Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it really that hard to set up in the car a scheduled ready to depart time that matches what is set in the octopus app so it doesn’t immediately start charging when plugged in?

In the bit over two months I’ve had IO all I’ve ever done is arrive at home at night plug in the car then forget about it, the IO has then worked flawlessly bar one night where it stopped 4% short of target for some reason.

Open Tesla app > Stop charge

I don't think a slightly sub-optimal workflow gives you recourse to sh1t all over the tariff.
Why should I? They are supposed to turn off and they are not, costing me money. I want convenience not have to manually remember to do something every time I plug in.

Surely it’s not unreasonable to ask that IO provide what they say they will. If we are expected to stop charging every time we plug in then that is what their tariff instructions and terms should be.

Stopping it from charging before 23:30 does not mess with their scheduling, I have no schedule in the car. They can start/stop it before that time if they want.

Why should I? They are supposed to turn off and they are not, costing me money. I want convenience not have to manually remember to do something every time I plug in.

Surely it’s not unreasonable to ask that IO provide what they say they will. If we are expected to stop charging every time we plug in then that is what their tariff instructions and terms should be.

Stopping it from charging before 23:30 does not mess with their scheduling, I have no schedule in the car. They can start/stop it before that time if they want.
There has been plenty of posts on here about how to stop the car charging initially. However I’d be pretty peeled if I had an ev tariff and tariff failed to charge off peak through no fault of my own. There again it is a beta product so one could anticipate these teething issues.
Part of the issue is sometimes it works when you plug in sometimes it doesn’t ……..when you’re charging a car that’s not particularly helpful…

There has been plenty of posts on here about how to stop the car charging initially. However I’d be pretty peeled if I had an ev tariff and tariff failed to charge off peak through no fault of my own. There again it is a beta product so one could anticipate these teething issues.
Part of the issue is sometimes it works when you plug in sometimes it doesn’t ……..when you’re charging a car that’s not particularly helpful…
Yes. Which is where I originally got the idea to set the car not to charge before 23:30 and it works fine. I only commented because of some other comment about doing this it not being in the spirit of the tariff. I’m simply pointing out it has to work both ways.

I set my Tesla app to not start before 23:30 and this (so far) always stops the intial charge when plugging in. I always plug in after about 6pm and not as some have mentioned on here in the middle of the day. I follow the FAQ's which state to plug in after 5pm to hopefully minimise any issues.

On occasions, a short while after plugging in, I get a smart schedule from IO which starts well before 23:30 which overrides the Tesla app and it begins its charge. Last one last week started at 19:03. I am not set up on a 3 pin plug, I'm using a standard BP Pulse wall box max 30A.

6 weeks into the new tariff now and I've not had a bill so I'm desparate to see how this has played out and, as all folk on here have confirmed, this out of hours charging is always off peak.

Time will tell if and when I get a bill...

I set my Tesla app to not start before 23:30 and this (so far) always stops the intial charge when plugging in. I always plug in after about 6pm and not as some have mentioned on here in the middle of the day. I follow the FAQ's which state to plug in after 5pm to hopefully minimise any issues.

On occasions, a short while after plugging in, I get a smart schedule from IO which starts well before 23:30 which overrides the Tesla app and it begins its charge. Last one last week started at 19:03. I am not set up on a 3 pin plug, I'm using a standard BP Pulse wall box max 30A.

6 weeks into the new tariff now and I've not had a bill so I'm desparate to see how this has played out and, as all folk on here have confirmed, this out of hours charging is always off peak.

Time will tell if and when I get a bill...
Usually Octopus have been pretty on the spot with billing with me, always on the same day of every month. Might worth dropping them a line to make sure they can get this started for you.

Reactions: ElectricPolice
Usually Octopus have been pretty on the spot with billing with me, always on the same day of every month. Might worth dropping them a line to make sure they can get this started for you.
My 'usual' bill day is the 17th so I'm going to give it a few days and then yes, if nothing heard, I'll drop them a message.

