Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested in trying it out. I signed up and confirmed it with the email but it says my username or password is wrong. It isn't. I changed my password several times and noting works to get into the program. Is there a delay with new users being able to access the site?

Cheers,

GG

Reactions: mmccord
Tried the site. I put in a route and checked the box for round trip. The results seemed ok. Then I reset and rentered the same data. No box to check for round trip and it said it couldn't find the cities. I'm going to stay with Ben.

Reactions: Owner
evtripping.com is a new routing site that will be of interest to users of evtripplanner.com. The new site looks to provide similar functionality. From the new site's FAQ:evtripping.com will be supported by ads and, possibly in the future, subscription.

For Tesla owners who're not familiar with evtripplanner.com and/or evtripping.com: they provide detailed routing and energy use calculations, taking into account elevation changes, temperatures, car and tire models, etc. etc.

Always good to have redundancy (Although what would be really cool is an app)
Alas the route compute stage is so slow that the site was not useful for me at all.
Need more backend compute?

... I'm going to stay with Ben.
Ben's site is certainly more mature and reliable at this time than the new one. Because, for me, evtripplanner.com has been essential in planning road trips, I have supported Ben with a donation and have had positive communications with him. But I've always been nervous about the fact that there's been only one supplier of such an important resource, and one for whom it's possible the service may not rank high on his list of personal goals going forward (IIRC Ben is about to start his sophomore year at Stanford). So I was glad to see evtripping.com, and now I plan to support *both* sites with usage, bug reports, and constructive criticism.

I want to get from Work to Home, then go from Home to Airport, and back to Home again. i.e. (B) and (D) are the same location.

When I try to do that it drops (c) and (d) and just gives me an (a) and (b) journey. (If I put somewhere nearby in for (D) it works).

Its choice of supercharger, on that route, has me arriving at -2 miles ... bit too tight for me!!

evtripping01.jpg

That supercharger is also 8 miles and nearly 15 minutes off my route ... although the other, better placed, superchargers en-route might require longer charging as they would be earlier in my journey.

I want to get from Work to Home, then go from Home to Airport, and back to Home again. i.e. (B) and (D) are the same location.

When I try to do that it drops (c) and (d) and just gives me an (a) and (b) journey. (If I put somewhere nearby in for (D) it works).

Its choice of supercharger, on that route, has me arriving at -2 miles ... bit too tight for me!!

View attachment 190319

That supercharger is also 8 miles and nearly 15 minutes off my route ... although the other, better placed, superchargers en-route might require longer charging as they would be earlier in my journey.
What is your Charging "Safety Margin"? 0? Username (upper right) / Car Preferences / Safety Margin
There is also a FAQ on the site asking for a bug report if charging is >100 or <0. ;)

I had a routing bug a week or so ago, reported it inside EVTripping itself, and received a quick email reply and correction within a day that way. I doubt very much from the developer's upthread comments he is going to watch this thread as closely as he will his own site.

Last edited:
What is your Charging "Safety Margin"?

Thanks. Its 12 % - don't remember setting that so might be a default, or just a failure of "my age" !! or perhaps I misread and thought it was Miles.

... on the same vein I'd forgotten that I had set "Speed addition 5 MPH" as its not on the Routing form, so a bit out-of-sight. Perhaps details of the relevant options could be "printed" on the Route Details (as a reminder) (I'd actually prefer that THAT was in Percent!! so it varied according to the road - my MPH-Over at 70 on the highway is different to when I am in a 30 MPH limit)

you may want to make possible bug reports inside EVTripping itself

I went that route first and I got to this bit "Screen shots are helpful for visual issues or to clarify the problem. Upload to a sharing site like Dropbox and paste the URL into the contact form." and, whilst happy to help, decided that was too much like hard work, sorry.

I'd also prefer a "published issues" facility on the web rather than private messages. Don't really want to go to the trouble of reporting something already known, and helpful to know other peoples' issues that I might be stumbling over ... and I also think it is helpful so that if someone says "Please do X" and then if everyone else says "Why would you want that?, I do Y" it eases the PR job for the Developers :) ... but that's just me.

