Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m assuming you mean MWh rather than mWh! ;)

How on earth do you use that much?! I though my 2.1 MWh last December were impressive…
our house is a reasonable size and 90 years old plus my wife isn’t happy unless it’s 22°c+.
when she says it’s chilly and the thermostat says 23.9 what can you do 🤷🏻‍♂️
anyone that can take a hot water bottle to bed when it’s 25c outside is always a bit chilly 😁
I did have old radiators, which have been replaced for heat pump designed use over the summer, and although they have not had much use so far they seem a lot more efficient. They also contain 90% less water so I hope the UF heating and radiators are easier to balance as with the old gas boiler it was difficult to manage. Lots of additions to the existing building hasn’t helped either with pipe runs etc
hopefully I’ll use less but several free car chargers nearby have vanished so I’ll be charging the cars at home more

IO charge failed .
Tesla Service analysed car remotely and suggested noise on the mains .
Recently fitted powerline internet distribution on a different ring main to the chargers .
Last night disconnected the powerline and IO charge was successful .
So worth looking at if you have charging problems with IO

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
IO charge failed .
Recently fitted powerline internet distribution on a different ring main to the chargers .
I have power line adapters - in essence there is consumer unit between lines with them and charger. never had single issue...

IO charge failed .
I’m lost. How would “noise on the mains” cause an IO charge to fail?

I’ve been with octopus since I got my first EV 3 1/2 years ago and applied for export octopus, as an existing customer, earlier this week.
I received an email from octopus welcoming me as a customer yesterday 🤷🏻‍♂️, nothing has changed on my account but I’m hoping that export is set up but can’t see anything anywhere to confirm this.
anyone have any ideas?

Signed up for outgoing yesterday 😁. With my current system I don’t think I would export that much especially when it’s colder but the summer should be quite lucrative hopefully.
it will be interesting to see how I go with the extra batteries but I used 3.5 mWh per month in the coldest months last year.
my installer is liaising with GivEnergy to sort out the best way to go, im thinking another 2 x 9.5s although I could consider a 13.5, either one or two of them depending on cost

If you already have an export MPAN it could be fairly quick (like days or a week) . If you don’t, it’ll take a lot longer.

Mine took 6 weeks. (Applied 1st August - active 15th September). That was applying for export from scratch without previously having an export MPAN but already being an Octopus customer for import.

You’ll get an email from Octopus saying
“Action: Your Export tariff is now up and running” in the heading when it’s all set up.

Also you’ll see the export tariff in the billing/usage section of the app, where you’ll see your export numbers (if any in winter !)

Reactions: Yuff
If you already have an export MPAN it could be fairly quick (like days or a week) . If you don’t, it’ll take a lot longer.

Mine took 6 weeks. (Applied 1st August - active 15th September). That was applying for export from scratch without previously having an export MPAN but already being an Octopus customer for import.

You’ll get an email from Octopus saying
“Action: Your Export tariff is now up and running” in the heading when it’s all set up.

Also you’ll see the export tariff in the billing/usage section of the app, where you’ll see your export numbers (if any in winter !)
Thanks Pete, I have an export MPAN but didn’t put it in the box as didn’t read the letter properly, whilst I was putting all the info in the application page.
Whereabouts in the app would it be?
on my phone app I have usage and that just says my 2 tariffs, IO GO AND octopus tracker for gas. Haven’t used any gas for a year but my wife wants to keep the gas fire 🤦🏻‍♂️ and bills but that just shows payments, balance and actual bill.

Reactions: Pete UK
Thanks Pete, I have an export MPAN but didn’t put it in the box as didn’t read the letter properly, whilst I was putting all the info in the application page.
Whereabouts in the app would it be?
on my phone app I have usage and that just says my 2 tariffs, IO GO AND octopus tracker for gas. Haven’t used any gas for a year but my wife wants to keep the gas fire 🤦🏻‍♂️ and bills but that just shows payments, balance and actual bill.

Do you mean where is the export MPAN shown in the Octopus app?

Click on “Usage” at the bottom or “view tariff” in the middle near the top.

- It won’t show there until you’re all set up and running for export though. Then the export MPAN will show up under the “kWh/£” in the top RHS of the tariff page (same place as where it shows the MPAN for your electricity import and gas import tariffs.)
Basically you’ll then see 3 tariffs listed instead of two.

When you’ve got the email from Octopus saying export is up and running you’ll see these three tariffs in the billing section;

“Outgoing Octopus 12M fixed”
“Intelligent Octopus GO”
“Flexible Octopus” - or “tracker Octopus” in your case.

They need the export MPAN though, so if you didn’t give it to them you’ll need to contact them or re-apply online.

Calling is probably better than email. I think the email replies are AI generated. Re-applying online should work too (as it’s the weekend). Then hopefully you’ll have your export up and running in a couple of days. Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Reactions: Yuff
Do you mean where is the export MPAN shown in the Octopus app?

