Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve just forced the update and can indeed see these changes. Nice that they’re making improvements.

Still has the silly quirk that you can’t have a schedule that straddles midnight! No 2330-0530 schedule for you! 0000-0530 or bust.
Hi Cardo. Firstly. how do you force an update? I used to suffer from outdated Tesla app but never knew you could force update.
Secondly. My app was set for 21:30-02:30 and now I have changed it to 23:30-05-30. But turn off as required.
Is yours set 0000-0530?

Hi Cardo. Firstly. how do you force an update? I used to suffer from outdated Tesla app but never knew you could force update.
Secondly. My app was set for 21:30-02:30 and now I have changed it to 23:30-05-30. But turn off as required.
Is yours set 0000-0530?
On iOS, in the App Store, tap on your profile in the top right and it shows all the available updates.

I can’t set a schedule on my PodPoint Solo to straddle midnight. If I set the start time to 2330, it only allows me to go to 0000. So I set mine to 0000-0530. TBF, I mostly use the Zappi and the PP is my backup. If you’re able to set a schedule to straddle midnight, it might have something to do with my PP being a relative geriatric at 5 years old.

• Informative
Reactions: DM250141
Same issue here this morning with the car not reaching the requested SoC (car and octopus app both set to 90%).

I happened to check a couple of hours ago and noticed the charge stopping a couple of minutes into the 30 min slot. Using ‘start charge’ on the Tesla app allows the charge to continue before eventually stopping again as IO seem to override and take control again. No schedules set on the car or charger.

Third week in with IO and my third week with issues. Cannot depend on this system when I have a 60 mile commute, often at very unsociable hours.
Avoiding the argument that it SHOULD work, I know that but as it doesn’t what can you do?

I live life this way, most things don’t meet my expectations and life’s to short to moan constantly. Although my wife would disagree.

IO is the most cost effective solution for my needs, there is no comparable alternative.

IO doesn’t work for me as it should all the time so I DON’T rely on it ever!! Why would I? And then complain? How does that help me get to work if the car battery is flat? Complaining won’t charge my car.

Anyhow, this is not a dig just my position.

I use IO scheduling weekly when I don’t need it so that I can meet the T&C’s and get usually a good long off peak window and a half decent charge.

When I need an urgent charge I switch off smart charging and set a 6h window as I did with Go. Then I get the full whack, guaranteed, no problem.

I’ll continue this was until the smart schedules I set up work and I can be 100% certain I’ll get it when I most definitely need it.

Others on here will reply back it’s been 100% perfect for them from day 1.

I’m pleased for them and look forward to when my IO works the same. I accept this.

On iOS, in the App Store, tap on your profile in the top right and it shows all the available updates.

I can’t set a schedule on my PodPoint Solo to straddle midnight. If I set the start time to 2330, it only allows me to go to 0000. So I set mine to 0000-0530. TBF, I mostly use the Zappi and the PP is my backup. If you’re able to set a schedule to straddle midnight, it might have something to do with my PP being a relative geriatric at 5 years old.
I use android not IOS.
My podpoint is also 5 years old. So try this and I am not talking down to you or questioning your intelligence.
Don’t forget this.
Look at the schedule as all week, don’t focus on one day. For example you can’t change any day to start at 23:30 because you have the next day set to start at 00:00 and so on and so on. You can’t have two starts on one day neither can you have one start override another. As you look at your schedule 00:00-05:30 each start finish time is shown on one day.

So to change it do the following.

Start on Monday and change start time to 23:30 and you will notice the 05:30 stop time has changed to 23:45. DON’T SAVE IT.

Move on to Tuesday and do the same again. Then every day to Sunday doing the same again and DON'T SAVE IT.

Now you are on Sunday and the stop time is showing as 23:45 change that to 05:30 DON'T SAVE IT and now work backwards Saturday to Monday NOT forwards and change all the stop times to 05:30 until you are back on Monday and when you have changed that to 05:30 now PRESS THE SAVE button.