... I got to this bit "Screen shots are helpful for visual issues or to clarify the problem. Upload to a sharing site like Dropbox and paste the URL into the contact form." and, whilst happy to help, decided that was too much like hard work, sorry. ...
A bit off topic, but... there's a free (for this kind of purpose) Win/Mac/Linux/Chrome/Firefox app and service that takes screenshots, puts them on a server, and provides you a link you can paste. I encountered it in the support thread of an unrelated software product. The "hard work" of downloading the app and signing up is a one-time effort. Gyazo - Pricing & Plans

View attachment 190319

We've been fixing some of the odd charge times and the quality of the routes and power used based on a lot of user feedback. Shouldnt see the -2's any more but if you do please let us know.

Thanks again folks for the continued feedback. A few quick updates:

1) The round trip option is available now
2) Waypoint options (able to charge flag, layover option) are available now
3) Many routing algorithm improvements around the routes and power used
4) For those connecting their Teslas (we have over 140 connected now) you can now have the site check daily if your car is plugged in and remind you if it isnt. There's also an annual service reminder (in addition to the tire rotation reminder that was already there).

Lots of other continued improvements coming. The change history is here:
EVTripping | Timeline

Thanks again folks for the continued feedback. A few quick updates:

1) The round trip option is available now
2) Waypoint options (able to charge flag, layover option) are available now
3) Many routing algorithm improvements around the routes and power used
4) For those connecting their Teslas (we have over 140 connected now) you can now have the site check daily if your car is plugged in and remind you if it isnt. There's also an annual service reminder (in addition to the tire rotation reminder that was already there).

Lots of other continued improvements coming. The change history is here:
EVTripping | Timeline
Could you give us some detail on a) how our Tesla tokens are protected b) how is the site secured? Much appreciated as several of us would feel more comfortable with tranparancy.

Could you give us some detail on a) how our Tesla tokens are protected b) how is the site secured? Much appreciated as several of us would feel more comfortable with tranparancy.
FWIW, I ran across a number of FAQs on his site earlier today that help answer your question. Go here to access EVTripping Help. Then click the "Supported EVs" tab. FAQs 8, 9, 10, & 12 will likely be of most interest for your (and many of our) concern. Appears to be very straight up, esp when you read the explanation and recommendation in FAQ 12. The same concern of a token being maintained by any server-based app exists IF you elect to provide it. Point is, if you don't want to connect your Tesla to use some of the optional extended function EVTripping offers, you don't have to, and the growing routing capabilities are still available for your use and enjoyment.

Could you give us some detail on a) how our Tesla tokens are protected b) how is the site secured? Much appreciated as several of us would feel more comfortable with transparency.

Generally, as others said, the best protection is NOT to connect your site to anything but the site run by Tesla. I'd include mobile apps in addition to websites but especially with websites.

That may sound odd as I made one to do just that but some people want the convenience.

Anyway, the site does not log or preserve the Tesla account password. All access to the site is via a high-grade SSL certificate (encrypted traffic). Once the site authenticates with Tesla it gets a token which is used to access the car API for all future accesses until you disconnect it. Once disconnected the token is discarded and you'd have to log in again.

The site itself is at a high-grade provider locked down with certificate only-access etc. I've developed enterprise-grade software for the FBI, CIA, NSA and others in the past and have gone through their rounds of requirements and testing. I did have a bigger team back then but very similar principles apply :)

If you're concerned, don't connect your car.

Since we're on the topic I REALLY wish Tesla would officially publish an API then let the owners restrict apps abilities to what they can/can't do. All EVTripping is doing is fetching daily mileage information. It does not need or want access to open your sunroof, start your car, etc. But with the current unofficial API, it's all or nothing which is a terrible security model.

Generally, as others said, the best protection is NOT to connect your site to anything but the site run by Tesla. I'd include mobile apps in addition to websites but especially with websites.

That may sound odd as I made one to do just that but some people want the convenience.

Anyway, the site does not log or preserve the Tesla account password. All access to the site is via a high-grade SSL certificate (encrypted traffic). Once the site authenticates with Tesla it gets a token which is used to access the car API for all future accesses until you disconnect it. Once disconnected the token is discarded and you'd have to log in again.

