Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Figured it out. DON'T GO TO ADD DEVICES in settings. Instead, scroll down on the home screen and find the Explore our Lab section. There's a panel that says "Intelligent Octopus Go for EVs". Hit the Get Started button and you're away.

Why oh why does it take someone from the smart team to tell me this very basic but misleading method of adding an EV. Why can't someone at the end of the phone at Octopus tell me??? Pretty astonishing lack of customer service there.
I wish I had that option mate. Been a week nOw no fix.

Morning all,

We are struggling somewhat with IO, in that unless we set scheduled charging via the Tesla app, the octopus app won’t charge the car over night. I tested again yesterday evening, with everything plugged in , scheduled charge off via the Tesla app, ( I have to stop the charge when initially plugging in via Tesla app it never stops on its own like the octopus says it should ) octopus app ready with the scheduled times for charging over night….. woke this morning , not charged. We joined about a week ago so am now convinced yes we have the cheap rate, but it’s been charging via the Tesla app not the octopus app.

few things, test charge was fine when first set up, the octopus app is def talking to the car as it dutifully creates a charging schedule when the cars plugged in, it also recognizes when the %’s are different.

would it make any difference that both me and my other half both have the teala app logged in on our phones , but the octopus app is only on her phone?

any ideas on what issue might be.? At the moment it’s not being very intelligent ….

Browelm - forgive me, I didn't realise you were from the energy provider police 😇

JS1977 - reducing the amperage does slow down charging (fact), giving you longer to 'top up' and allowing you to remain inside the cheap tarif (that is advertised) for longer.

As for the other replies - I leave you with this - IO is very good at what it does.............and what it could do.
Provided one 'fully understands' this, it is amazing what one can do and what one can get out of it ;) .
No, I don't think he's from the energy provider police, he's a guy who's trying to use the very generous tariff provided by Octopus fairly. It's people such as you who will f*** things up for all of us by trying to cheat the system. Hopefully, if you carry on, you'll get rumbled and thrown off the tariff. I hope so.

My experience of IO is the opposite in that Octopus itself reduces my charging current. I have it set to 32A in the Tesla Wall Connector but it always schedules 16A. I just let it do its thing.

On New Year’s Eve it scheduled my charge to finish at 0730 the following morning, so it certainly happens.
Am I reading this correctly, if it sets a schedule to end at 0730 in the morning I am not safe to assume that I will be getting cheap rate until 0730 as the charge session may finish at 0630.

Morning all,

We are struggling somewhat with IO, in that unless we set scheduled charging via the Tesla app, the octopus app won’t charge the car over night. I tested again yesterday evening, with everything plugged in , scheduled charge off via the Tesla app, ( I have to stop the charge when initially plugging in via Tesla app it never stops on its own like the octopus says it should ) octopus app ready with the scheduled times for charging over night….. woke this morning , not charged. We joined about a week ago so am now convinced yes we have the cheap rate, but it’s been charging via the Tesla app not the octopus app.

few things, test charge was fine when first set up, the octopus app is def talking to the car as it dutifully creates a charging schedule when the cars plugged in, it also recognizes when the %’s are different.

would it make any difference that both me and my other half both have the teala app logged in on our phones , but the octopus app is only on her phone?

any ideas on what issue might be.? At the moment it’s not being very intelligent ….
Quick test - When you have plugged in and stopped the charging using the Tesla APP can you start a boost using the Octopus APP? That will confirm if Octopus can control you cars charging...

It’s still broken for me using a granny charger.
To get slots in any reasonable time frame I have to turn off and on smart charging.

Then I can see in Teslamate before the window ends and the desired charge percentage is achieved the charge stops at a random time. Charger is fine, no reason why. If I go into the octopus app the slots are still there but charging has stopped. If I start the charge again in the Tesla app octopus stops it again….. 🤣

It’s still broken for me using a granny charger.
To get slots in any reasonable time frame I have to turn off and on smart charging.

Then I can see in Teslamate before the window ends and the desired charge percentage is achieved the charge stops at a random time. Charger is fine, no reason why. If I go into the octopus app the slots are still there but charging has stopped. If I start the charge again in the Tesla app octopus stops it again….. 🤣
This is fine.. It will sometimes stop the charge within your slots and then start again from what ive noticed and I use the actual charger for IO.

Ledzep - what are your settings in the TApp/schedule page;
I have: Under the 'Charge'tab: schedule charge is ON and start charging is at 2330.
Under the 'Departure' tab: Precondition: OFF (because its irrelevant anyway) and
Off-Peak charge: OFF

Morning all,

Looks as though the comms are a bit flaky. Do you ever have any issues with the Tesla app taking a long time to 'wake' your car or your location being misreported by the app?

