Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like another of their 350 kW sites is done, this time in South Australia:

1670318503103.jpeg

Reactions: cafz
Oh. I'd seen that open. Hadnt't noticed it was 350kW.

So possibly Paralowie, Sutton Forest expansion and Cameron Park 350kW all open in quick succession.

Sutton Forest is looking very close. Not yet showing in app.
(From Alex B on EVfA FB group)

How many 350kW chargers does that leave Evie to open to complete the original funding?

FB_IMG_1670398297921.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Vostok
Canberra is severely lacking anything greater than 100 kW that isn't Tesla.
50kW

DC in Canberra is woeful. There are 4 x 50kW Evie Networks sites, with 5 stalls total (3 ex-ACTEWAGL single-stall, 1 ARENA Future Fuels Fund twin-stall). And 1 x 25kW unit that's run by SGFleet & billed through Chargefox.

So 6 non-Tesla stalls at 50kW or less, 6 Tesla v2 Superchargers at Majura Park Maccas, and 6 Tesla v3 Superchargers at the Hyperdome.

Fortunately DC on the ways out of Canberra are pretty good, and getting better. Except for the Kings Highway corridor to Bungendore-Braidwood-Batemans Bay - which doesn't sound important, unless you're aware that it's every Canberra local's weekend pilgrimage.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
And new 2 stall site at Raglan St Mosman showing as online.

Man, they are pumping them out at the moment! I’ve lost count of how many that is over the past month, with more to come they say.

Raglan St is an interesting choice of location. I used to live near there. I guess not far from the shopping strip and cafes along Military Rd, but it’s only about 600m away from their Mosman Council charger. These are probably the closest-together Evie chargers in their network.

Man, they are pumping them out at the moment! I’ve lost count of how many that is over the past month, with more to come they say.

Agreed. Although they need to. The surprising thing is we aren't seeing the same rollout cadence from others.

Most of the recent sites (bar the 350kW ones which are under the even earlier 2019 Ultrafast EV program) are part funded from Arena Future Fuels Fund Round 1. This commenced in early 2021, with winners announced on 31 July 2021. One of the conditions was to have all sites complete within 2 years of signing a Funding agreement - so likely sometime in late 2023..

Evie won funding for 158 chargers (so probably 79 sites)..

The other winners are a lot slower to get going
Ampol - 121 - think we've seen 7 over 5 sites, and then a pause although a few other DAs are in the works. The unfunded BP Pulse network might overtake them by Xmas.
Engie - 103 - yet to launch
Chargefox - 16 - don't think any yet, though possibly combining with their SA and WA rollouts
Electric Highways Tas - 5

The rollout also crossovers with funding from various state government programs.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cafz and Vostok
I just noticed in Plugshare, this particular site has status (Charging/In Use) - I checked in Evie app it says Occupied too..
Unsure if this is a bug? I'm doubtful that Plugshare is somewhat connected to Evie backend..

1670580851080.png

I'm doubtful that Plugshare is somewhat connected to Evie backend..
Plugshare does get a live feed of site status from Evie (Google Maps seems to get a live feed from both Evie and Chargefox).

Note that the "Out of order" on the CHAdeMO plugs is actually just "this plug can't be used right now because the corresponding CCS2 plug is in use".

Reactions: moa999
Note that the "Out of order" on the CHAdeMO plugs is actually just "this plug can't be used right now because the corresponding CCS2 plug is in use".

Which is really terrible UI messaging. Someone with a CHAdeMO car (or CCS2, if someone was plugged in with CHAdeMO) will think “oh crap I need to find another charger somewhere else” not “hopefully by the time I get there it will be avaliable”.

Reactions: Lachlan Smith
Which is really terrible UI messaging. Someone with a CHAdeMO car (or CCS2, if someone was plugged in with CHAdeMO) will think “oh crap I need to find another charger somewhere else” not “hopefully by the time I get there it will be avaliable”.
Yes. It appears to be a limitation of the OCPP1.6 standard - it specifies only these status codes for connectors: Available, Preparing, Charging, SuspendedEVSE, SuspendedEV, Finishing, Reserved, Unavailable, Faulted. The first 7 indicate the port is "operative" and the last two "inoperative".

Yes. It appears to be a limitation of the OCPP1.6 standard - it specifies only these status codes for connectors: Available, Preparing, Charging, SuspendedEVSE, SuspendedEV, Finishing, Reserved, Unavailable, Faulted. The first 7 indicate the port is "operative" and the last two "inoperative".

In which case the sensible solution is to have the UI say that the non-available port is “Unavailable” not “Out of order”!

Even saying “Charging” (even though that particular port it isn’t) would be better. “Charging” legitimately tells you that the stall (rather than a particular port) is currently being used. It communicates to the user that the charger is working, but not available for someone else to use right now.

For units which can charge two vehicles simultaneously this problem doesn’t arise, and the current status of each port can be accurately communicated.

Come on people, it’s not hard to use your brain and think about the customers.