Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for your replies. I'll plug in again this evening and see what happens.
For the second night, IO failed to initiate charging. I've noticed also (it may not be related) that the phone app is either extremely slow to connect to the car or simply fails. The car is parked within a few feet of my router when charging. I only have a Pod Point charger so have no choice but to use the Tesla API for IO. It's not a big inconvenience to simply schedule the charging through the Pod Point but I switched to IO to get the 15p/kWh export rate, so I don't want to risk being ejected from the tariff through not playing fair.

It's not a big inconvenience to simply schedule the charging through the Pod Point but I switched to IO to get the 15p/kWh export rate, so I don't want to risk being ejected from the tariff through not playing fair.
I don't know if its the "right thing" but I have my car connected to IO but then have smart charging disabled and a schedule set on my Hypervolt. I switched for the same reason (along with a larger, cheaper off peak window) but do not use my car often enough to need a smart charge every day, so its easier for me to manually control my charging...

If Octopus decide they want to be more strict around you utilising smart charging then I will just adapt to do the bare minimum to meet their requirements.

For the second night, IO failed to initiate charging. I've noticed also (it may not be related) that the phone app is either extremely slow to connect to the car or simply fails. The car is parked within a few feet of my router when charging. I only have a Pod Point charger so have no choice but to use the Tesla API for IO. It's not a big inconvenience to simply schedule the charging through the Pod Point but I switched to IO to get the 15p/kWh export rate, so I don't want to risk being ejected from the tariff through not playing fair.
Whether the issue is the Tesla connectivity generally (a common issue it seems) or on the Octopus server side, what you are doing seems a reasonable workaround which many of us also do (manually scheduling charges during the lower rate period). I am ordinarily one for following rules so I have my car set to commence charging at 11:45pm. When IO scheduling works (which for us is most of the time) it quickly shuts down the car charging if it is outside the window set by IO. When IO fails it ensures the car is charged and ready for the next morning. I don't believe you need worry about Octopus flagging your account. Needs must.

Well after 2 nights of fails IO worked fine last night as smoothly as usual till the last week or so. Nothing changed at my end. Only thing different was that the schedule changed through the night after charging had started at 23.30 at some point. If that’s going to be a usual thing now ( not had it before) then will have to check at 05.30 if extra times same or different to schedule set prior to 23.30 so can change inverter to use grid at those times rather than house batteries. Otherwise will be pulling charge from batteries to charge car……….not ideal.

I happened to be awake at 05:29 a couple of nights ago and actually watched IOG having failed to stop charging per schedule at 04:00 and my Tesla continue to charge on into peak (supplied by PW instead), then stopped it manually. So configured Tesla’s Scheduled Departure Off-Peak Charging for 05:30, which works solidly.

I happened to be awake at 05:29 a couple of nights ago and actually watched IOG having failed to stop charging per schedule at 04:00 and my Tesla continue to charge on into peak (supplied by PW instead), then stopped it manually. So configured Tesla’s Scheduled Departure Off-Peak Charging for 05:30, which works solidly.
The only caveat with this (instead of scheduled charging at 23:30), is if you have very low SoC, then the car may start charging before off-peak at 23:30 if it estimates it won't reach your set target by 05:30 otherwise.

Reactions: Pink Duck
Yep I have that set all the time. It’s just if you get extra time, say 08.00-09.30 then IO will override the 05.30 stop and I have set the inverter before bed to put house onto grid for that time period. Then IO moves it to another period through the night, inverter still puts house onto grid time set, so car charges at IO rate plus drains house battery for new period and the old period set 08.00-09.30 house runs at peak rate and any battery charge also at that time is peak. First world issue VBG.

How about setting the IO "Ready by time" to 05:30?

Has no benefit, if I set ready by 04:00 or ready by 05:30 lately it has been charging off into peak with a single 'failed to control charging' notification earlier overnight, at peak rate without any change to scheduled plan. I suspect this is mostly because of local Three UK cell mast problems ongoing.

Has no benefit, if I set ready by 04:00 or ready by 05:30 lately it has been charging off into peak with a single 'failed to control charging' notification earlier overnight, at peak rate without any change to scheduled plan. I suspect this is mostly because of local Three UK cell mast problems ongoing.
Well that is no fun. Being an insomniac I'm up at all sorts of odd times, but having to check 05:30 charge status would be a massive inconvenience.

• Funny
Reactions: Pink Duck
Sometimes IO will overrun the 5:30am slot but it does not mean you are being charged peak rate. Before stopping check for new IO slots.

Cell communications necessary to wake the car to connect to WiFi/Bluetooth radios. Likely less priority for third-parties such as Octopus Energy.

I had a scheduled plan from 02:30–04:00, the car charged then (warning after 02:30 to say problems controlling car charge, but it did start). It stopped at 04:00, then with nothing in the app started again bang on 05:30. Car was charging above IOG target percentage when I woke and stopped it.

Is frustrating that there’s no rapid visibility of plan-related off-peak rates.

I don't believe IO has implemented (and neither will be?) direct fleet Telemetry, allowed by the newly released Tesla API, that would allow them to connect directly to the vehicle instead of going through Tesla's servers. Surely that would allow immediate control of the vehicle, no more 540 errors, and immediate schedule generation?

Had my smart meters upgraded today, tried to go through the Intelligent Octopus switch process on the app.

All I'm getting is "We couldn't connect your device" after logging in to Tesla as part of the setup.

Separate topic but also having issues where none of the commands work via the app, even though the car has LTE connection, music works, internet works etc, but could be related.

