Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVgo reportedly adding Tesla plugs to their DC fast chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also a number of the EVgo stations can show up in the cars nav display these days. Was added a few OTAs ago.

For the past few months Tesla has been showing most of these EVgo sites in the nav display when the "two lightening bolt" filter is enabled. (The one lightening bolt filter is for nearby destination chargers, two bolts shows urban 72 kW Superchargers and these EVgo sites, and three bolts show the 150 and 250 kw Superchargers.)

Yesterday I was low on charge and was going to a grocery store which hosts one of these EVgo sites. Interestingly, with the EVgo site selected in the nav, the car did battery preconditioning on the way over. I didn't realize that it would do this for a CHAdeMO session. It gives an advantage to these sites over other, e.g. non-EVgo, CHAdeMO sites that do not show up in the nav display.

The charge session itself was kind of disappointing. Started off at a normal 30-something kW. But by the time I returned it had dropped to only 10 kW. And that was at only 30% SoC. Since this station has worked fine for me in the past, something was clearly wrong with it.

Just submitted the following two suggestions to PlugShare. They seem fairly minor, so it will be interesting to see if they get implemented:

1.) Currently the "Minimum Power" slider only appears with Supercharging, CCS, and/or CHAdeMO filters selected. I suggested also allowing it when the "Tesla" plug type is selected.

2.) As these are 50 kW DC Fast Charging stations, not AC Level 2 stations, the pins for them should be in orange - rather than green.

Seems PlugShare recently changed such that these EVgo sites now show up, in orange, when the "Tesla (fast)" filter is enabled.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and mociaf9
So I had an interesting experience with one of these EVgo sites last week. I wrote some of this up on plugshare, and thought it might be of interest to elaborate here.

I drove up to the Seattle area over Thanksgiving. I picked up one of my sons at the Sea-Tac airport mid-day, then later in the evening picked up my wife. There are two EVgo chargers w/Tesla adapters in the Sea-Tac cell phone lot. I used one of the chargers the first visit and the other on the second visit. In both cases, I used my EVgo rfid card to authorize the charge. (Had to fix up the credit card I had on file since we changed the numbers recently. Did it via the EVgo app on my phone.) Once authorization was working, in both cases charging again failed until I fully seated the CHAdeMO plugs into the Tesla adapter sockets. Obviously the CHAdeMO plugs had been used by non-Teslas and hadn't been properly plugged into the adapters. The plugs make a click when it snaps into place. Then everything worked fine.

On the second visit, a Model X pulled up and the driver attempted to use the other charger. He asked me for some help - and of course it was just about the time my wife called me to tell me her flight had arrived. He was down to 10 miles of range, and there are no nearby Superchargers. He also had no idea how to use EVgo, their chargers, had no account, rfid card or phone app. Just a credit card. We couldn't get his credit card to work. So I finally offered him a complimentary charge. (He offered me some cash in return, but I wouldn't take it.) My authorization of course worked, but then there was some sort of connection problem with his Model X. (I didn't have the presence of mind to write down the error message on the charger display.) We then tried moving his car to the charger I just used. Same error and so it still didn't work. By this time, my wife was "patiently waiting" for me to pick her up and I Really Had To Leave. He was going to try calling the EVgo support number, and I also suggested calling Tesla roadside help. In retrospect, I should have also looked at plugshare - as there are a number of L2s near the airport that he could have used.

Reflecting back on this, it raises some points that could bear discussion.

First, given these EVgo stations show up in the Tesla nav display, I wonder if many Tesla owners show up at an EVgo expecting the same "plug and charge" experience they do with Tesla Superchargers? If so they likely going to have a bad experience.

Second, I guess we should all be aware that if we need to use one of these, be sure to have an account set up with EVgo. I used a AAA discount when I set up my account. So there is no monthly charge, and it gets best pricing. Don't depend on it reading your credit card.

Third, speaking of "plug and charge", Tesla doesn't support it yet with non-Tesla charging stations. Hopefully as Tesla gets more comfortable with CCS, they will start to support it. Googling around a bit, it seems EVgo supports P&C on the CCS side of at least at some of their stations. But not on the CHAdeMO side.

Fourth, it will be interesting to see how EVgo manages a transition to a CCS-based approach. Seems like they need to stick with CHAdeMO for at least a little in order to remain compatible with all Models S/3/X/Y.

Finally, as a FWIW, the charger display was showing ~45-46 kW of power being delivered during much of the charging sessions. However the in-car display was showing ~40-41 kW. I'm assuming that the missing ~5 kW was probably battery heating (e.g., stator winding in the rear motor drawing ~3 kW) and cabin heating drawing a few more kW. I probably should have turned the cabin heater off to see if it made much of a difference.

