Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@B3AU gave one example - trying to force an access panel open (maybe if you looked closely you'd see some pry marks).

And to me, if that’s the case, that is very poor design. Trying to force a panel open, without obviously damaging it, should never be sufficient to cause something to fail. Public infrastructure should be robust enough to handle accidental as well as deliberate, but largely superficial damage, so that its core function continues to operate.

The other thing that makes me sceptical is that vandals are not known for their subtlety. People who have irrational hatred of EVs are unlikely to try to gently take a DCFC offline so as to not scratch the paintwork. Nope, they are going to go the fully monty. Vandalism is usually indiscriminate, forceful, and unmissable.

I did say “obviously vandalised” meaning visible damage. I’ve driven a lot around NSW, VIC and some of southern QLD, and Evie Taree would be one of the ones I use the most. The NRMA charger at Walgett is the only one I’ve ever encountered that was physically damaged (screen and card reader smashed).

If a DCFC can be taken offline due to physical interference without any visible damage, then I posit that is poor design. Did the tech give specific examples of the types of physical actions that could take down a DCFC without any obvious damage?
Yes you did say “obviously vandalised” meaning visible damage. But for instance a frozen or dark display while it may not have what you call “obviously vandalised” as in "smashed" if it has been hit hard enough to cause component damage behind the display is it still not vandalism that may cause problems for everyone involved including us users?

I do NOT want to come across here as someone defending Evie, Tritium or even the technician that has to travel around fixing the the chargers. Hell if you want my personal opinion as a design engineer on Tritium's design I think it's too open to attack from vandalism or even from a maintenance standpoint by being too complicated in the cabinet. The KISS principle is always is one of my foundations of engineering I am always trying to adhere to within reason.

And to me, if that’s the case, that is very poor design. Trying to force a panel open, without obviously damaging it, should never be sufficient to cause something to fail. Public infrastructure should be robust enough to handle accidental as well as deliberate, but largely superficial damage, so that its core function continues to operate.
It seems pretty likely to be a safety interlock - if the intrusion detection on the cabinet is tripped, it fails safe rather than potentially have the high power components exposed. This does seem a reasonable design to me, but it means that the owners need to have someone on standby to check out the device and reset the alarm if it hasn't been compromised.

Reactions: qiSun and Hairyman
Probable location of Arena Evie Charger at Hornsby,

1-3 Dural Street Hornsby.
Aerial_Map_2.png

With mock up location shot,
EV_Charging.png

Council had a request for public comment earlier in the year,

with the mostly positive response here.

And a subsequent request for comment from relevant authorities,

I don't think this has yet gone to council, hence probable location. Though it looks like a fairly sure thing.

Evie DCFC at Beaufort Victoria is now live.

Evie has installed two 50kW Tritium DCFC stations at Beaufort, between Ballarat and Horsham.
Original location at the rotunda on the highway was changed to much quieter one away from the truck noise,
in carpark behind the shops on the main road. Quick access to shops and the famous Vegemite Museum.

The site has 1x CHAdeMO and 3x CCS/SAE and is a good option rather than detouring into Ballarat.

IMG_0052.jpg

Discovered from plugshare and DEECA - Destination Charging Across Victoria

Question not directly related to Evie, but don't know where else I can ask it - Any idea why ABRP (premium) still does not have real time info on Evie chargers (They have Chargefox & Tesla)? Google Maps seems to have both Evie as well as Chargefox (but not Tesla).

Question not directly related to Evie, but don't know where else I can ask it - Any idea why ABRP (premium) still does not have real time info on Evie chargers (They have Chargefox & Tesla)? Google Maps seems to have both Evie as well as Chargefox (but not Tesla).

Maybe Rivian will improve it?

Reactions: SPadival
So Evie's just opened a rather different unit on Sydney's Northern Beaches

Interesting parts
- Arena funded stickers
- 4 parking spots, 2 stalls (previous have been 2/2)
- PKM150 machines (previous RTM75)
- 2x dual CCS2 (previous 2x CCS2/CHAdeMO - lack of CHAdeMO also seen with recent Engie rollouts)

So Evie's just opened a rather different unit on Sydney's Northern Beaches

Interesting parts
- Arena funded stickers
- 4 parking spots, 2 stalls (previous have been 2/2)
- PKM150 machines (previous RTM75)
- 2x dual CCS2 (previous 2x CCS2/CHAdeMO - lack of CHAdeMO also seen with recent Engie rollouts)
I guess there were some lessons learnt after all the lessons learnt that they had to report as part of ARENA funding requirements.

The other thing that makes me sceptical is that vandals are not known for their subtlety. People who have irrational hatred of EVs are unlikely to try to gently take a DCFC offline so as to not scratch the paintwork. Nope, they are going to go the fully monty. Vandalism is usually indiscriminate, forceful, and unmissable.
NRMA currently has two chargers offline due to unsubtle vandalism: Albury and Walgett.

• Informative
Reactions: SPadival