Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expected price for a home charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our installer also did back entry to the unit leaving no external cable on show. The internal run went up and over the garage ceiling (all neatly clipped in) and then down the other wall straight into the back of the meter box. I was really impressed with the PodPoint installer.

Attachments

• IMG_20200421_120836.jpg
    IMG_20200421_120836.jpg
    887.2 KB · Views: 48
I’m currently gathering quotes ahead of receiving my M3 in September. Prices for tethered installation are ranging from about £700 up to £900 for the Andersen. We’re planning to move in the next 12 months so I think I’m going to stick with granny charging. Another alternative is to get a commando socket installed outside so I don’t need to run a cable under/through my garage door but I suspect the cost of parts and labour will still be several hundred pounds.
Aasuming you have access to a larger grant rather than the usual 350?

Our installer also did back entry to the unit leaving no external cable on show. The internal run went up and over the garage ceiling (all neatly clipped in) and then down the other wall straight into the back of the meter box. I was really impressed with the PodPoint installer.

Is the pod-point tethered cable retractable? (ie. it automatically retracts into the unit) or does it just wrap around the charger? Thanks!

I am curious about something... I seem to see lots of UK and EU owners installing third party chargers - mostly the same L2 speed as what comes with the car. Why? Why not just install the proper outlet and use the mobile charger. I must be missing something.
The 3rd party chargers we're installing are mostly 7.2kW which provide around 27 miles of range per hour on a model 3 vs the 8 miles of range per hour with 2.3kW mobile charger.

There are government grants to help with the installation costs of these so it's an attractive proposition for most.

Our plug sockets run at 230V standard so no real need to upgrade these to support the mobile charger.

The 3rd party chargers we're installing are mostly 7.2kW which provide around 27 miles of range per hour on a model 3 vs the 8 miles of range per hour with 2.3kW mobile charger.

There are government grants to help with the installation costs of these so it's an attractive proposition for most.

Our plug sockets run at 230V standard so no real need to upgrade these to support the mobile charger.
So your mobile chargers are only 2.3kW? That certainly explains the motivation, grant/rebate or no.

I am wondering why the US mobile chargers support 32A /240 and provide 7.6kW while the UK/EU is version is less than half? There is no Tesla Plug and UK/EU standard receptacle for higher amperage on 240V? The 3rd party chargers are all direct wired?

With the government grant, the charger has to be smart compatible to allow for future use of car to grid and control of charging in peak periods etc. I think, don't quote me, the charger operators have to be licenced energy generators too due to this. Only recently has Tesla applied for this in the UK.
So the government see the TWC as a dumb charger and is not part of the grant scheme.

So your mobile chargers are only 2.3kW? That certainly explains the motivation, grant/rebate or no.

I am wondering why the US mobile chargers support 32A /240 and provide 7.6kW while the UK/EU is version is less than half? There is no Tesla Plug and UK/EU standard receptacle for higher amperage on 240V? The 3rd party chargers are all direct wired?
Older house cabling? Our electric sockets are usually limited to 13A.

Hey folks,

i can't help but to think I'm being taken for a ride with the government grant thing and having electricians bump up their price by stupid amounts knowing that you're considering the grant in the price.

How much have people paid for their chargers, all in?

For e.g. - I'm being quoted for a pretty simple install consisting of:
* Maybe 5 metres of cable run
* ohme wall charger
* usual enclosure with RCD, mains tail, henley block
* earth spike

Total price of about £600 after VAT.

Is this an 'expected amount?'

Anyone know what the Enclosure is for a Black Ohme charger?
I asked the guys fitting and all they said was that It will come with a seperate earth rod
hmm...

Older house cabling? Our electric sockets are usually limited to 13A.
Ring mains. We have 30A loops with multiple sockets (and fused plugs) while in Europe they have individual fused spurs and plugs without fuses (so their standard socket is 16A). There is a 16/32A unfused socket used in the UK, but its more industrial than domestic and by the time you have put in a dedicated spur (plus the robust safety devices which are now mandated) the saving is not great.

For 16/32A commando style options, allow £50 for decent interlocked switch/socket with IP65 rating, then £3 per metre for 10mm2 SWA cable, plus whatever MCB/RCBO units you need. And your electrician install/sign-off fees.

I went a bit silly and opted for IP67/68 ABB interlocked units at £100 each but this is because we live in an area where an inch of rain can take hours not days, and conditions generally harsher half way up some hills.

Even buying the posher stuff brings me to a sensible budget for parts given I’m doing 2 locations across 2 separate supplies, as I put money into a fancier UMC-style charger, so not limited to using the investment at my own location - but maybe mine isn’t that common a scenario.

The chances of someone turning up where we live to do the grant-supported type install without me being annoyed at their pricing were pretty limited so decided just to swallow the extra charger cost, but it is reusable if we move and hopefully lasts more than one lease period.

Have you found a supplier yet? if not try the podpoint website directly, it's £529 fully fitted through them
That's my backup! I'd prefer something a bit smarter - the ohme syncs nicely with my agile octopus tariff and I wouldn't mind spending a bit (under 70 quid as it currently stands) for that. Waiting for one more quote from octopus themselves then biting the bullet.

Price sounds about right. The electricians are playing it with the grant so they maximise their profits

I asked an electrician that does work at our workplace. And he said his mate that is registered for Olev doesn’t do it anymore because it takes an age to receive that money from the grant.

This might be why smaller businesses (one man bands) inflate the prices where larger scale businesses can afford to wait for the rebate for longer periods.

I’m on the same situation as the op and it’s a bit of a messy minefield out there for someone just taking on to EV’s