Last edited:
Finally, as a FWIW, the charger display was showing ~45-46 kW of power being delivered during much of the charging sessions. However the in-car display was showing ~40-41 kW. I'm assuming that the missing ~5 kW was probably battery heating (e.g., stator winding in the rear motor drawing ~3 kW) and cabin heating drawing a few more kW. I probably should have turned the cabin heater off to see if it made much of a difference.
Yes, this discrepancy is because the charger shows total electrical power being output and the display in the car only reports what's actually going into the battery. The difference is from resistive losses in the wiring between the charger and the battery (pretty minor, maybe like 1 kW) and any other loads running on the car at the same time, e.g. battery heating/cooling, cabin heating/cooling, etc.

Oh, OK. That's pretty recent--I had not heard about that.
The CHAdeMO association might just have been bigging up the possibility. It transmits the VIN, I believe. Edit: a vehicle ID.

A bit more on CHAdeMO 2.0 from 2018.

Continuous output of 12V power supply in the proximity detection line to allow
Plug & Charge (PnC).
X(opt.)
New CAN IDs for service code and vehicle ID option for better operability e.g. PnC.

So, I think it would be more software-based, rather than having the hardware elements of the Plug and Charge standard.

EVGo announced a trial use of Autocharge in 2019, but maybe they're just going to do Plug and Charge instead?

So I had an interesting experience with one of these EVgo sites last week. I wrote some of this up on plugshare, and thought it might be of interest to elaborate here.

I drove up to the Seattle area over Thanksgiving. I picked up one of my sons at the Sea-Tac airport mid-day, then later in the evening picked up my wife. There are two EVgo chargers w/Tesla adapters in the Sea-Tac cell phone lot. I used one of the chargers the first visit and the other on the second visit. In both cases, I used my EVgo rfid card to authorize the charge. (Had to fix up the credit card I had on file since we changed the numbers recently. Did it via the EVgo app on my phone.) Once authorization was working, in both cases charging again failed until I fully seated the CHAdeMO plugs into the Tesla adapter sockets. Obviously the CHAdeMO plugs had been used by non-Teslas and hadn't been properly plugged into the adapters. The plugs make a click when it snaps into place. Then everything worked fine.

On the second visit, a Model X pulled up and the driver attempted to use the other charger. He asked me for some help - and of course it was just about the time my wife called me to tell me her flight had arrived. He was down to 10 miles of range, and there are no nearby Superchargers. He also had no idea how to use EVgo, their chargers, had no account, rfid card or phone app. Just a credit card. We couldn't get his credit card to work. So I finally offered him a complimentary charge. (He offered me some cash in return, but I wouldn't take it.) My authorization of course worked, but then there was some sort of connection problem with his Model X. (I didn't have the presence of mind to write down the error message on the charger display.) We then tried moving his car to the charger I just used. Same error and so it still didn't work. By this time, my wife was "patiently waiting" for me to pick her up and I Really Had To Leave. He was going to try calling the EVgo support number, and I also suggested calling Tesla roadside help. In retrospect, I should have also looked at plugshare - as there are a number of L2s near the airport that he could have used.

Reflecting back on this, it raises some points that could bear discussion.

First, given these EVgo stations show up in the Tesla nav display, I wonder if many Tesla owners show up at an EVgo expecting the same "plug and charge" experience they do with Tesla Superchargers? If so they likely going to have a bad experience.

Second, I guess we should all be aware that if we need to use one of these, be sure to have an account set up with EVgo. I used a AAA discount when I set up my account. So there is no monthly charge, and it gets best pricing. Don't depend on it reading your credit card.

Third, speaking of "plug and charge", Tesla doesn't support it yet with non-Tesla charging stations. Hopefully as Tesla gets more comfortable with CCS, they will start to support it. Googling around a bit, it seems EVgo supports P&C on the CCS side of at least at some of their stations. But not on the CHAdeMO side.

Fourth, it will be interesting to see how EVgo manages a transition to a CCS-based approach. Seems like they need to stick with CHAdeMO for at least a little in order to remain compatible with all Models S/3/X/Y.

On plug-share, I filter out anything less than 150kw, and usually 300kw EA shows up in a few spots. Otherwise, I'd rather wait in line for a Tesla supercharger. That is unless I'm desperate.

One of these just opened near me here in Durham. Not very fast but seems like progress. I don’t know who will use it since a real supercharger is about 4 miles away.

9D497F2F-8036-464E-97F2-7152DB395C90.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Rocky_H
Reactions: theothertom