Now when you look at the schedule. each day is shown to start that day but to the right of the end time it now shows the next day greyed out. If you need to change again to other times do similar and remember to look at the schedule as a week not just one day.

Reactions: Cardo
Avoiding the argument that it SHOULD work, I know that but as it doesn’t what can you do?

I live life this way, most things don’t meet my expectations and life’s to short to moan constantly. Although my wife would disagree.

IO is the most cost effective solution for my needs, there is no comparable alternative.

IO doesn’t work for me as it should all the time so I DON’T rely on it ever!! Why would I? And then complain? How does that help me get to work if the car battery is flat? Complaining won’t charge my car.

Anyhow, this is not a dig just my position.

I use IO scheduling weekly when I don’t need it so that I can meet the T&C’s and get usually a good long off peak window and a half decent charge.

When I need an urgent charge I switch off smart charging and set a 6h window as I did with Go. Then I get the full whack, guaranteed, no problem.

I’ll continue this was until the smart schedules I set up work and I can be 100% certain I’ll get it when I most definitely need it.

Others on here will reply back it’s been 100% perfect for them from day 1.

I’m pleased for them and look forward to when my IO works the same. I accept this.
Agreed that moaning about it doesn’t solve the problem, however if I knew IO was proven to be so unreliable I would have thought twice prior to switching or having to think about workarounds like disabling smart charging. I’m only a few weeks in and it’s not been the best experience so far.

I’d argue that if the charging schedules aren’t working as designed then the product isn’t fit for purpose. I’ll probably just disable the smart charging from now on for simplicity but we shouldn’t have to do this to begin with

Reactions: ElectricPolice
Agreed that moaning about it doesn’t solve the problem, however if I knew IO was proven to be so unreliable I would have thought twice prior to switching or having to think about workarounds like disabling smart charging. I’m only a few weeks in and it’s not been the best experience so far.

I’d argue that if the charging schedules aren’t working as designed then the product isn’t fit for purpose. I’ll probably just disable the smart charging from now on for simplicity but we shouldn’t have to do this to begin with
Move back over to Go without penalty. By signing up to the beta, you're agreeing to using it as Octopus want you to, warts and all.

Maybe we can help diagnose for you though? Do you ever have issues with your home location being incorrect in the Tesla app? Are all your smart features and schedules off on your EVSE and in the car. What charger did you onboard with in the setup process? Apologies if you've answered some/all of these alreadt

I only switched from Go to IO yesterday. Woke up to my car at 99% SoC. An hour or two later this morning, it was 98%.

I seem to be experiencing a bit of draining since engaging Octopus with the Tesla account. Will see how I get on for a couple of days, but if I don’t use my car and it’s sat on the drive costing more money than it does to drive it each day, I may move back to Go.

Am I right in thinking you can just schedule charging yourself from 11:30pm to 5:30pm, or MUST you use the smart scheduling from Octopus on IO? Just curious, and happy to trial IO for what it is :)

I only switched from Go to IO yesterday. Woke up to my car at 99% SoC. An hour or two later this morning, it was 98%.

I seem to be experiencing a bit of draining since engaging Octopus with the Tesla account. Will see how I get on for a couple of days, but if I don’t use my car and it’s sat on the drive costing more money than it does to drive it each day, I may move back to Go.

Am I right in thinking you can just schedule charging yourself from 11:30pm to 5:30pm, or MUST you use the smart scheduling from Octopus on IO? Just curious, and happy to trial IO for what it is :)
You can just schedule it yourself most of the time, the octopus T&C's require you to do a smart charge at least once a month

Move back over to Go without penalty. By signing up to the beta, you're agreeing to using it as Octopus want you to, warts and all.

Maybe we can help diagnose for you though? Do you ever have issues with your home location being incorrect in the Tesla app? Are all your smart features and schedules off on your EVSE and in the car. What charger did you onboard with in the setup process? Apologies if you've answered some/all of these alreadt
Might be the next option if things can’t be resolved. Do appreciate that it’s beta and things can go wrong etc.

