been charging 5 hours at peak rate. So until the “point of the tariff” is reliable from their side scheduled charging will continue from my side.
Open Tesla app > Stop charge

I don't think a slightly sub-optimal workflow gives you recourse to sh1t all over the tariff.

Open Tesla app > Stop charge

I don't think a slightly sub-optimal workflow gives you recourse to sh1t all over the tariff.
I think there's a deep misunderstanding there as setting a charging schedule to prevent the car from charging immediately is hardly sh1tting over the tariff.
IO can still fully control the car and start & stop slots before 23.30, retaining full control on the schedule.

Now, disabling smart charging entirely and only charging between 23.30 and 5.30 precisely would be a breach of the T&Cs in the long run but this is definitely not, by miles, what is being done here...

Reactions: tdjohn
Now, disabling smart charging entirely and only charging between 23.30 and 5.30 precisely would be a breach of the T&Cs in the long run but this is definitely not, by miles, what is being done here...
I believe he was referring to the comment below by @tdjohn.
So until the “point of the tariff” is reliable from their side scheduled charging will continue from my side.