Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully not. Even sites which allow more than 5 minutes is silly. Need to plan ahead rather than use a third party excuse such as queues to hole others up. Leave someone at the car, or plan to be a bit early.
I know it’s slightly different but over here in Adelaide I’m noticing more and more people filling their ICE car up and when they go in to pay they get a coffee or a subway or one guy the other night ordered wok-in-a-box.
Absolutely 0 Fs given about the cars waiting to use the fuel pumps or other people in general. I’m pretty patient but that’s just pretty rude.
If there was an idle fee they would move the car pretty quickly and let others go about their business :)
I’m guessing with EV charging being that you get notified, and it’s a more limited resource, these things need to be enforced :)

Reactions: Vostok
New Evie iPhone app rant:

Just tried to log into the app at an Evie DC charger - opened the app and instead of letting me use my username and password, it asked to send me a "magic link" email that I could click on (to save me entering a password). The trouble is, the email address on my Evie account is (for certain reasons) my work email that I cannot access on my phone (for corporate security reasons).

No problem, I found another option to use my password instead - except that it then insisted on sending me an email to click on to allow me to use my password instead!

This may have been a one-off because it was the first time I used the app on a new phone, or because they just updated the app for this new functionality - but why does it have to be so hard? It was never this hard to buy petrol.

Oh, and fortunately I did have an RFID card to charge with, but honestly, this is why I can't buy my wife an EV. She would NOT put up with this garbage.

Reactions: elddum

Just tried to log into the app at an Evie DC charger - opened the app and instead of letting me use my username and password, it asked to send me a "magic link" email that I could click on (to save me entering a password). The trouble is, the email address on my Evie account is (for certain reasons) my work email that I cannot access on my phone (for corporate security reasons).

No problem, I found another option to use my password instead - except that it then insisted on sending me an email to click on to allow me to use my password instead!

This may have been a one-off because it was the first time I used the app on a new phone, or because they just updated the app for this new functionality - but why does it have to be so hard? It was never this hard to buy petrol.

Oh, and fortunately I did have an RFID card to charge with, but honestly, this is why I can't buy my wife an EV. She would NOT put up with this garbage.
This should be a method of multi-factor authentication, it can somehow prevented the leaked password caused breach. But use an email that you can use on the phone will be easier.. not sure weather they allow you to change the linked email

She can't tap a card on a card reader? Not sure she should be driving any type of car if that is out of her level of competence. How does she manage to fill up with petrol, walk into the servo, pay, walk out and drive away?

Here's a random question on Evie chargers. There seems to be a stop button on the charger itself. Does this mean that any old random can walk up to the occupied charger and stop someone's session?! Has this happened to anyone?
Some do, some will require you to authenticate the same way you started the session (ie, if you used RFID to start the session, you can tap the RFID card to stop the session), or you stop it in the car.

I believe it’s how they’ve chosen to configure the station, but not all can be stopped with a press of the ‘stop’ button.

Reactions: mukaibot and moa999
She can't tap a card on a card reader? Not sure she should be driving any type of car if that is out of her level of competence. How does she manage to fill up with petrol, walk into the servo, pay, walk out and drive away?
I don't need to DC charge very often, but so far I've had to install 5 different charging apps (Evie, Chargefox, BP Pulse, Ampol and NRMA), and take the time to load credit card details into each one. Only 2 accept RFID cards (Evie and Chargefox). Chargefox charged me $10 to send an RFID card that never arrived. Then I didn't bother chasing it up because I realised I could use the Evie card instead. Every time I load some of these apps, I have to take the time to log in again with username and password, which sometimes doesn't work automatically on the phone because the phone thinks they are the same app but I've used a different password. I had to give up at a BP Pulse one time because I couldn't make the app work. Now suddenly Evie decides they need to email me on an email address I don't have access to. Why TF should I need to check my email to charge my car.

Would my wife completely lose her shite at this point? Yes. I nearly did. But I persevere because I find the EV technology fascinating and it's worth it to me to put up with what I hope are just teething issues. She doesn't. She just wants a car she can charge as easily as she puts petrol in her current ICE. The current state of affairs is that every time something like this happens, I can't keep a straight face and tell her that she can.

You ask: "How does she manage to fill up with petrol, walk into the servo, pay, walk out and drive away?"

That's exactly my point. It should be this easy. It isn't. And you can't.

Here's a random question on Evie chargers. There seems to be a stop button on the charger itself. Does this mean that any old random can walk up to the occupied charger and stop someone's session?! Has this happened to anyone?

Yes it happened to me 2 weeks ago. You can read about it here:

Just tried to log into the app at an Evie DC charger

Well, I guess the lesson there is… set up your charging Apps before you arrive at a charger. The Apps I’ve used store persistent credentials, the only time I’ve needed to set things up again was migrating from the old to new Evie App (email link etc), which sounds like what you were doing. And you don’t want to be doing that standing in front of a charger.

You ask: "How does she manage to fill up with petrol, walk into the servo, pay, walk out and drive away?"

That's exactly my point. It should be this easy. It isn't. And you can't.

I reckon it is easier, once the Apps are set up. My wife currently has the Evie RFID card because it lives in the Tesla, so I’ve had to use the Evie App with my recent Chademo charges on the LEAF. The new Evie app was really simple to use and get charging started. RFID card is even easier. My wife is a total technophobe and had done nothing but public charging over the last 3 weeks no issues.

Well, I guess the lesson there is… set up your charging Apps before you arrive at a charger. The Apps I’ve used store persistent credentials, the only time I’ve needed to set things up again was migrating from the old to new Evie App (email link etc), which sounds like what you were doing. And you don’t want to be doing that standing in front of a charger.
Yes, I had just migrated to a new iPhone so all the apps needed new credentials.

But this is not something I anticipated to have to do. My last phone changeover was 6 years ago. The evil planets aligned on this occasion, as I did not even expect to need DC charging - it was only a sudden unexpected need to urgently drive to Melbourne that required the DC charging on that day. As I was in a hurry, the inconvenience led to annoyance, and highlighted to me that EV charging is not yet fit for purpose (for mainstream usage).
I reckon it is easier, once the Apps are set up. My wife currently has the Evie RFID card because it lives in the Tesla, so I’ve had to use the Evie App with my recent Chademo charges on the LEAF. The new Evie app was really simple to use and get charging started. RFID card is even easier. My wife is a total technophobe and had done nothing but public charging over the last 3 weeks no issues.
When it works.

I charged at BP Pulse on a recent road trip, and it worked. On the way home, the app (they use a framework around evconnect) didn’t work. Had to log in again. Said wrong password. Did the whole reset password through email. Took a while. No RFID option. No pay in store option. So, not fit for mainstream use, IMHO.

Evie's latest app update release notes mentions showing "busy times" (at selected trial sites for now)

IMG_1024.png