Not had an issue with the home location being wrong as far as I can see. I double checked this morning and all schedules are selected off on both the car and EVSE. I’m using an Andersen A2 and onboarded with this. I did notice the smart charge slots generated last night seemed a bit short to reach the desired SoC. Wonder if it’s worth trying the onboarding process again?

Might be the next option if things can’t be resolved. Do appreciate that it’s beta and things can go wrong etc.

Not had an issue with the home location being wrong as far as I can see. I double checked this morning and all schedules are selected off on both the car and EVSE. I’m using an Andersen A2 and onboarded with this. I did notice the smart charge slots generated last night seemed a bit short to reach the desired SoC. Wonder if it’s worth trying the onboarding process again?
So I'm trying to drag up some distant memories here but there was at least one charger in the database - and it may have been the Anderson - that was on Octopus' list as the 3-phase variant, so IO always thought you had 11kW on tap which caused some problems with hitting the requested SoC as you can imagine.

It might well be worth re-running the onboarding. Select "Generic 7.4kW charger". You will not lose any functionality by doing so. And I'm teaching you to suck eggs here, but make sure you pick the correct Tesla variant so it knows what battery capacity you have :)

I use android not IOS.
My podpoint is also 5 years old. So try this and I am not talking down to you or questioning your intelligence.
Don’t forget this.
Look at the schedule as all week, don’t focus on one day. For example you can’t change any day to start at 23:30 because you have the next day set to start at 00:00 and so on and so on. You can’t have two starts on one day neither can you have one start override another. As you look at your schedule 00:00-05:30 each start finish time is shown on one day.

So to change it do the following.

Start on Monday and change start time to 23:30 and you will notice the 05:30 stop time has changed to 23:45. DON’T SAVE IT.

Move on to Tuesday and do the same again. Then every day to Sunday doing the same again and DON'T SAVE IT.

Now you are on Sunday and the stop time is showing as 23:45 change that to 05:30 DON'T SAVE IT and now work backwards Saturday to Monday NOT forwards and change all the stop times to 05:30 until you are back on Monday and when you have changed that to 05:30 now PRESS THE SAVE button.

Now when you look at the schedule. each day is shown to start that day but to the right of the end time it now shows the next day greyed out. If you need to change again to other times do similar and remember to look at the schedule as a week not just one day.
You’re absolutely spot on. It wasn’t letting me do it as it won’t let you overlap schedules.

I changed them all to 1000-1015 and was able to then set them all to 2330-0530. Thanks for the tip!

So I'm trying to drag up some distant memories here but there was at least one charger in the database - and it may have been the Anderson - that was on Octopus' list as the 3-phase variant, so IO always thought you had 11kW on tap which caused some problems with hitting the requested SoC as you can imagine.

It might well be worth re-running the onboarding. Select "Generic 7.4kW charger". You will not lose any functionality by doing so. And I'm teaching you to suck eggs here, but make sure you pick the correct Tesla variant so it knows what battery capacity you have :)
Thanks, I’ll give this a go later using the 7.4kW generic charger and see if it makes a difference. Wondering now if it was indeed the 11kW version that was onboarded - would certainly make a lot of sense!

If I turn IO off in the IO app, can I assume I will still get the same cheap rate power 23:30-05:30 as previously?

I'm fine with having the IO switched on most of the time and accept its a beta set up, so charging (at least in my case) is a bit haphazard, but there are occasions when I really do need to have the car fully charged.

If I turn IO off in the IO app, can I assume I will still get the same cheap rate power 23:30-05:30 as previously?

I'm fine with having the IO switched on most of the time and accept its a beta set up, so charging (at least in my case) is a bit haphazard, but there are occasions when I really do need to have the car fully charged.
Yes. You get off-peak 2330-0530 no matter what.