Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just switched, still waiting for all the background changes to happen, but went ahead and set up IO. Can I just confirm (if I was actually on octopus) that the result of this:
Screenshot_2023-07-21-23-50-12-15_903d05fe1ae9780ffdf8ae337b6c882e.jpg

On the electric tariff would be
Default cheap rate from 11:30 through to 5:30, and additional cheap slots 6-6:30 and 7-7:30?

I will also be trying to balance a heat pump come winter, so this could be good!

For tonight while I'm still on the old E7 I have a manual charge for the car starting at midnight. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out this eve! Will octopus intervene to try and stop it charging? Again, I have a house battery to manually control around the car charging to stop the car emptying that 😒.

I've just switched, still waiting for all the background changes to happen, but went ahead and set up IO. Can I just confirm (if I was actually on octopus) that the result of this:
View attachment 958473
Default cheap rate from 11:30 through to 5:30, and additional cheap slots 6-6:30 and 7-7:30?

I will also be trying to balance a heat pump come winter, so this could be good!

For tonight while I'm still on the old E7 I have a manual charge for the car starting at midnight. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out this eve! Will octopus intervene to try and stop it charging? Again, I have a house battery to manually control around the car charging to stop the car emptying that 😒.
Yes this schedule will give those additional off-peak slots. This also suggests the changeover has happened so you are no longer on E7

Reactions: Avendit
I joined Octopus IO yesterday and successfully got a test charge but as I didn't need any charge I unplugged my (Tesla) wall charger and the car wasn't going to sleep so 'disconnected' the car from IO.

Used enough juice today to warrant a top up charge so at various times today I tried to use the App to turn IO back on but sometimes took ages to log me in and was not even showing 'devices' :(

Eventually managed to log in and reconnect IO, turned off timed charging in the car and then plugged in the car charger - it started charging for a few moment then I 'stopped charge' in the car.

Tried to use the App again several times without success and at one point got a notification bubble about some charging slots so tapped on it to find out more but it took me to a duff App connection again with no devices showing.

Eventually got into the App and it's showing the "plug in and we'll create a charging schedule" - but it is plugged in now and the info in the notification I received disappeared and there's no reference to a schedule.

Where does the charging schedule appear?
The app has been playing up a bit this week.
I had a lot of issues connecting to the app albeit it may have been my mobile signal/Wi-Fi connection and I was out of the UK but the car was at home.
it got better a few hours later

My E7 is a different provider, only started the provider switch yesterday. So probably not on octopus yet!

Let us know how long the switchover takes. 👍🏻

I’m still waiting for my export MPAN. (I was waiting to switch to IO when I’ve got all the info I need.) Is this MPAN something that is issued when the DNO ‘acknowledges’ your installation is complete? When/ Where does it come from?

The weather forecast looks a bit pants this upcoming week 😳, so might switch sooner anyway.

Let us know how long the switchover takes. 👍🏻

I’m still waiting for my export MPAN. (I was waiting to switch to IO when I’ve got all the info I need.) Is this MPAN something that is issued when the DNO ‘acknowledges’ your installation is complete? When/ Where does it come from?

The weather forecast looks a bit pants this upcoming week 😳, so might switch sooner anyway.
My export MPAN took a fair while to come through. You will get credit for all your exports btw, in a big lump in the first month, so don't worry about that. I've stuck with So.energy for so long to let all that arrive and settle (they did my solar install). Haven't started the process of moving the export meter over to Octo yet - need to get into the options and check it would work for me. More spreadsheeting needed I guess.

Yes this schedule will give those additional off-peak slots. …

Don’t rely on the extra slots being off peak though and setting something else to use lots of energy in them. I’ve seen the charge schedule change from the original charge plan to a different plan come charge time and even I think change mid charge - certainly charge plan now seems to adapt mid charge to accommodate better how the charge is actually progressing. I’ve lost slots at end that were listed in original charge plan because my charge finished earlier than expected, ie a BMS recalibration gave me a few extra % in battery before charge started (and sometimes takes them away after charge finishes!). This is more noticeable on a slow charge rate where a few % battery can be a charge slot or twos worth.