Maybe even twitter, if I knew how it worked? As that seems to be the fastest way to a resolution😂

We were connected to IO on the 6/3/23 and have had problems ever since. Everytime I plug in our model 3 it starts charging from the mains and from our power wall (presumably at peak rate between 15:00 and 18:00) so I unplug it and plug it in again at 23:30 or if we get a schedule, at whatever time they have selected. The following morning sometimes we get a little charge but never more than 50% and sometimes we get nothing at all, it's hopeless situation and before long we will probably have to use a super charger when we need to do a longer journey.

Has anybody else experienced this and if so what is the best way of dealing with it?

I'm more than happy to let IO do its thing and charge our car when it wants, but it needs to charge our car off peak and it needs to fill it up (we set the Octopus app to be ready at 08:00 and 100% SoC and usually have 80% set in the Tesla). We have had a lot of run around from Octopus customer services and have spoken to at least 6 different people. I have also submitted an email recently explaining the issue to them (no response yet).

We were connected to IO on the 6/3/23 and have had problems ever since. Everytime I plug in our model 3 it starts charging from the mains and from our power wall (presumably at peak rate between 15:00 and 18:00) so I unplug it and plug it in again at 23:30 or if we get a schedule, at whatever time they have selected. The following morning sometimes we get a little charge but never more than 50% and sometimes we get nothing at all, it's hopeless situation and before long we will probably have to use a super charger when we need to do a longer journey.

Has anybody else experienced this and if so what is the best way of dealing with it?

I'm more than happy to let IO do its thing and charge our car when it wants, but it needs to charge our car off peak and it needs to fill it up (we set the Octopus app to be ready at 08:00 and 100% SoC and usually have 80% set in the Tesla). We have had a lot of run around from Octopus customer services and have spoken to at least 6 different people. I have also submitted an email recently explaining the issue to them (no response yet).
Why don’t you just enable schedule charging in the app at 23:30 and choose off peak charging

If you never get more than 50% then IOS charge calculation seems wrong. Does the schedule include long enough slots? Is the car charging at the correct current? Is it current or time that is wrong? If time you may need to renter the car so the battery size and charger current are correct. If current figure out what is limiting it - car or charger settings, charger power supply.

We were connected to IO on the 6/3/23 and have had problems ever since. Everytime I plug in our model 3 it starts charging from the mains and from our power wall (presumably at peak rate between 15:00 and 18:00) so I unplug it
Really simple, you have three choices:

If you plug your car into a live charger it'll start charging straight away. IO or not IO, that's what it'll do.
So either:
1) Accept that and wait for IO to stop it charging. It may take quite some time.
or
2) After plugging in, open the Tesla App and click "Stop Charging". IO will then take over and start/stop it when needed.
or
3) Set a start or end ready by time in the Tesla app, eg. 23:30 for start, or 05:30 for "ready by". Which stops the car charging when plugged in.

Any of those 3 will work.

Yes, IO should stop it charging more quickly, but it doesn't unfortunately.

If you unplug the car, your schedule will go away. You just need to stop the charge, or enable scheduling. Even if you plug again at the time IO gave you a schedule for, it might have changed in the meantime.
You never need to unplug, just to stop the initial charge on the Tesla app. And again, to automate this you can go on Scheduled Charging > Start charging from: and set 23.30

Thanks for all your responses

“Why don’t you just enable schedule charging in the app at 23:30 and choose off peak charging “
That would prevent Octopus from charging before 11:30, however given the circumstances and the run around we have been given I think that is exactly what we will now do.

“If you never get more than 50% then IOS charge calculation seems wrong. Does the schedule include long enough slots? Is the car charging at the correct current? Is it current or time that is wrong? If time you may need to renter the car so the battery size and charger current are correct. If current figure out what is limiting it - car or charger settings, charger power supply.”
I think the current is right. There may have been issues with me disconnecting as we haven’t had any specific instruction concerning what we should or shouldn’t do, presumably it's just supposed to be obvious. I have now plugged the car in and set the Tesla to off peak charging after 23:30. We have been given a charging schedule (11:30-12:00, 12:00-12:30, 03:00-07.30) will see what happens tonight.