A bit of troubleshooting I would do when you aren't desperate for a charge, and can afford for it to potentially miss a charge:

1) Make sure all you remove ALL schedules etc from the car.
2) Set the max charge in the car/app to 100%
3) You haven't mentioned what EVSE you have, but make sure ALL smart charging and schedules are removed from the device so it is effectively acting as a dumb charger
4) Create a charging request in the Octopus app, say 10-20% more than your current SoC so that you get a schedule. Set an appropriate end time, up to 11am the following day
5) Not critical normally, but for this troubleshooting plug in around 4pm.
6) Manually stop the charge that begins from the Tesla app - this will stop you being billed any peak use.
7) Now wait and be patient. A schedule is unlikely to appear immediately in the app. You may not even see anything until much later in the evening depending on the state of the servers, Tesla API responsiveness etc. etc.

Check whether your charge occurred. If you get any notifications in the Octopus app saying something like "Octopus couldn't control your charging equipment" this may point to either a temporary or more chronic issue with Octopus being able to get info from the Tesla API.

Edit: do not listen to people telling you to run schedules in the car, especially while you are troubleshooting.

Reactions: Roger20 and Ledzep
Looks as though the comms are a bit flaky. Do you ever have any issues with the Tesla app taking a long time to 'wake' your car or your location being misreported by the app?

A bit of troubleshooting I would do when you aren't desperate for a charge, and can afford for it to potentially miss a charge:

1) Make sure all you remove ALL schedules etc from the car.
2) Set the max charge in the car/app to 100%
3) You haven't mentioned what EVSE you have, but make sure ALL smart charging and schedules are removed from the device so it is effectively acting as a dumb charger
4) Create a charging request in the Octopus app, say 10-20% more than your current SoC so that you get a schedule. Set an appropriate end time, up to 11am the following day
5) Not critical normally, but for this troubleshooting plug in around 4pm.
6) Manually stop the charge that begins from the Tesla app - this will stop you being billed any peak use.
7) Now wait and be patient. A schedule is unlikely to appear immediately in the app. You may not even see anything until much later in the evening depending on the state of the servers, Tesla API responsiveness etc. etc.

Check whether your charge occurred. If you get any notifications in the Octopus app saying something like "Octopus couldn't control your charging equipment" this may point to either a temporary or more chronic issue with Octopus being able to get info from the Tesla API.

Edit: do not listen to people telling you to run schedules in the car, especially while you are troubleshooting.
Thanks @browellm ! Will try

we have a podpoint and yes set to dumb.

It sometimes takes awhile to wake but not always, but location is never wrong👍

Reactions: browellm
Morning all,

You could try disconnecting the car as a device in the octopus app and re- adding it.

You can have the Octopus app on two phones at the same time. Just log in using the same credentials on your phone.
Whoever makes the last change it should reflect on both Octopus apps

Also with 2 users on the Tesla app.

Reactions: Ledzep
Has anyone else ever had alerts from the Octopus app in the middle of an overnight charging session saying “Unable to control your device”?
The Octopus app is controlling IO via my Tesla M3 as I have a dumb charger.

This is the schedule that it was due to follow:
IMG_0071.jpeg

And this is a screenshot of the alerts from the app:
IMG_0072.jpeg

The Tesla was fully charged this morning, so I guess that they were stop commands that they were sending.

Reactions: Pete UK
Mine has been playing up the last couple of nights. It's always worked perfectly up til the last few days. Mine is connected to my Wallbox charger and it maps a charge as it should when first connected to the car. However it is then failing to start the charge at the mapped time slot. It failed to start again last night so I have disabled smart charging for now and gone back to scheduled charging in the car. I did try to 'bump charge' when it was supposed to have started charging but it said it had failed so I guess there is a communication issue somewhere and the messages aren't being sent or aren't getting through to the Wallbox.

Mine has been playing up the last couple of nights. It's always worked perfectly up til the last few days. Mine is connected to my Wallbox charger and it maps a charge as it should when first connected to the car. However it is then failing to start the charge at the mapped time slot. It failed to start again last night so I have disabled smart charging for now and gone back to scheduled charging in the car. I did try to 'bump charge' when it was supposed to have started charging but it said it had failed so I guess there is a communication issue somewhere and the messages aren't being sent or aren't getting through to the Wallbox.
Maybe restart it by pulling the breaker. It’s been working flawlessly here 👍

IMG_1718.png