Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
With 100% in Tesla app I often catch my S charging in peak shortly after plugging in without IO stopping it quickly enough or at all.
Yes this is a pain, it used to be instant. But over the last 6 months there seems to be a delay of upto 20 minutes. I just let mine charge for a minute and stop the charge. The plan then gets scheduled by IO after a little bit.

i really struggle to understand Octopus sometimes... other than their inability to fix my smart meters...

I always kept 100% in the Octopus app and adjusted car charge level only. Now it started to display that "your car charge level lower than in app".
OK, it is. So I said, let's try again: 90% on the app, 80% on the car. After full night charge: SOC is 77%

I mean, the main reason I use to have 100% in the Octopus app is that it is the only way to get desired SOC what I set in the car... I wonder if Octopus will ever sort this out :/
Do it the other way round: set the car to 100% (or something above the desired amount) and the Octopus app to the desired amount. I think they may have changed their logic recently (it was buggy a month or so ago for me and OK now so I assume they've been making backend changes).

Reactions: Leejmoff
just a question regarding this:

I am planning to have my solar + batteries to sit after consuming unit and my car charger is before - so in essence my batteries/inverter should not see the charger. If I need to charge anything during the day with the sun I am planning to install commado socket and to use UMC with commando adapter to trickle at 3.7 kw (16 A).

Is this similar to what you have set up for one of your inverters with 9.6 kwh batteries?
Yes, after the smart meter. That inverter/9.6kW batteries is wired into the consumer unit so the meter measures it purely as 'house load' & car charging has no impact on the battery SOC.

The rest of my system (5.2kW PV/Hybrid inverter/6.7kW batteries & Zappi Charger) is wired directly to the smart meter. Because the Zappi monitors solar input, Eco+ mode car charging never drains these batteries and if charged overnight using IO/7kWh fast mode, block discharge on the inverter also means that the house batteries aren't drained.

I recommend you check that any inverters proposed for your system have a facility to set at least one block discharge period via the inverter app so that if you need to charge the batteries with IO during winter etc; house load & battery charging will all come from grid during the blocked period. Otherwise the batteries may fill and then be used to supply the house, possibly topping up again as SOC drops slightly (I set both my inverters to block 23.30-05.30 so at 23.30 the batteries start to refill & the house load is also covered by grid, then once the batteries are full which is a max of 3 hours, they remain dormant until 05.30 during which time the house demand is also covered by IO off-peak).

Yes, after the smart meter. That inverter/9.6kW batteries is wired into the consumer unit so the meter measures it purely as 'house load' & car charging has no impact on the battery SOC.

The rest of my system (5.2kW PV/Hybrid inverter/6.7kW batteries & Zappi Charger) is wired directly to the smart meter. Because the Zappi monitors solar input, Eco+ mode car charging never drains these batteries and if charged overnight using IO/7kWh fast mode, block discharge on the inverter also means that the house batteries aren't drained.

I recommend you check that any inverters proposed for your system have a facility to set at least one block discharge period via the inverter app so that if you need to charge the batteries with IO during winter etc; house load & battery charging will all come from grid during the blocked period. Otherwise the batteries may fill and then be used to supply the house, possibly topping up again as SOC drops slightly (I set both my inverters to block 23.30-05.30 so at 23.30 the batteries start to refill & the house load is also covered by grid, then once the batteries are full which is a max of 3 hours, they remain dormant until 05.30 during which time the house demand is also covered by IO off-peak).
yeah... the same idea. thanks.

When integrated my podpoint with octopus intelligent I found the delay to activate the charger meant that the car didn't follow the intelligent schedules.

It just used the 6 hour slot. If you sort it, please let me know.
First charge tonight with the Home Assistant automation. Appears to have gone well...

1. Octopus intelligent slot sensor switched to an on state
  2. The on state told the Pod Point to allow charging immediately
  3. Pod Point status changed to charging immediately
  4. Three minute delay until the car accepted the charge.
Not sure what the 3 min delay is about but suspect that's to do with Octopus confirming it should be charging at that time. There was a 504 in the Tesla app between 11.30am-11.33am

Main thing for me is that when I plugged the car in this evening, no power was delivered and I didn't have to remember to disable the charge.

1683067195225.png1683067228751.png

Just need to test the 2nd part of the automation in the morning to ensure the Pod Point toggles off allow charging.

Reactions: Bacon
First charge tonight with the Home Assistant automation. Appears to have gone well...

1. Octopus intelligent slot sensor switched to an on state
  2. The on state told the Pod Point to allow charging immediately
  3. Pod Point status changed to charging immediately
  4. Three minute delay until the car accepted the charge.
Not sure what the 3 min delay is about but suspect that's to do with Octopus confirming it should be charging at that time. There was a 504 in the Tesla app between 11.30am-11.33am

Main thing for me is that when I plugged the car in this evening, no power was delivered and I didn't have to remember to disable the charge.

View attachment 933984View attachment 933985

Just need to test the 2nd part of the automation in the morning to ensure the Pod Point toggles off allow charging.
The 3 minute delay is likely the time before the Pod Point polled the server to pull the latest instructions.

Reactions: duncans
I think setting up HomeAssistant with Givenergy and Octopus could be a steep learning curve as there's no complete integration available.

Quite a few moving parts and you'll probably need to write some scripts. I don't have home batteries so no personal experience of this.
I would like to thank you and @Bacon too. Home Assistant is a bit niche and it is really helpful to see other users approach to problems. Have you got one of the Octopus mini dongle things?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bacon and Medved_77
I’m still on Go Faster tariff (8:30 -12:30) which expires 16th May, so switching to IO. My current procedure if I have the car plugged in, is to set the Powerwall reserve to say 15% so that it doesn’t get completely drained, haven’t found another way to block discharge. Does the Octopus app offer some control to achieve this? Or any other ideas?

