Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In which case the sensible solution is to have the UI say that the non-available port is “Unavailable” not “Out of order”!
Given that the system at that level doesn't know why it's unavailable, that makes sense to me too. The fact that it's described as an "inoperative" status is probably why they went with something a bit more severe, though.

Even saying “Charging” (even though that particular port it isn’t) would be better. “Charging” legitimately tells you that the stall (rather than a particular port) is currently being used. It communicates to the user that the charger is working, but not available for someone else to use right now.
Sure, but look at it from the charger manufacturer's point of view: they're just trying to pick the status code that most closely reflects the port status, and that port certainly isn't "charging". There's a separate set of codes for the overall equipment.

The problem is a lack of expressiveness in the status codes the standard provides, they really need a "Temporarily unavailable" (but still operative) code.

Sure, but look at it from the charger manufacturer's point of view: they're just trying to pick the status code that most closely reflects the port status, and that port certainly isn't "charging".

That’s fine for the back-end systems. The charge point operator (CPO) understands what it means, and logs it as such in their OSS. But there is nothing stopping them from then “translating” that in their App’s UI to something that is much more helpful to the end user.

Reactions: Lachlan Smith
And Evie with a Vic DCAV single stall site in Mildura

Probably won't get a huge amount of action initially with the 2-stall NRMA charger only 5 blocks away

And Evie reaches 100 sites with the opening of Toowoomba at NorthPoint shopping centre.

Unfortunately they've also been emailing people today letting them know that the 350kW site at Taree will be seemingly down for the holiday period (as it has been since mid-Nov)

Unfortunately they've also been emailing people today letting them know that the 350kW site at Taree will be seemingly down for the holiday period (as it has been since mid-Nov)

Which is a bummer because that is the Evie site I use the most. The closest alternatives are the single stall NRMA site at Nabiac 24 km south (which gets hammered because it is free, and being single stall, you would not want to bet your house on it) or the dual stall Chargefox Thrumster site 71 km north. A couple of hotels in Taree have destination chargers.

Thankfully a 12-stall Supercharger is planned to be built at the main shopping centre in Wynter St next year.

Last edited:
I’ve been at Peregian on the sunny coast for the past week
not a lot of charging options around here - Evie at Noosaville is convenient and there’s been a slot available both times I’ve been there
I also checked out the new BP Pulse chargers at Caboolture, might have a go on Xmas day en route to Bris, or coming back

Reactions: johnchidgey
I had an interesting thing (well, sort of interesting, if you're into that sort of thing) charging at the Evie chargers at HomeCo at Belrose (Sydney Northern Beaches) this morning. What they have there is two 50kW Tritium chargers, each with a CCS2 and a Chademo charge handle. Whenever I have charged there before (maybe a dozen times) I have been the only car charging and have consistently had 48-49kW from the charger right through (I usually only charge up to about 60% there unless I specifically need lots of range).

Anyway, this morning I plugged in there and there was a Polestar already charging in the other bay. I didn't really take note of how many kW they were pulling on their charger display but I did see the car had been connected and charging for about 1/2 hour already. Anyway, plugged my car in and got the session going, checked it was giving me about the right amount of power (48kW or so) and I went upstairs to buy some breakfast. What I saw when I checked on my phone was that after about 10 minutes of full speed, the charge rate progressively dropped over the next 20 minutes or so, down to below 20kW. The afterburners were not heating my car's battery, the HVAC wasn't on, and my battery SoC was still around/below 50% at that stage.

Finished breakfast, went back down to my car then I saw that the charging rate had jumped back up to full beans (49kW) a few minutes earlier (some time while I was finishing eating then going down the 3 escalators to the parking level) - I'm guessing when the Polestar had finished charging on the other charger - then it stayed at that correct full-speed level right through until it hit my set charging limit of 60%.

Here's how it looks (from the telemetry of the charging session the the Tessie app grabbed):
IMG_0806.png

So, it looks like there is some sort of power sharing going on between those two nominally 50kW chargers there, but how it manifested - ie my charging speed slowing in more-or-less a straight line after 10 minutes of full expected speed when the other car was already plugged in and charging before my session started - was a bit weird. If it had gone straight 50->25->50 when power sharing was happening or not I would understand it but how my charging speed got backed-off progressively after it gave me full power for 10 minutes is strange. Any ideas?

So, it looks like there is some sort of power sharing going on between those two nominally 50kW chargers there, but how it manifested - ie my charging speed slowing in more-or-less a straight line after 10 minutes of full expected speed when the other car was already plugged in and charging before my session started - was a bit weird. If it had gone straight 50->25->50 when power sharing was happening or not I would understand it but how my charging speed got backed-off progressively after it gave me full power for 10 minutes is strange. Any ideas?

It could be this site has a “dynamic connection” to Ausgrid, meaning the total power it uses at any instant of time can be throttled by the grid operator depending on the total load served by the final distribution node in that area. So while someone else plugged in at that site could have an effect on the charge rate you got, there would also be times where it wouldn’t, and some other load in the area caused it 10 minutes after you plugged in.

Dynamic connections are a new way for high peak-to-average connected loads to manage their demand charges to acceptable levels.

Some of those RTM75s can power-share between the CHAdeMO and CCS2 connection. Maybe someone briefly plugged into the CHAdeMO side of the charger you were using?
I don't think so; there are only two bays (ie one per charger, despite each charger having CHAdeMO+CCS2 charge handles) and it would be a fair stretch to reach the CHAdeMO cable out to anywhere else. If nothing else, Sentry Mode on my car only caught one event during the whole session too, which was the Polestar owner returning to their car in the other bay.

So while someone else plugged in at that site could have an effect on the charge rate you got, there would also be times where it wouldn’t, and some other load in the area caused it 10 minutes after you plugged in.
I don't mind that as a theory at all actually. I looked in TeslaFi (which I also run) and it seems like when the charge rate suddenly jumped back up to full speed was a few seconds after 9:00.

I've not had anything like that happen there at all before, but this is the only time I have charged there with another car on the other charger, so my first guess was that was the culprit, but they would have been charging for about 45 minutes by that time so I would have thought (not really knowing what a Polestar's charge curve looks like or what SoC they started charging at) they might not be pulling the full 50kW by that time, or at least not asking the charger for any MORE power 10 minutes later than 10 minutes before in a session that had already been going for a fair while.

Assume this excludes the Vic CTR stations which are simply billed by Evie?
That's a good question. You wouldn't expect so, but I'm sure they're affected by the cost of energy as much as any other Evie location. I checked individual locations on the app and it doesn't show anything about the post-March price (still 40c for everything) so will have to wait and see,