Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Service Agreements No Longer Transferable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked to my sales rep, who talked to her boss and he said it was transferrable. I asked for it in writing, and they agreed to give it to me in writing that it would be transferrable on a new P90DL I'm looking at purchasing.

I talked to my sales rep, who talked to her boss and he said it was transferrable. I asked for it in writing, and they agreed to give it to me in writing that it would be transferrable on a new P90DL I'm looking at purchasing.
That's not the type of transferable this thread is talking about, they're talking about transferring to another owner of the same car, not another car of the same owner.

That's not the type of transferable this thread is talking about, they're talking about transferring to another owner of the same car, not another car of the same owner.

I know that, that's what I'm talking about. I specifically told them I find the value of the car to be far less if I can't transfer the warranty to a new owner and they agreed. The manager said he would give it to me in writing that I would be able to transfer the extended warranty to a new owner should I sell the car.

I know that, that's what I'm talking about. I specifically told them I find the value of the car to be far less if I can't transfer the warranty to a new owner and they agreed. The manager said he would give it to me in writing that I would be able to transfer the extended warranty to a new owner should I sell the car.

The issue here is not that it is technically possible to transfer the extended warranty but how you can do that and how you can obtain assurance from Tesla BEFORE selling the car that they consider the ESA to be valid and that they will absolutely honor the transfer when you sell the car.

The reason for this concern is unlike other car manufacturers Tesla has an "inspection" provision on the contract before they agree to transfer the warranty and if you read the ESA Extended Warranty contract provisions literary as it is written now, they can do that inspection after the car is sold and then not transfer the warranty by claiming the "inspection" failed.

Some are saying they will not do that and what I along with a bunch of others are saying is if they plan on not doing that, why have that language on the contract.

Why look both ways before crossing the street even if you've got the green light and traffic has the red? Answer: to protect one's self.

That's exactly why this thread is 47 pages long. Some of us want to be protected with a clear and fair contract and not potentially end up with having bought or sold a car with an ESA Extended Warranty that would not transfer or be valid for whatever reason.

That's exactly why this thread is 47 pages long. Some of us want to be protected with a clear and fair contract and not potentially end up with having bought or sold a car with an ESA Extended Warranty that would not transfer or be valid for whatever reason.

Then protect yourself. It's not rocket science how to do that just use common sense, but remember Tesla has every right to protect themselves as well. And they even get to do it the way they want, just as you do.

The real reason this thread is 47 pages long is because this forum community has some members that are committed to full dissection of every single, itty, bitty thing, with a sprinkling of pitbull-can't-drop-the-bone-until-everyone-agrees-with-me syndrome, with the occasional free drama lesson. Actually, 47 pages seems a bit light at this point. :tongue:

The real reason this thread is 47 pages long is because this forum community has some members that are committed to full dissection of every single, itty, bitty thing, with a sprinkling of pitbull-can't-drop-the-bone-until-everyone-agrees-with-me syndrome, with the occasional free drama lesson.
No, the real reason is that consumers have a reasonable expectation in their dealings with a supplier of a product. When the supplier's terms are unclear or clearly anti-consumer, consumers have a right to complain or not purchase the product.

Here, the issue is Tesla's ESA has onerous and/or ambiguous terms that cannot provide any confidence of the transferability of the ESA to a private buyer.

Sorry you have to be so judgmental. Perhaps you need to take a chill pill.

Then protect yourself. It's not rocket science how to do that just use common sense, but remember Tesla has every right to protect themselves as well. And they even get to do it the way they want, just as you do.

So your definition of Tesla protecting themselves is to have ambiguous wording on a warranty contract that no other automobile manufacturer in the world that I know of has? These ambiguous provisions can be invoked by Tesla as grounds to not transfer a warranty after a sale has been made any time they choose to exercise that option. Oops, the "inspection" failed, the warranty is invalid and will not transfer is not a situation a buyer or seller should find themselves in after buying or selling a car.

