Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
My debate with Octopus about aligning my ALCS with the tariff when the clocks change is ongoing but seems to be drawing to an end. After the Spring change it took them 5 months to correct it (after 4 wrong attempts), and then it promptly went misaligned again with the Autumn change. Since then they made one attempted correction which was wrong. After escalating a complaint I have finally been told after 13 months that they cannot do this. I guess that while the capability was put into the SMETS2 meters, the software layers that implement the commands are just too unwieldy for the suppliers to simply adjust the ALCS and know what the result will be, at least in my meter. I will get them to restore it to GMT tariff timing and just leave it there. Since the switching will lag the clock in the summertime any night storage charging will usually be finished by the time the tariff changes back at 4:30am GMT.

My last discussion with them is whether they can create a tariff that also stays on GMT for people like me. Then the tariff and ALCS would stay aligned. Not holding my breath though. Eventually they will get to linking night storage heaters into a smart overnight tariff. I really need to replace mine with more modern ones, but I am reluctant to pay for an upgrade while there may be a new management protocl coming over the horizon.

I will also chase them for the overcharges caused by the ALCS timing misalignment, but again the terms for IO do say its an experimental product and that there is no liability for programming errors, so despite the fact that they have been negligent in responding so slowly to each email, I'm not betting on success.
If you are on IO, just ask them to set ALCS to give you 4 hours in a common period of BST and GMT; then you never need ask them to change it again.

my sign up process is not registering the test charge - currently using a Tesla 3 pin while I await a full charger install - anyone got any tips for getting this test charged acknowledged.

I was stuck in the api issues last week as a new enrolled but that is now clear - two steps not working - test charge - and virtual key which I have read above on and asked Octopus EV to add virtual key.

Anyone had the test charge issues that can help please?

Try logging into your Tesla Account to Manage Third Party security then remove the Octopus Energy grant there. Also try changing Tesla account credential password. Disconnect device from Octopus app. Add Virtual Key using Chrome as default browser through Octopus app during sign-up. If that doesn't work, skip it, then try a Test Connection. If charging doesn't start in your Tesla app within the first minute, start it yourself.

I am having issues with IO and am not getting anywhere with Octopus, so thought I'd try here and hope someone might be able to help.

I purchased the new Model 3 Highland, which is my first EV so everything is new to me and I might simply doing something wrong or missing something simple.

I got the car home on Saturday, and set up IO through the app as soon as the Tesla option was made available (Tuesday I think). The Octopus App said 'we are waiting to map a schedule' (or similar) and stayed that way for most of the day. I checked the website which said a charge was scheduled between 5 and 20 minutes after plugging in. I called Octopus that schedules weren't set until 4pm (odd that this isn't mentioned on the website) and to wait until then.

4pm came and went so no schedule. That evening I decided to disconnect and reconnect the car from Octopus. After many failed attempts to connect (during which time I also tried to bump charge several times, which also failed), it finally connected and set a schedule. That evening the car charged as expected.

I went to work can came back yesterday evening (Wednesday) with 21% left on the battery. It took 30 minutes or so but Io set a schedule. But it failed to charge overnight (schedule set to charge to 80% and ready time at 06:30). Thankfully I am working from home today so don't need the car. I woke up this morning, with last night's schedule still showing. A refresh of the Octopus app showed a new schedule for today, but I have no confidence it will charge the car.

I am charging through an Easee One charger. There was no schedule set through the charger or the car. (I have set a schedule for tonight through the Easee app though as I need the car tomorrow and don't trust IO to charge it).

I know the hardware is working because if I push a charge directly through the Easee app, the car starts to charge just fine.

Does the fact that the car fails to bump charge (and the several failed attempts to connect the car to IO) perhaps suggest IO is struggling to connect to the car for some reason, and if so, what can I do about it?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

I am having issues with IO and am not getting anywhere with Octopus, so thought I'd try here and hope someone might be able to help.

I purchased the new Model 3 Highland, which is my first EV so everything is new to me and I might simply doing something wrong or missing something simple.