Click on “Usage” at the bottom or “view tariff” in the middle near the top.

- It won’t show there until you’re all set up and running for export though. Then the export MPAN will show up under the “kWh/£” in the top RHS of the tariff page (same place as where it shows the MPAN for your electricity import and gas import tariffs.)
Basically you’ll then see 3 tariffs listed instead of two.

When you’ve got the email from Octopus saying export is up and running you’ll see these three tariffs in the billing section;

“Outgoing Octopus 12M fixed”
“Intelligent Octopus GO”
“Flexible Octopus” - or “tracker Octopus” in your case.

They need the export MPAN though, so if you didn’t give it to them you’ll need to contact them or re-apply online.

Calling is probably better than email. I think the email replies are AI generated. Re-applying online should work too (as it’s the weekend). Then hopefully you’ll have your export up and running in a couple of days. Let us know how you get on. Good luck.
Thanks Pete, I’ll give it a go now 😁

Attachments

• IMG_6320.jpeg
    IMG_6320.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 68
our house is a reasonable size and 90 years old plus my wife isn’t happy unless it’s 22°c+.
when she says it’s chilly and the thermostat says 23.9 what can you do 🤷🏻‍♂️
anyone that can take a hot water bottle to bed when it’s 25c outside is always a bit chilly 😁
I did have old radiators, which have been replaced for heat pump designed use over the summer, and although they have not had much use so far they seem a lot more efficient. They also contain 90% less water so I hope the UF heating and radiators are easier to balance as with the old gas boiler it was difficult to manage. Lots of additions to the existing building hasn’t helped either with pipe runs etc
hopefully I’ll use less but several free car chargers nearby have vanished so I’ll be charging the cars at home more
We used 1.9MWh in January, which was our highest monthly reading over winter. Our heating is purely by air-air-souced heat pumps with no radiators; we are all electric. The powerwalls helped by shifting costs from peak to off-peak rates. 3.5MWh is a lot though.

We used 1.9MWh in January, which was our highest monthly reading over winter. Our heating is purely by air-air-souced heat pumps with no radiators; we are all electric. The powerwalls helped by shifting costs from peak to off-peak rates. 3.5MWh is a lot though.
Just checked our usage, and we used 33 kWh more in January than December 3.355 MWh and 3.322 MWh.
Although as this was all new to me batteries, IO etc I wasn’t using everything efficiently and i was constrained, on usage, during the off peak hours as I had blown the mains fuse when I had everything on during the night in Nov, car charger, hot water, heating etc
national grid discovered a hidden 60 amp fuse which has been replaced with a 100 amp fuse. But I am still careful with car charging as our garage has a 30 amp limit and sometimes we have 2 EVs charging so I turn the charging down on both of them otherwise it trips the main fuse board.
I hope with more efficient radiators and better understanding of the system I will use less energy this year.Most of the usage is off peak. Octopus export should help us lower the cost further.

Reactions: RedMod3
Just checked our usage, and we used 33 kWh more in January than December 3.355 MWh and 3.322 MWh.
Although as this was all new to me batteries, IO etc I wasn’t using everything efficiently and i was constrained, on usage, during the off peak hours as I had blown the mains fuse when I had everything on during the night in Nov, car charger, hot water, heating etc
national grid discovered a hidden 60 amp fuse which has been replaced with a 100 amp fuse. But I am still careful with car charging as our garage has a 30 amp limit and sometimes we have 2 EVs charging so I turn the charging down on both of them otherwise it trips the main fuse board.
I hope with more efficient radiators and better understanding of the system I will use less energy this year.Most of the usage is off peak. Octopus export should help us lower the cost further.
Sounds like your electrics might need an upgrade.
For an all-electric house 60A seems REALLY tight!

Sounds like your electrics might need an upgrade.
For an all-electric house 60A seems REALLY tight!
It was very tight, but the 60 amp fuse was hidden behind some boxing and national grid bypassed the old fuse and upgraded it to 100 amp.
quite a bit of work involved and on a portable generator for a few days.
it was pretty dangerous, what the previous owners had done in terms of electrics, as it could have caused a fire, luckily all sorted now and a bit more headroom for power usage.

Reactions: ACarneiro and goRt
We have a 100A fuse, but when the air-con is running in the coldest of winters and the immersion is heating the water, I would blow our 100A fuse if I was charging at 7kW, so I now have an extra Zappi which will limit the load taken by our property to only 95A.

We have a 100A fuse, but when the air-con is running in the coldest of winters and the immersion is heating the water, I would blow our 100A fuse if I was charging at 7kW, so I now have an extra Zappi which will limit the load taken by our property to only 95A.
Eh?
7kW is 32A, that still leaves 68A for air con and immersion heater.
Have you some sort of non-standard heating element (I thought they were 3kW in the UK) or a massive Air Con unit?