The site itself is at a high-grade provider locked down with certificate only-access etc. I've developed enterprise-grade software for the FBI, CIA, NSA and others in the past and have gone through their rounds of requirements and testing. I did have a bigger team back then but very similar principles apply :)

If you're concerned, don't connect your car.

Since we're on the topic I REALLY wish Tesla would officially publish an API then let the owners restrict apps abilities to what they can/can't do. All EVTripping is doing is fetching daily mileage information. It does not need or want access to open your sunroof, start your car, etc. But with the current unofficial API, it's all or nothing which is a terrible security model.
Very helpful. Thank you! Also thanks @BertL

I have been using the EVtripping website for about 20 days now. Daily logs are gathered showing me my 24 hour distances and charging. I found out that you can tell the site when to gather your daily log. This is best done when your car's charging is typically done. For me that is 7 AM.

Also I used the planning feature to plan out a future trip to Naples, FL from Connecticut. We shall be stopping at three locations (Richmond, VA, Asheville, NC, Atlanta, GA and Ocala, FL enroute). You can even identify waypoints that are destination charge locations as well. Very nice.

I am impressed with this site so far. It is getting better. The degradation calculation is interesting. One feature I wish for is to be able to enter my car's as new 90% rated miles so that the degradation is calculated from my car's specific metric.

I have been using the EVtripping website for about 20 days now. Daily logs are gathered showing me my 24 hour distances and charging. I found out that you can tell the site when to gather your daily log. This is best done when your car's charging is typically done. For me that is 7 AM.

Also I used the planning feature to plan out a future trip to Naples, FL from Connecticut. We shall be stopping at three locations (Richmond, VA, Asheville, NC, Atlanta, GA and Ocala, FL enroute). You can even identify waypoints that are destination charge locations as well. Very nice.

I am impressed with this site so far. It is getting better. The degradation calculation is interesting. One feature I wish for is to be able to enter my car's as new 90% rated miles so that the degradation is calculated from my car's specific metric.

Thanks @ArtInCT, that's a good idea on the degradation. I'll add it to the list.

• Helpful
Reactions: Pdkj
One other thing I have noticed. On the planning side, the Intra-Supercharger stops kind of assume or are designed to get you to a Supercharger with about what appears to be 10% +/- charge remaining. Likewise, the estimated charge time while at the SuperCharger appears to be calculated on this as well. My trip will be in the winter months and I would like to have a bit of a larger "buffer". I am not sure if you gather what I am looking for but perhaps I would like to arrive at a Supercharger with a bit MORE buffer in the battery.

Perhaps I am anxious about the drain that HVAC will take during the January time frame? Your thoughts and experience are welcome on this issue.

Last edited:
On other thing I have noticed. On the planning side, the Intra-Supercharger stops kind of assume or are designed to get you to a Supercharger with about what appears to be 10% +/- charge remaining. Likewise, the estimated charge time while at the SuperCharger appears to be calculated on this as well. My trip will be in the winter months and I would like to have a bit of a larger "buffer". I am not sure if you gather what I am looking for but perhaps I would like to arrive at a Supercharger with a bit MORE buffer in the battery.

Perhaps I am anxious about the drain that HVAC will take during the January time frame? Your thoughts and experience are welcome on this issue.

The "Safety Margin" feature is just what this is for. It's the minimum charge level you'd be comfortable pulling into a charger with. I've been playing with the default over time. I started at 12% which seems to be close to what Tesla is using but then too many people didn't know about it and couldn't route to where they wanted to go.

Anyway, change that (car preferences) to a bigger number. It will find a route (if possible) that maintains that margin. In the Winter, I'd bump mine to 20% here in the Northeast.

One other thought(s).... we like to limit our travels on a daily basis to a certain number of miles on long trips.... in the planning section, if there was a variable we could enter that says.... "Draw a daily circle of X miles" where X is that daily variable, then we could plan and look for a destination Hotel/Inn/B&B which is in that area.

As it stands now, I have to print out the plan, and do a calculation to kind of figure out where we will be after X miles...

Also, some folks would probably rather define this in a TIME factor.... In other words.... we want to only be in the car for 6 hours where will be be in six hours of time?

These are really gilting the Lilly but would be helpful in a TRIP PREFERENCES perspective.

Integration with the Tesla Destination charging hotels/Inns/motels/etc would also be helpful perhaps??