This is not about protecting anyone but having a badly written and ambiguous provisions on a warranty contract that Tesla can invoke at any point, essentially screwing both the buyer and the seller.

I realize this thread has been dormant for a month, but it was the most recent I could find on the subject and I'm looking to buy from a private party... I found these two paragraphs on the Tesla support website (underline/color is my emphasis). Appears the Extended Service Agreement is transferable.

Can I transfer my Tesla Service Plan or Extended Service to the new owner if I sell my Tesla vehicle?

Yes, you can transfer the unused portion of your Tesla Service Plan or Extended Service Agreement with the sale of your Tesla. In addition, we’re going to take this opportunity to go one step further: Tesla owners can transfer the unused value of your Extended Service Agreement towards an Extended Service Agreement for a new Tesla Model S or Model X. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for your Tesla Service Plan or Extended Service for more information. You can view these Terms and Conditions after logging into your Tesla account. Click on “Services Sign Up” and following the appropriate link for your chosen plan.

When do I need to purchase a Tesla Service Plan or Extended Service and what do they cover?

You are eligible to purchase any of our Tesla Service Plans within 60 days after taking delivery of your Tesla vehicle (or before delivery). You are not required to purchase a Tesla Service Plan and are able to pay for your Annual Service Inspection per each appointment. Tesla Service Plans are simply prepaying at a discount for your annual inspections. See the Tesla Service Plan Terms and Conditions for further details.

You may purchase Extended Service up to 30 days prior to the expiration of your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Extended Service provides an additional 4 years or 50,000 miles (whichever comes first), of coverage after the expiration of your New Vehicle Limited Warranty to cover the repair or replacement of Model S parts due to defects in materials or workmanship provided by Tesla, excluding the vehicle’s lithium-ion battery. Extended Service is not dependent on purchasing a Tesla Service Plan. See the Extended Service Terms and Conditions for further details.​

I realize this thread has been dormant for a month, but it was the most recent I could find on the subject and I'm looking to buy from a private party... I found these two paragraphs on the Tesla support website (underline/color is my emphasis). Appears the Extended Service Agreement is transferable.

Can I transfer my Tesla Service Plan or Extended Service to the new owner if I sell my Tesla vehicle?

Yes, you can transfer the unused portion of your Tesla Service Plan or Extended Service Agreement with the sale of your Tesla. In addition, we’re going to take this opportunity to go one step further: Tesla owners can transfer the unused value of your Extended Service Agreement towards an Extended Service Agreement for a new Tesla Model S or Model X. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for your Tesla Service Plan or Extended Service for more information. You can view these Terms and Conditions after logging into your Tesla account. Click on “Services Sign Up” and following the appropriate link for your chosen plan.

When do I need to purchase a Tesla Service Plan or Extended Service and what do they cover?

You are eligible to purchase any of our Tesla Service Plans within 60 days after taking delivery of your Tesla vehicle (or before delivery). You are not required to purchase a Tesla Service Plan and are able to pay for your Annual Service Inspection per each appointment. Tesla Service Plans are simply prepaying at a discount for your annual inspections. See the Tesla Service Plan Terms and Conditions for further details.

You may purchase Extended Service up to 30 days prior to the expiration of your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Extended Service provides an additional 4 years or 50,000 miles (whichever comes first), of coverage after the expiration of your New Vehicle Limited Warranty to cover the repair or replacement of Model S parts due to defects in materials or workmanship provided by Tesla, excluding the vehicle’s lithium-ion battery. Extended Service is not dependent on purchasing a Tesla Service Plan. See the Extended Service Terms and Conditions for further details.​

Interesting. So it appears the Extended Warranty can indeed be transferred to another party when I sell. Anyone confirm they have done this?

The real reason this thread is 47 pages long is because this forum community has some members that are committed to full dissection of every single, itty, bitty thing, with a sprinkling of pitbull-can't-drop-the-bone-until-everyone-agrees-with-me syndrome, with the occasional free drama lesson. Actually, 47 pages seems a bit light at this point. :tongue:

LOL! SO TRUE...