I got the car home on Saturday, and set up IO through the app as soon as the Tesla option was made available (Tuesday I think). The Octopus App said 'we are waiting to map a schedule' (or similar) and stayed that way for most of the day. I checked the website which said a charge was scheduled between 5 and 20 minutes after plugging in. I called Octopus that schedules weren't set until 4pm (odd that this isn't mentioned on the website) and to wait until then.

4pm came and went so no schedule. That evening I decided to disconnect and reconnect the car from Octopus. After many failed attempts to connect (during which time I also tried to bump charge several times, which also failed), it finally connected and set a schedule. That evening the car charged as expected.

I went to work can came back yesterday evening (Wednesday) with 21% left on the battery. It took 30 minutes or so but Io set a schedule. But it failed to charge overnight (schedule set to charge to 80% and ready time at 06:30). Thankfully I am working from home today so don't need the car. I woke up this morning, with last night's schedule still showing. A refresh of the Octopus app showed a new schedule for today, but I have no confidence it will charge the car.

I am charging through an Easee One charger. There was no schedule set through the charger or the car. (I have set a schedule for tonight through the Easee app though as I need the car tomorrow and don't trust IO to charge it).

I know the hardware is working because if I push a charge directly through the Easee app, the car starts to charge just fine.

Does the fact that the car fails to bump charge (and the several failed attempts to connect the car to IO) perhaps suggest IO is struggling to connect to the car for some reason, and if so, what can I do about it?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
What is your Tesla app showing?

Attachments

• IMG_7077.png
    IMG_7077.png
    234.9 KB · Views: 41
@grumpybugger There are 2 things that control charging - your wall charger and the car - that are like two independent "switches". If you have Octopus controlling the car then you need to make sure the Easee charger isn't switched off (which will result in a "charging equipment not ready" message from the Tesla). Turn off any "schedules" in the Easee app and let Octopus control the Tesla charging. When you plug in, and before you get a Octopus schedule the car will normally just start charging, so tap "Stop charging" in the Tesla app.

This.

Just been to the car and I have a message saying 'charging equipment not ready' (which is new), but the car is able to charge through the Easee app.
I also have an Easee charger and only get this message if the charger is preventing the charge for some reason. The Easee has user authentication, which can be setup to recognise an RFID card (preventing unauthorised charges). Make sure that this - and any schedules on the Easee as others have already mentioned - are turned off.

@grumpybugger There are 2 things that control charging - your wall charger and the car - that are like two independent "switches". If you have Octopus controlling the car then you need to make sure the Easee charger isn't switched off (which will result in a "charging equipment not ready" message from the Tesla). Turn off any "schedules" in the Easee app and let Octopus control the Tesla charging. When you plug in, and before you get a Octopus schedule the car will normally just start charging, so tap "Stop charging" in the Tesla app.
Thanks for the response.

The Easee One Charger is on and ready. It has solid white lights on the charger which indicate that the car is connected but no smart charge schedule set. The app confirms this.

When I plug in I don't get a charging schedule from IO. I have just called Octopus who say they can see a charging schedule but the app says 'a charging plan will be made shortly after you plug in'.

I also have an Easee charger and only get this message if the charger is preventing the charge for some reason. The Easee has user authentication, which can be setup to recognise an RFID card (preventing unauthorised charges). Make sure that this - and any schedules on the Easee as others have already mentioned - are turned off.
Thanks. The Easee One charger access has been set to 'open' so no authentication is required to charge and no schedule is set. Solid white lights on the charger suggesting it is connected and no schedule is set. So I am fairly confident that this isn't causing the issue.

Thanks. The Easee One charger access has been set to 'open' so no authentication is required to charge and no schedule is set. Solid white lights on the charger suggesting it is connected and no schedule is set. So I am fairly confident that this isn't causing the issue.
I'd suggest a power cycle and a double check of the Easee settings - because if you're plugging in and then able to start a charge from the Easee app, it indicates that the charge point is preventing the charge for some reason, either through waiting for authentication, a schedule, a delayed start or the off-peak charging option - all of which need to be turned off. I've just plugged my car in and the Easee app shows that charging is active ('Queued - load balancing' then 'Ready to charge') and there is a Pause symbol, not a symbol to start the charge.