Very frustrating and making me slightly nervous I've bought a car with issues.

Had my smart meters upgraded today, tried to go through the Intelligent Octopus switch process on the app.

All I'm getting is "We couldn't connect your device" after logging in to Tesla as part of the setup.

Separate topic but also having issues where none of the commands work via the app, even though the car has LTE connection, music works, internet works etc, but could be related.

Very frustrating and making me slightly nervous I've bought a car with issues.
I think that there is an expected delay after the meter is connected

• Helpful
Reactions: mrflux
Yep I have that set all the time. It’s just if you get extra time, say 08.00-09.30 then IO will override the 05.30 stop and I have set the inverter before bed to put house onto grid for that time period. Then IO moves it to another period through the night, inverter still puts house onto grid time set, so car charges at IO rate plus drains house battery for new period and the old period set 08.00-09.30 house runs at peak rate and any battery charge also at that time is peak. First world issue VBG.

I’ve never seen IO “override the 05:30 stop”.
If 05:30 “Ready by” time is set in the Octopus app, it has never charged the car past that time. And if you have “off peak end time set to 05:30 in the car as well, even if you did set the Octopus “ready by” time after 05:30, or it “overrides the 05:30 stop”(?) it won’t charge the car after 05:30 (and drain the house batteries).

3 settings;
1) Octopus app: “Ready by time” 05:30
2) Tesla app: “Off-peak end time” 05:30
3) Inverter app: charge house batteries from 23:30 —> 05:30

As mentioned before, if the car is below approx 25% or so (for us - but varies slightly depending on the car / target % / charger speed etc) you may get an extra slot or two earlier. I find these are rare but usually just before 23:30, rarely disconnected by a gap but occasionally they are. Although I can’t remember a time.

Some tweeking of the inverter ~ setting 3) above is required in this case if you get an earlier slot or two. I find this is extremely rare for us as normally we arrive home with >25% 99% of the time. On the other 1% of occasions, what I do is tweak the “Ready by” time to 06:00, have a look, 06:30 have a look, 0700 have a look and then if all the smart charging is in one lump without any gaps OUTSIDE of the 23:30-05:30 core times, I adjust all 3 setting to match that then go to sleep.

Either that or you can just plug in a bit later, ignore all of the above and accept that you might only end up with a 65-70% charged car instead of 80% the next morning. Then catch up the next day. It is a very first world problem deciding if it’s less effort to go outside in the cold and plug in later or sit on the sofa and fiddle with 3 apps 😂

For the best “set and forget” method, I prefer setting an 05:30 end time (and adjusting to a slightly later time on the rare occasions it’s necessary) instead of a 23:30 start time because at least I can see what’s happening and adjust whilst I’m awake. And I prefer to adjust the “off peak end” and “ready by” time and inverter times if I need a large charge or if I get a slot before 23:30 just the inverter settings (which has happened recently but isn’t the norm). Just one setting to change!

Plus the wife hasn’t got time for all the other faff. One job - plug it in, that’s it !

Reactions: Drew57
I’ve never seen IO “override the 05:30 stop”.
If 05:30 “Ready by” time is set in the Octopus app, it has never charged the car past that time. And if you have “off peak end time set to 05:30 in the car as well, even if you did set the Octopus “ready by” time after 05:30, or it “overrides the 05:30 stop”(?) it won’t charge the car after 05:30 (and drain the house batteries).

3 settings;
1) Octopus app: “Ready by time” 05:30
2) Tesla app: “Off-peak end time” 05:30
3) Inverter app: charge house batteries from 23:30 —> 05:30

As mentioned before, if the car is below approx 25% or so (for us - but varies slightly depending on the car / target % / charger speed etc) you may get an extra slot or two earlier. I find these are rare but usually just before 23:30, rarely disconnected by a gap but occasionally they are. Although I can’t remember a time.

Some tweeking of the inverter ~ setting 3) above is required in this case if you get an earlier slot or two. I find this is extremely rare for us as normally we arrive home with >25% 99% of the time. On the other 1% of occasions, what I do is tweak the “Ready by” time to 06:00, have a look, 06:30 have a look, 0700 have a look and then if all the smart charging is in one lump without any gaps OUTSIDE of the 23:30-05:30 core times, I adjust all 3 setting to match that then go to sleep.

Either that or you can just plug in a bit later, ignore all of the above and accept that you might only end up with a 65-70% charged car instead of 80% the next morning. Then catch up the next day. It is a very first world problem deciding if it’s less effort to go outside in the cold and plug in later or sit on the sofa and fiddle with 3 apps 😂

For the best “set and forget” method, I prefer setting an 05:30 end time (and adjusting to a slightly later time on the rare occasions it’s necessary) instead of a 23:30 start time because at least I can see what’s happening and adjust whilst I’m awake. And I prefer to adjust the “off peak end” and “ready by” time and inverter times if I need a large charge or if I get a slot before 23:30 just the inverter settings (which has happened recently but isn’t the norm). Just one setting to change!

Plus the wife hasn’t got time for all the other faff. One job - plug it in, that’s it !
Basically the same here apart from the below...
  • As per Octopus' guidelines I have never set anything in the car apart from charge limit 100% (adjusting the IO limit depending on what's needed plus a permanent 05.30 Ready Time in the Octopus app).
  • In addition to house battery charging 23.30-05.30, block discharge is also set for this period (adding temporary earlier slots for the rare occasions a schedule starts before this).
More than two years and IO has been faultless, a very simple & reliable tariff.