“If you plug your car into a live charger it'll start charging straight away. IO or not IO, that's what it'll do.
So either:
1) Accept that and wait for IO to stop it charging. It may take quite some time. or
2) After plugging in, open the Tesla App and click "Stop Charging". IO will then take over and start/stop it when needed. or
3) Set a start or end ready by time in the Tesla app, eg. 23:30 for start, or 05:30 for "ready by". Which stops the car charging when plugged in.
Any of those 3 will work.
Yes, IO should stop it charging more quickly, but it doesn't unfortunately.”

We have experienced a situation where IO didn’t stop it charging off peak at all – it simply drained our Powerwall. As we have had no joy from the customer service team we will be using your option 3 except I will leave it as 23:30 - 08:00 for now...

“Unless I'm missing something, that will mean the most you'll get will be 80%, I don't believe IO overrides the Tesla setting. Is that what is intended?”
Yes we only ever charge to 100% if we are going on a long trip.

“If you unplug the car, your schedule will go away. You just need to stop the charge, or enable scheduling. Even if you plug again at the time IO gave you a schedule for, it might have changed in the meantime.
You never need to unplug, just to stop the initial charge on the Tesla app. And again, to automate this you can go on Scheduled Charging > Start charging from: and set 23.30”

I hadn’t realised that so thanks, it's all a bit clearer now. Shame the customer service people at Octopus seemed unable to understand what the issue was.

I cut over from GO to IO at midnight tonight, can anyone who has recently cut over please confirm:

1. When my Octopus All will be updated to show IO.
2. When I can get the prompt to do the test charge.
3. Can I do the test charge after 11:30pm tomorrow night.

Thanks in advance, and from this thread, I can see using it will be a challenge.

Thanks for all your responses

“Why don’t you just enable schedule charging in the app at 23:30 and choose off peak charging “
That would prevent Octopus from charging before 11:30, however given the circumstances and the run around we have been given I think that is exactly what we will now do.
No, actually that would not. Octopus will still be able to charge your car before 23:30 if they were to give you an off-peak slot before that time. That is the main benefit. Setting a schedule only prevents the car from dumbly charging before Octopus is able to create a schedule, so it's exactly what you need in your case.

I cut over from GO to IO at midnight tonight, can anyone who has recently cut over please confirm:

1. When my Octopus All will be updated to show IO.
2. When I can get the prompt to do the test charge.
3. Can I do the test charge after 11:30pm tomorrow night.

Thanks in advance, and from this thread, I can see using it will be a challenge.
You can do the test charge anytime, but it will automatically result in you starting the IO tariff if you do it early. You can certainly do the test tomorrow. Not sure what actually happens to your account between now and then, probably it defaults to the variable tariff until you do the test charge or perhaps they automatically assign you to IO in a carless state, but I think thats unlikely.

Reactions: RedMod3
You can do the test charge anytime, but it will automatically result in you starting the IO tariff if you do it early. You can certainly do the test tomorrow. Not sure what actually happens to your account between now and then, probably it defaults to the variable tariff until you do the test charge or perhaps they automatically assign you to IO in a carless state, but I think thats unlikely.
Thanks, in that case, I'll try and do the test charge just after midnight tonight provided my app updates.

I just tried the switch as my PWs were at 60% and the test charge worked immediately. That’s fine as I’m on battery until 00:30. I’ve now got this screen. The Octopus App and Website show different status but I guess their tentacles need to untwine. It looks like I’m done and it was far easier than I expected. Well done Octopus and thanks all here

B81716C7-B106-48DC-BE01-72AE30F885A7.png
B14AAD26-2401-41D8-B3B6-22BACBA4B2D7.png
17E0CBD5-ACCD-41DE-AD84-AEFCDFFEAFEA.png

Reactions: Astrape
It doesn't prevent charging before 11:30. As far as the car is concerned it has received a start charging request from the app.