Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @Ted H for doing this as a public service just to try it out! But the wider sentiment on this issue expressed by some is just bizarre to me. If people really want tap-and-go payments then OK, but I think those people forfeit any right to then complain about the inconveniences and consequences of doing so, e.g. multiple pre-auths on cards, limited card support, delays in payment reconciliation, no notifications to your phone, no invoices, etc.

Some people carry on as if downloading and using an App is too difficult and akin to allowing the Deep State access to your every movement and must be resisted at all costs. Get over it. The Apps (especially Evie’s) are easy to use and provide all the functionality you need, RFID cards even easier 🤷‍♂️

Some people carry on as if downloading and using an App is too difficult
I think you have mis-interpreted the carry on.

Some people object to having to download 27 different apps and then not being able to charge when the mobile network goes down, while the ICE drivers only need to carry one credit card. Also as pointed out above that overseas visitors may not even have access to the Australian app store. Everyone else in the country accepts tap payments - even my daughter accepts tap payments at her lemonade stand. This is an essential service FFS.

Reactions: bay74
Some people object to having to download 27 different apps

Who has downloaded 27 Apps for charging their EV? I have downloaded 8 Apps out of curiosity, but have only used 3 of them for charging. It’s not remotely a big deal.

and then not being able to charge when the mobile network goes down

If that happens pretty much any payment system stops except those that are hard-wired (which is becoming a diminishing proportion). That would include tap-and-go terminals at DCFCs. All those non-hardwired EFTPOS terminals use 3G or 4G 🙄. Get an RFID card to cover that contingency.

Reactions: cafz
while the ICE drivers only need to carry one credit card. Also as pointed out above that overseas visitors may not even have access to the Australian app store
Personally I don't see that as the same comparison.

Going into an overpriced convenience store to stand in a queue to pay is neither easy or convenient.

And very few petrol stations offer a credit card reader at the pump.

Instead over the last few years they've all rolled out their own apps - bpme, Shell Coles Express, Ampol, My 7-Eleven.
And would you believe you need a different app for each brand.

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok
It’s not remotely a big deal.
Not for you. It is for others. A couple of my family members would not cope with the apps. But they are quite capable of driving, refuelling, plugging in a cable, and tapping a credit card. You only seem to think of your own use case. A bit like the people who don't tow trailers don't understand why anyone would want trailer friendly charging. BEV's are not a niche product just for the fans anymore.
Going into an overpriced convenience store to stand in a queue to pay is neither easy or convenient.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree there. I find it quite easy and convenient.
Instead over the last few years they've all rolled out their own apps
Sure, but they don't force you to use them.

Look, we've had this argument before and I don't see any point in going around in circles. I believe credit cards should be accepted at DCFC's, and you guys don't. That's fine. It's nice that Evie has given it a go (although the debit vs credit card restriction is a bit rich!)

I believe credit cards should be accepted at DCFC's, and you guys don't.

My quote was “If people really want tap-and-go payments then OK”. In what way is that stating the capability should not be provided?

What gets my goat is when those same people then complain that they don’t get the same features or information about their charging session as those who use the Apps, or complain about the pre-auths 🙄.

Who has downloaded 27 Apps for charging their EV? I have downloaded 8 Apps out of curiosity, but have only used 3 of them for charging. It’s not remotely a big deal.
I'm at 12. Or 13 if you count both Evie apps.

Evie
Chargefox
BP Pulse
AmpCharge
MyNRMA
Exploren
Jolt
Elanga
EVX
UpCharge
SmartCharge
ChargePoint

I used one of the also-rans apps (Exploren) just last night, at a car dealership in Canberra, for a few minutes while visiting the McBathroom next door. Turns out I needed that charge too, as uber offered me a really nice job to Cooma North (err, Banks) later.

And while I could have used the Hyper-D Supercharger on the way back just as easily, it's nice to charge when the opportunity arises. Even if it means yet another damned app for another obscure charger!

I used one of the also-rans apps (Exploren) just last night, at a car dealership in Canberra, for a few minutes while visiting the McBathroom next door. Turns out I needed that charge too, as uber offered me a really nice job to Cooma North (err, Banks) later.

And while I could have used the Hyper-D Supercharger on the way back just as easily, it's nice to charge when the opportunity arises. Even if it means yet another damned app for another obscure charger!
Exploren also has the chargers at Coles Dickson.

• Informative
Reactions: Zinzilla
Evie have posted an end of year round up on LinkedIn

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 17.25.29.png

1703125049348.jpeg

Evie Networks on LinkedIn: 201 Evie sites nationwide to end the year! 🎉 Wow, what an incredible…

Still saying 97% uptime heading into Christmas.

Can it do 4 cars simultaneously though… one thing I don’t like about Evie’s and all the other non-Tesla networks is that they express the availability of plugs based on the total number of plugs at the site, even if they cannot all be used simultaneously. This annoys me greatly.

For a 2-stall site with 4 plugs that can actually charge only 2 cars at once, availability should be given as “2 out of 2” available, not “4 out of 4”. As soon as the first plug is used, availability will suddenly drop to be “2 out of 4”. WTH?

As per my other post on Erlang probabilities, even 2 vs 4 makes a very big difference as to how likely that station will still have an available plug by the time you get there. I think the current practice does not correctly set driver expectations.