Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that... my brain wasn't some computing that people still use day rate 🤭 👍

Same email here but also having issues using the app when trying to set up the schedule “status code 429” and also starting to charge has been pulling similar errors….maybe not octopus but Tesla connectivity issues?
Friend having same with ohme charger and Audi. It’s not car or charger specific it seems more IO

My io message advised using the car to schedule charging. While they work out the problem with io.

I don’t know if I’m being thick, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to revert to letting the car control charging!.

My io message advised using the car to schedule charging. While they work out the problem with io.

I don’t know if I’m being thick, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to revert to letting the car control charging!.
On the devices tab of the Octopus app, tap the head at the top right, Devices, Intelligent octopus go, Smart Charging. Then schedule in the tesla app.

But you've probably worked it out by now.

Reactions: mick4545
I had this email today
Action: Please reconnect your Tesla in the Octopus app
It gave a reason and instructions to disconnnect the car from the app and then re connect again. The only problem was that the email on the phone with the links was in a font of about 2, completely unreadable. I opened the email on my PC and it was readable, but of course I couldn't use the links after about an hour of disconnecting and re connecting I managed to get the car connected to Octopus again.
The next email I got was from Tesla Germany. I'm pretty sure its just confirming I set up the octopus app to take control of charging.. but why in and from Germany?

Sie haben Octopus Energy Zugriff auf Ihr Tesla-Konto gewährt​
Zugriff gewährt am: 21. März 2024
Octopus Energy hat nun Zugriff auf:
Fahrzeugdaten
Fahrzeug-Echtzeitdaten, Standort, Berechtigung für Upgrades, Supercharger in der Nähe, Eigentümerschaft und Servicetermine
Zugriff entfernen, wenn Sie diese App nicht mehr verwenden oder ihr nicht mehr trauen.​
Tesla Germany GmbH

Sie haben Octopus Energy Zugriff auf Ihr Tesla-Konto gewährt​
Zugriff gewährt am: 21. März 2024
Octopus Energy hat nun Zugriff auf:
Fahrzeugdaten
Fahrzeug-Echtzeitdaten, Standort, Berechtigung für Upgrades, Supercharger in der Nähe, Eigentümerschaft und Servicetermine
Zugriff entfernen, wenn Sie diese App nicht mehr verwenden oder ihr nicht mehr trauen.​

Sounds like you’ve been having fun 😜

This translates to…..

“You have granted Octopus Energy access to your Tesla account

Access granted on: 21. March 2024

Octopus Energy now has access to:

Vehicle data

Vehicle real-time data, location, authorisation for upgrades, supercharger nearby, ownership and service appointments

Remove access if you no longer use this app or no longer trust it.”

- “authorisation for upgrades”?? - Maybe Octopus will use some of your OctoPoints for an acceleration boost? 😂

But we do trust them - right???

I added a leased car last Saturday with no virtual key required and the IO seems to work as expected.

As I'm new to this world am I right in thinking that if the car is charged to 100% (MyYRWD) it'll not set a smart charge schedule until the charge drops below that 100%?
They all worked fine last Sunday. This new method was not introduced until this week in Octopus as far as I know.

If you are at or above the required state of charge set in the octopus app then it should do nothing so if Octopus is set to 100% and the car is at 100% it should not charge but I guess 100% on the display could really be 99.89% so maybe it would try to get it back up to actual 100% I guess?

They all worked fine last Sunday. This new method was not introduced until this week in Octopus as far as I know.

If you are at or above the required state of charge set in the octopus app then it should do nothing so if Octopus is set to 100% and the car is at 100% it should not charge but I guess 100% on the display could really be 99.89% so maybe it would try to get it back up to actual 100% I guess?
Ah - I removed the device and re-added it today anyway - they have confirmed they can see it fine their end so should be ok. Mind you the chap at Octopus had no idea about the emails some here have had so who knows....and yes that's what I thought on the 100% point.

Does the new API method makes IO schedule generation more reactive?
I have been plugged in for two hours today and didn't get anything. I had to manually disable / enable Smart Charging from the Octopus app to eventually get it...
As far as I know this is just about the authentication. Though in the future, now the Tesla know who is making what calls, ( I would not be suprised if Tesla start to clamp down / charge third parties making a lot of calls. Look at What Elon has done with API access at X. At which point the service may get worse / more expensive.

I removed my M3 as requested by the email, then followed the instructions, got to step 4 adding the car back and it never went to the Tesla app for anything and it just sat there charging and with the octopus app saying complete test charge to finish. It is still going after an hour of charging.
The app is the latest version and I have checked the mobile signal strength in the Tesla…

Current prices
until 31st March 2024 55.387p. 29.580p 7.500p
from 1st April 2024 69.143p. 25.834p 7.500p

Northern large jump in standing charge 14p/month, not offset by day rate drop. Will increase our bill by around £38/year, unless of course loads of sun to export and many saving sessions next winter!
Same here. Thankfully in process of disconnecting my gas so saving that standard charge more than covers the increase in the electricity. Shame they didn't drop overnight rate down to 5p. I still have fond memories of those days 😁