Also not unusual for IO to plan a late start (well into off peak) which results in a scheduled finish into what would normally be peak. I guess IO does this to accommodate other more important factors that’s not just consumer pricing, particularly carbon intensity.

Nice to have ability for a cheap cuppa or toast in the morning, but don’t rely on it!

For other devices the only off peak that you can rely on is the 23:30-05:30.

Don’t rely on the extra slots being off peak though and setting something else to use lots of energy in them. I’ve seen the charge schedule change from the original charge plan to a different plan come charge time and even I think change mid charge - certainly charge plan now seems to adapt mid charge to accommodate better how the charge is actually progressing. I’ve lost slots at end that were listed in original charge plan because my charge finished earlier than expected, ie a BMS recalibration gave me a few extra % in battery before charge started (and sometimes takes them away after charge finishes!). This is more noticeable on a slow charge rate where a few % battery can be a charge slot or twos worth.

Also not unusual for IO to plan a late start (well into off peak) which results in a scheduled finish into what would normally be peak. I guess IO does this to accommodate other more important factors that’s not just consumer pricing, particularly carbon intensity.

Nice to have ability for a cheap cuppa or toast in the morning, but don’t rely on it!

Cheers for the heads up. The extra slots are nice extras for the heatpump in the winter more than anything to be relied upon.

I have had a few draining issues recently when the car is plugged in but no scheduled charge overnight and I lose quite a bit of range.
I left it unplugged last night and range had not changed overnight, so I still think there is an issue when the car doesn’t charge using a schedule overnight.
Your car could be awake for all sorts of reasons. It's nothing to do with IO.

I poll kraken at the start of every 1/2hr period to check

Reactions: Cardo and MrBadger
It only happens, at home, when the car is plugged in and IO has been engaged.
The thing is, the old IO keep-awake bug only manifested when the car wasn't plugged in.

So it's either an entirely new bug or something correlated but not causing the keep awake. There are no other reports of cars being kept awake on the Octopus forums.

Last edited:
I switched from Go Faster to Intelligent a couple of days ago on my M3P. It went fairly seemlessly in the App except that I have an old dumb Rolec charger (c. 2016) and as I expected there was no option to choose that. I went for a wall socket which it accepted and the switch completed. It did the test charge and all seemed OK and it charged at 32A no problem. However I prefer not to charge at 32A because of other loads on the old plastic consumer unit. Batteries, dishwasher etc so I normally limit it to 24A in the car settings.

However, Intelligent charging is now restricted to 16A, should I have selected Comando plug ? If so how do I change it ?

The thing is, the old IO keep-awake bug only manifested when the car wasn't plugged in.

So it's either an entirely new bug or something correlated but not causing the keep awake. There are no other reports of cars being kept awake on the Octopus forums.
When it isn’t plugged in, it seems to be fine.
its only been happening at home and when connected to the charger. I did leave it connected to the charger but disabled in the octopus app and it still drained a bit but not sure it was as much.
More investigation needed I think but the only way to not have the battery drain is if it is unplugged, which in the summer isn’t too much of an issue as I don’t need it charged that much.

My export MPAN took a fair while to come through. You will get credit for all your exports btw, in a big lump in the first month, so don't worry about that. I've stuck with So.energy for so long to let all that arrive and settle (they did my solar install). Haven't started the process of moving the export meter over to Octo yet - need to get into the options and check it would work for me. More spreadsheeting needed I guess.

How long is “a fair while’? Several weeks, months?

I guess if I was to switch to Octopus now then I won’t be getting any of my export back from OVO though. Still it’s only 150kW and that’s £6. So it won’t break me 😂
How much were SoEnergy paying for export?