What I do is have the 23.30 start (when at the home location) set in the Tesla charging settings - this will at least allow the car to start charging at 23.30 even if Octopus for some reason are not able to control the car. Unfortunately Tesla don't have the option to stop charging at a particular time so there's a chance that it could run over into peak after 05.30. If charging doesn't start at 23.30 with that setting active then it's definitely the charger.

Just got this email from Octopus regarding Tesla Model 3 Highland and IO.

"Unfortunately, because you have a newer model, this is yet to be integrated. Therefore the Intelligent Octopus Go is not going to work for you currently."

This is despite allowing me to connect the car to IO and it charging successfully one of the two nights it's tried to do so.

Just got this email from Octopus regarding Tesla Model 3 Highland and IO.

"Unfortunately, because you have a newer model, this is yet to be integrated. Therefore the Intelligent Octopus Go is not going to work for you currently."

This is despite allowing me to connect the car to IO and it charging successfully one of the two nights it's tried to do so.
Sounds like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.
I'd be very surprised if Highland models interfaced in any meaningfully different way from any other Tesla models.,

I'd suggest a power cycle and a double check of the Easee settings - because if you're plugging in and then able to start a charge from the Easee app, it indicates that the charge point is preventing the charge for some reason, either through waiting for authentication, a schedule, a delayed start or the off-peak charging option - all of which need to be turned off. I've just plugged my car in and the Easee app shows that charging is active ('Queued - load balancing' then 'Ready to charge') and there is a Pause symbol, not a symbol to start the charge.

What I do is have the 23.30 start (when at the home location) set in the Tesla charging settings - this will at least allow the car to start charging at 23.30 even if Octopus for some reason are not able to control the car. Unfortunately Tesla don't have the option to stop charging at a particular time so there's a chance that it could run over into peak after 05.30. If charging doesn't start at 23.30 with that setting active then it's definitely the charger.
I've doubled checked the settings and have been in touch with the installer who has software which can health check the charger. They assure me all is OK and that the issue was with Octopus (but of course they would say that).

I was charging through LTE as my WiFi signal won't reach to where I have to park the car. I wonder if a poor LTE signal is causing the issue. I've managed to move around WiFI boosters to get a signal to the car (will look into getting something better) and I immediately was scheduled a charge in The Octopus app ('charging equipment not ready' still showing' though).

I will see if it charges tonight at 11pm when it's due to start charging. if not I'll charge it directly through Easee.

Octopus have just told me they have yet to integrate the new Highland model and so it won't work until they do, so maybe there's nothing that can be done except schedule off-peak charging with theEasee app until that happens?

Sounds like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.
I'd be very surprised if Highland models interfaced in any meaningfully different way from any other Tesla models.,
I am new to all this, but that felt off to me too. It went through the set up just fine (I selected the LR 2023 model on the app) . And charged fine the first night. They tell em it repeatedly tried to charge last night but the car was asleep / unavailable.

Reactions: ACarneiro
I am new to all this, but that felt off to me too. It went through the set up just fine (I selected the LR 2023 model on the app) . And charged fine the first night. They tell em it repeatedly tried to charge last night but the car was asleep / unavailable.
It is certainly possible a very poor cellular signal is causing communications with the car to fail. My understanding (could well be wrong) is when the car is asleep any remote wake-up commands come via the cellular connection and not WiFi. If you are far from the car (so you're certain your phone is not connecting via bluetooth) can you wake the car from the phone app?

It is certainly possible a very poor cellular signal is causing communications with the car to fail. My understanding (could well be wrong) is when the car is asleep any remote wake-up commands come via the cellular connection and not WiFi. If you are far from the car (so you're certain your phone is not connecting via bluetooth) can you wake the car from the phone app?
I've just disabled WiFi in the car and Bluetooth on the phone and the app still woke the car up.

So, whether or not the car is connected to WiFi a poor cellular signal will still cause the charge to fail?