Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
IOG Zappi integration.... anyone found the slots being a bit generous with the our of hours slots offered?

For example, missus car needed 40-50% so set it to 50%, and ready by of 5:30am (I don't want to be coordinating the PWs at silly o-clock thanks).... plugged in just after 10am, thinking it'd do all the charging in the 23:30-05:30 slot. It offered, I kid you not, 10:00-12:00, 14:50-16:00, 21:30-23:30 and 23:30-05:30. And watching it, hardly did any charging in those "daytime slots".

And this isn't just a one off, every time I've plugged in, even when set to less than 50% needed (because I don't need 50%), it's offered slots starting in the evening, rather than just the 23:30-05:30. Seems to be being overly generous to me.

FWIW, there is zero, and I mean zero benefit to me getting early slots. Because of the way I live off the powerwalls, it literally costs no difference, and the PW can last all day. Thus I am not trying to get extra slots.

With the Zappi/IO integration can you really only tell it to add a certain percentage? That doesn’t seem very user friendly to me. If that’s the case, isn’t it better to stick with integrating the Tesla with IO instead of the Zappi. I’d much rather tell it to charge to a set target rather than having to work out what percentage needs adding every time I plug it in.

Or could you set the Zappi integration to add 100% but then limit the car to 80% for example? Or is that potentially gaming the system for extra cheap slots?

Solar and house battery go in next week and a full battery charged up overnight in the standard cheap slot will be enough for the following day so I won’t care about getting extra cheap slots or not.

I wonder why the Zappi has gone down this route? As far as I know the Ohme/IO integration let’s you set a target percentage.

The Zappi nor Octopus have any idea what your car is charged to. So their only option is to allow you tell them how much to add. On the "isn't it better", we'll get to that in a minute.

Yes, you can set the % to whatever you like and leave it there. I'd suggest that 100% is gaming the system, unless of course on a regular basis you charge from nigh on zero to 100%. I'd think more realistic would be setting 30/40/50, but it'll depend on each individual.

So back to the isn't the Tesla integration better? - In my view, no. Two things the Zappi integration does better:
1) Means you don't have to set a 23:30 start time in the car, or stop it charging when you plug in. Instead you just plug in, it won't start charging.
2) It generates the charging slots much much much quicker. With Tesla you could wait hours, turn on and off smart charging etc. With this, it'll be suggesting slots within minutes.

Fringe benefits are that there's no nagging, with the tesla integration IO will look at what you've asked, and what the car is set to and nag you. With Zappi it doesn't.

So on the whole I'd say the zappi integration is better. But it's horses for courses.

I don’t remember having most of those issues with the IO/Tesla integration. I did stop the immediate charge when plugging in but that was no big deal.

I’m on Octopus Tracker at the moment as it was working out a bit a cheaper overall than IO for me. But I will be going back to IO next week when the solar panels and PW2 are fitted. I’ll have to try the Zappi integration and see how it goes. Maybe it’s not as bad as it seems.

Reactions: phil4
Maybe its just me but I've had yet another overnight charge fail.

It seems to be completely random, the charge will start correctly, but stop at random times during the slots and not restart again. So I wake up with way less SOC than planned. Very annoying, nothing else is controlling the car, I can see on Teslamate the time at which it stops.
The charger is fine too, is I manually restart the charge in the Tesla app it resumes successfully.

It seems to be completely random, the charge will start correctly, but stop at random times during the slots and not restart again. So I wake up with way less SOC than planned. Very annoying, nothing else is controlling the car, I can see on Teslamate the time at which it stops.
The charger is fine too, is I manually restart the charge in the Tesla app it resumes successfully.
I got 23.44 yesterday and have been unable to wake the car with the app - that's on Tesla

I plugged in today at just after 11am and had a slot from 11am to 4.30pm and then from 8.30 until 4am.
I don’t think the car charged at all. I got SWMBO to unplug And plug the car back in, whilst I was out, and I stopped the charge straight away.
checked 2 mins later and it had started charge as per the original schedule. I cancelled the schedule and re-set it again to make sure and it seems to be working now.
No idea what happened but the charges do seem to be randomly stopping, for no apparent reason, more than they used to.

If really need a charge:

Turn off smart charging and schedule dumb charge 2330-0530. Works every time.

I have 7kW solar PV, Tesla PW2 and a 2022 M3LR doing 10k miles PA. I was on Octopus flexible from Oct 22- September 23 which worked well with the 15p export rate. I'm now on dumb Octopus GO and rarely use any grid outside the 4 hours cheap rate. Any export at this time of year is rare, but still I get 8p compared with 9p cheap rate import.

My question is, what benefit would I likely get from IO? I'll have to decide next spring whether to switch to a different tariff, the point being that I use virtually no grid from March to September, but I export around 1750kWh. If I go back on Flexible that's around £450 income... Would IO work well with in this situation?

I have 7kW solar PV, Tesla PW2 and a 2022 M3LR doing 10k miles PA. I was on Octopus flexible from Oct 22- September 23 which worked well with the 15p export rate. I'm now on dumb Octopus GO and rarely use any grid outside the 4 hours cheap rate. Any export at this time of year is rare, but still I get 8p compared with 9p cheap rate import.

My question is, what benefit would I likely get from IO? I'll have to decide next spring whether to switch to a different tariff, the point being that I use virtually no grid from March to September, but I export around 1750kWh. If I go back on Flexible that's around £450 income... Would IO work well with in this situation?
You can switch to IO in the winter and any other tariff in the summer. There is no minimum term on IO (or, for that matter, any Octopus tariffs as far as I know)

You can switch to IO in the winter and any other tariff in the summer. There is no minimum term on IO (or, for that matter, any Octopus tariffs as far as I know)

Except Tracker. From the FAQ:

There are no exit fees on Tracker. After leaving, you'll need to wait 9 months before switching back to Tracker, because switching back and forth between Tracker and more typical tariffs (that require us to buy wholesale energy in advance) is costly.

Charging overnight to 100% - need to leave at 6:30 to take my son to the airport. It’ll be cold so I’ll want to defrost in the morning when I get up and have breakfast

Will it do that using battery (preferred as it’ll have been cheap rate); or use the wall charger as it’s still plugged in (but will be 30p/kwh). The zappi will be in fast mode as IO in controlling through thr car

Charging overnight to 100% - need to leave at 6:30 to take my son to the airport. It’ll be cold so I’ll want to defrost in the morning when I get up and have breakfast

Will it do that using battery (preferred as it’ll have been cheap rate); or use the wall charger as it’s still plugged in (but will be 30p/kwh). The zappi will be in fast mode as IO in controlling through thr car
If you have the octopus app set to ready for 6:30 and 100% there is a good chance that you will have a slot until 6:30 and there for your preconditioning will come from the charger at the cheap rate but if outside the slot, it will be from the battery.

Edit - Didn't read correctly and thought you had IO through the zappi.... Might still apply...