I’m still on Go Faster tariff (8:30 -12:30) which expires 16th May, so switching to IO. My current procedure if I have the car plugged in, is to set the Powerwall reserve to say 15% so that it doesn’t get completely drained, haven’t found another way to block discharge. Does the Octopus app offer some control to achieve this? Or any other ideas?
you can take into account that if you will have IO your charging time will be 23:30 - 05:30.

can you set that PW would not discharge at that particular time?

Have you got one of the Octopus mini dongle things?
I haven't. Only had a quick look at them but was put off by the connection to the Octopus platform. I'd rather use a device over LAN that isn't tied to a particular energy provider, something like the Shelly Pro 4PM.

Additionally, Octopus seem to slowly be withdrawing functionality for the SMETS1 smart meter that I have, so not even sure if the Octopus Mini would work for me. I haven't been able to see daily readings in the Octopus app for several months and their API used for the home assistant integration has now stopped reporting daily consumption, so other than the Tesla consumption, I really don't know what I'm using until I get my bill at the end of the month. Octopus also have no upgrade path from SMETS1 to SMETS2 which is why the Shelly is looking more and more appealing.

The Powerwall discharges into any load up to 5kw. No control of time.
There is Time-based Control, where you specify the import/export prices and start/end times of peak/off-peak and it will let the grid charge the car rather than discharging.

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 11.25.41 am.jpg
The issue is it won't know about any extra slots outside of the 23:30-0530 window if you're using Intelligent, so will discharge during those unless you limit it using the Backup Reserve slider. I have an automation in Home Assistant that does this automatically.

Additionally, Octopus seem to slowly be withdrawing functionality for the SMETS1 smart meter that I have, so not even sure if the Octopus Mini would work for me. I haven't been able to see daily readings in the Octopus app for several months and their API used for the home assistant integration has now stopped reporting daily consumption, so other than the Tesla consumption, I really don't know what I'm using until I get my bill at the end of the month. Octopus also have no upgrade path from SMETS1 to SMETS2 which is why the Shelly is looking more and more appealing.
That’s odd. I have a Secure SMETS1 meter Octopus fitted a few years back and it seems to be working correctly. The app shows my daily consumption and the HA integration also shows the daily usage/history.

Which SMETS1 meter do you have?

That’s odd. I have a Secure SMETS1 meter Octopus fitted a few years back and it seems to be working correctly. The app shows my daily consumption and the HA integration also shows the daily usage/history.

Which SMETS1 meter do you have?
Sorry got confused. It's the gas meter that isn't reporting in the app, due to a move from reporting in m³ to kWh.

I need to revisit the HA integration as I suspect those are set up to report values in m³ as well.

Sorry got confused. It's the gas meter that isn't reporting in the app, due to a move from reporting in m³ to kWh.

I need to revisit the HA integration as I suspect those are set up to report values in m³ as well.
Just had a quick look at the gas and that also seems to be working for us. Is it perchance if something goes wrong with a SMETS1 meter Octopus can’t be bothered to fix it?

Just had a quick look at the gas and that also seems to be working for us. Is it perchance if something goes wrong with a SMETS1 meter Octopus can’t be bothered to fix it?

This is the reply I got from Octopus when I enquired about it:

Essentially as you have the older generation of smart meter we're a bit limited in the support we can offer. The government haven't announced any plans to upgrade customers on first generation to second generation meters.

As an alternative, to conserve resources and limit the environmental impact of binning these older meters, they are enrolling them to the same centralised database second gen meters use. As part of this enrolment, the gas meters have a know error whereby when enrolled, the meters go from reporting the half hourly data in m3 to kWh. This then leads to this info not displaying on your app / website. It may resume functionality, but we're not able to provide a timeframe on when this will happen.

To which I replied...

It's not that it's never worked though, but its stopped. Has something changed on your end to stop taking the readings? Also, do I need to submit manual readings now?

And they responded:

So previously it will have been "un-enroled" so to speak, but through enrolment has lost the ability to transmit the half hourly data (or rather, has moved from m3 to kWh). This only affects the app / website, we are still connected to the meter for the purpose of meter readings / billing.

So yes, something broke during transition and they don't seem too bothered about resolving it.

Gas meter is an EG4V10.

I'm also at a bit of a loss regarding daily consumption data (other than electricity through the app) as I used to get that through Home Assistant with the bottlecapdave integration as this was updated recently to only support readings in kWh. Both of my smart meters report their usage in m3.

I'm also at a bit of a loss regarding daily consumption data (other than electricity through the app) as I used to get that through Home Assistant with the bottlecapdave integration as this was updated recently to only support readings in kWh. Both of my smart meters report their usage in m3.
I'm always puzzled why the Octopus app shows both electric & gas as kWh (with gas also available as £) yet on the web browser only electricity is reported as kWh, gas is shown there as m3. Surely they could show the same conversions as they already have this for the app?

(SMETS 2 meter, 30 min readings & also an Octopus Home Mini reporting electricity with 10sec live updates on the Octopus app)

I’ve been on Intelligent Octopus a couple of weeks. I stop the charge via the Tesla app
as soon as I plug in otherwise I get charged peak rate.

It seems to take ages for schedule to appear in the app. It’s been nearly an hour and no schedule yet.

Does it take this long for other people normally?

I’ve been on Intelligent Octopus a couple of weeks. I stop the charge via the Tesla app
as soon as I plug in otherwise I get charged peak rate.

It seems to take ages for schedule to appear in the app. It’s been nearly an hour and no schedule yet.

Does it take this long for other people normally?
Yes, quite frequently & if I get fed up with the wait I repeat the process before going to bed which often gives a schedule within minutes.